PDA

View Full Version : USB problem

mrbeach
11-07-19, 11:53
Have mounted a 32gB USB and want to put my picons on this.Ttried to create a folder named picon on it
but when i try to put my picon in that folder i get notified that it is not enough with memory !!

What am I doing wrong :confused::confused:

abu baniaz
11-07-19, 12:09
What file system is the USB stick in?

If in exfat, you need to install the exfat drivers
If in ntfs, you need to insyall ntfs-3g drivers

mrbeach
11-07-19, 16:34
What file system is the USB stick in?

If in exfat, you need to install the exfat drivers
If in ntfs, you need to insyall ntfs-3g drivers
I dont know how can i see that?
and how do i install that drivers?
i have mounted the USB in the box (Edision mi4K)

mrbeach
11-07-19, 17:58
if i have mounted the USB in the box it must be EXT 4 Or?

birdman
11-07-19, 21:27
Installing picons can require hard-links, so if it would need to be ext4. exfat/ntfs can't handle them.

Not sure what error message you end up with though. Posting the exact text would be helpful - I can't see it being any issue with "out of memory" as the picons are on a file-system, not in memory.

abu baniaz
12-07-19, 00:58
Issue the following command will show you the storage device details (Putty guide in my signature if you need it)

df -Th

mrbeach
12-07-19, 09:17
Issue the following command will show you the storage device details (Putty guide in my signature if you need it)

df -Th

Ok Here you are.

abu baniaz
12-07-19, 11:19
All your storage device are ext4. As per Birdman's post, the exact text and maybe also debug log may show the issue. Which picon set?

EDIT:
Highlighting everything in putty automatically copies. Just in case you want to paste details instead of screenhot. Maybe I'll add to putty guide

Ashley69
12-07-19, 11:20
Can’t quite see but it looks like your usb has a partition. I would put it a Pc and completely format it removing the partition. Then put back in and initialise it.

mrbeach
12-07-19, 20:11
It is 2 USB one with 8 Gb and one with 32 Gb

mrbeach
19-07-19, 09:59
Now I have identified the problem.
but not found a solution :-(
As you can be seen on the screen dump, there are some small picons that cannot be transferred.
This picon is only at 13.4kb but it is said that there is no space on my USB memory

Andy_Hazza
19-07-19, 10:30
Solo4K has plenty of flash space, store to flash instead of using multiple USB’s etc. Store your EPG data to your HDD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrbeach
19-07-19, 10:53
It's not in my Solo 4K
it is an Edision os mio 4k with multiboot i have 4 different images in that box so bring picons in the hard disk is better
otherwise I have to store them again if I install a new image

twol
19-07-19, 10:56
.... just wonder if it is a „false“ usb with only minimal memory (tricked to indicate 32GB but not installed) - I would try another usb.

Andy_Hazza
19-07-19, 11:00
So why have you posted in the Vu+ support section?!?

Andy_Hazza
19-07-19, 11:02
otherwise I have to store them again if I install a new image

Not at all if you utilise the full capabilities of Image Backups etc. [emoji1787]

mrbeach
19-07-19, 11:45
So why have you posted in the Vu+ support section?!?

The Problem started vith my solo 4K but solved that by install in root/picon

mrbeach
19-07-19, 11:47
See picture in post 6

mrbeach
19-07-19, 11:49
Not at all if you utilise the full capabilities of Image Backups etc. [emoji1787]

Ok but how do i do that?

mrbeach
19-07-19, 15:21
Now I have identified the problem.
but not found a solution :-(
As you can be seen on the screen dump, there are some small picons that cannot be transferred.
This picon is only at 13.4kb but it is said that there is no space on my USB memory

The strange thing is that i can transfer a lot of picons but some like this one i can not transfer

abu baniaz
19-07-19, 16:32
I think it is the filename.

Andy_Hazza
19-07-19, 17:03
The strange thing is that i can transfer a lot of picons but some like this one i can not transfer

Rename is as a SNP instead, may get better joy.

mrbeach
19-07-19, 17:57
I think it is the filename.

can you see the differes betwen this two?
One of them works but not the other onley differens is the name
1_0_19_2349_53_46_E080000_0_0_0
1_0_19_2342_52_46_E080000_0_0_0

mrbeach
19-07-19, 18:11
Rename is as a SNP instead, may get better joy.

How can i rename a *.png file to a *.snp file?

abu baniaz
19-07-19, 22:10
Your file name appeared to have accents on them, I may be mistaken, picture was not very clear. Apologies if that is the case. Best you upload the transfer log that will show the problem.

The suggestion was not to change to .snp, but to use SNP names, not reference names. They will remain .png files

birdman
20-07-19, 02:00
This picon is only at 13.4kb but it is said that there is no space on my USB memoryThe size of the individual file is irrelevant when you're copying lots of them.
It's the total size that matters.
You haven't shown the state of the file-system when the error occurs.
Is it full?

Andy_Hazza
20-07-19, 09:09
can you see the differes betwen this two?
One of them works but not the other onley differens is the name
1_0_19_2349_53_46_E080000_0_0_0
1_0_19_2342_52_46_E080000_0_0_0

What is the channel name? SNP for Sky Atlantic for example is skyatlantic to give you an idea
Also lets use ITV+1 as an example, that would be itvplus1

Hope this helps.

mrbeach
21-07-19, 10:21
I give up now.
Adds my picons to user / share / enigma2 / picon instead.
The reason I wanted them on HDD is that Edision os mio 4K has 4 partitions one for each image in multiboot.
so you have to edit picons 4 times.
The reason why I wanted an Edision os mio 4K is that VU + solo 4K cannot handle blind scan and I use it to find feeds on different satellites.

Andy_Hazza
21-07-19, 10:28
Picons go to the root of the device. So if on a usb you would have a folder called “picon” to the root of the usb stick. Not hard really...

mrbeach
21-07-19, 10:53
Exaktly.
But Edision os mio 4K have 4 separate partitions, which means that there are 4 Roots.
If I place picons in eg openvix partition 1 then they will not appear in partition 2 where i have openhdf.
I use all 4 different images Hope you understand

birdman
21-07-19, 14:39
I give up now.Well, so far you've only reported that it doesn't work - not really shown why.
All there is is a fuzzy image showing an unhelpful "553 Could not create file" FTP error.

When that error occurs, what does the target file-system look like?

And, although it is fuzzy, you do seem to be copying them to /media/hdd/picon rather than /media/usb/picon. Which doesn't tie in with your original stated aim of wishing to put them onto your 32GB USB stick.

mrbeach
21-07-19, 15:53
Well, so far you've only reported that it doesn't work - not really shown why.
All there is is a fuzzy image showing an unhelpful "553 Could not create file" FTP error.

When that error occurs, what does the target file-system look like?

And, although it is fuzzy, you do seem to be copying them to /media/hdd/picon rather than /media/usb/picon. Which doesn't tie in with your original stated aim of wishing to put them onto your 32GB USB stick.

It is a 32GB USB that comes as HDD when I install it.
there is no other HDD connected to the box

Andy_Hazza
21-07-19, 16:14
Format the usb to fat32 and install the picons to the root of your usb stick. On the usb stick put all your picons in a folder called “picon”

Joe_90
21-07-19, 17:16
Are you sure you can use picons successfully on a FAT32 filesystem? The picons use hard links which are ok on linux filesystems but not supported well on the microsoft fat32.

EDIT - scratch that - it may be just Ocram's picons which use the folder links, which is what I've been using for years. Other picon sets may not need the symlinks.

birdman
21-07-19, 18:31
It is a 32GB USB that comes as HDD when I install it.
there is no other HDD connected to the boxHowever, your post of a console login in post #8 (https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?61553-USB-problem&p=486986&viewfull=1#post486986) shows that USB stick is mounted on /media/usb.

You (fuzzy) post of a GUI FTP client image in post #11 (https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?61553-USB-problem&p=487193&viewfull=1#post487193) seems to show you copying things to /media/hdd/picon, which isn't on the USB stick.

mrbeach
21-07-19, 21:54
However, your post of a console login in post #8 (https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?61553-USB-problem&p=486986&viewfull=1#post486986) shows that USB stick is mounted on /media/usb.

You (fuzzy) post of a GUI FTP client image in post #11 (https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?61553-USB-problem&p=487193&viewfull=1#post487193) seems to show you copying things to /media/hdd/picon, which isn't on the USB stick.

In post 8 I had 2 usb mounted 1 on 8 gb and 1 on 32 gb but in post 11 I removed the 8 gb USB and have only one with32 gb

mrbeach
21-07-19, 21:58
Format the usb to fat32 and install the picons to the root of your usb stick. On the usb stick put all your picons in a folder called “picon”

The USB is not fat 32 it is EXT 3 mounted in the box!

mrbeach
21-07-19, 21:59
Are you sure you can use picons successfully on a FAT32 filesystem? The picons use hard links which are ok on linux filesystems but not supported well on the microsoft fat32.

EDIT - scratch that - it may be just Ocram's picons which use the folder links, which is what I've been using for years. Other picon sets may not need the symlinks.

birdman
22-07-19, 02:51
In post 8 I had 2 usb mounted 1 on 8 gb and 1 on 32 gb but in post 11 I removed the 8 gb USB and have only one with32 gbSo you removed the 8GB one hence turning /media/usb into /media/hdd?
And those of us trying to help you with your problem are supposed to know this somehow?

It helps to go into the mount manager to ensure that a particular device will always be mounted in the same location, regardless of what else is around and how quickly devices are found at boot time.

But there is still no indication at all of what the actual error is.

Is the file system actually full?

Once that one file doesn't copy, can you copy any other file?

birdman
22-07-19, 02:53
The USB is not fat 32 it is EXT 3 mounted in the box!Ignore comments about fat32 versus ext3/4.
If it won't copy onto an ext3/4 file system it won't copy onto a fat one either.

The only illegal characters on an ext3/4 file system are "/" (the directory separator) and a zero-byte (end-of-string).

Andy_Hazza
22-07-19, 09:04

What I’m saying to you is, format the usb stick on a computer to Fat32 and transfer your picons to the newly formatted usb stick after.
Obviously you are struggling and doing as I say will be simpler for you.

mrbeach
22-07-19, 10:56
What I’m saying to you is, format the usb stick on a computer to Fat32 and transfer your picons to the newly formatted usb stick after.
Obviously you are struggling and doing as I say will be simpler for you.

Ok so a Enigma2 box can read fat 32?
Is there a way to format a ext3 to fat32

Andy_Hazza
22-07-19, 12:53
Yes your computer can format to Fat32.
What else are you using a 32gb usb for?

Andy_Hazza
22-07-19, 12:54
Also have you thought of a microSD card for your storage/HDD needs?

mrbeach
22-07-19, 14:46
Yes your computer can format to Fat32.
What else are you using a 32gb usb for?

It seems like I have now solved the problem.
I removed the 32gb usb memory and inserted a 4gb usb and mounted it as USB and created a picon folder on it.
The question now that a folder was created on the USB
named HDD / movie and an HDD / timeshift.
how do i make recordings end up on 32gb memory?
Can i erase HDD / movie and HDD / hour shift.On the 4gb memory?

Andy_Hazza
22-07-19, 15:33
If using a 4gb usb as a HDD just use for picons and disable all Timeshift and Recordings as 4gb isn’t sufficient.

Joe_90
22-07-19, 16:46
@mrbeach - now that you have successfully set up a picon folder on your 4GB USB stick and have failed to do it so far on your 32GB stick (out of space error), it would seem that you have either a faulty or fake 32GB stick.
If you are proposing to use a USB stick as a recording device, then you need a lot more capacity. 4 - 5GB per hour of HDTV may be required. High capacity SD cards are a bit of a lottery for timeshifting/recording video files. You would need to ensure that the card is the "high endurance" type or use a genuine branded USB stick of 64 - 128GB. Alternatively, a 2.5" HDD or SSD would be a better alternative if you plan on keeping a lot of programmes. I use a 1TB 2.5" HDD in my GigaBlue Quad+. At any one time I would have about 500GB used on the disk. Most of my TV viewing is of recorded programmes where I skip through the advertising breaks.

Andy_Hazza
22-07-19, 18:26
@fat-tony. His receiver doesn’t support for an internal HDD, also just looked at the spec sheet for his receiver and no support for a microSD card either. [emoji1787]

mrbeach
23-07-19, 10:38
@mrbeach - now that you have successfully set up a picon folder on your 4GB USB stick and have failed to do it so far on your 32GB stick (out of space error), it would seem that you have either a faulty or fake 32GB stick.
If you are proposing to use a USB stick as a recording device, then you need a lot more capacity. 4 - 5GB per hour of HDTV may be required. High capacity SD cards are a bit of a lottery for timeshifting/recording video files. You would need to ensure that the card is the "high endurance" type or use a genuine branded USB stick of 64 - 128GB. Alternatively, a 2.5" HDD or SSD would be a better alternative if you plan on keeping a lot of programmes. I use a 1TB 2.5" HDD in my GigaBlue Quad+. At any one time I would have about 500GB used on the disk. Most of my TV viewing is of recorded programmes where I skip through the advertising breaks.

This is not my main receiver this one i use for feedhunting the main receiver is an VU+ Solo 4K.
And in that i have a built-in HDD with good capacity .

Joe_90
23-07-19, 13:04
@fat-tony. His receiver doesn’t support for an internal HDD, also just looked at the spec sheet for his receiver and no support for a microSD card either. [emoji1787]

I understood that he didn't have capability of internal HDD. I was suggesting USB plug-in HDD (or SSD) in place of a USB stick.