PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo4K] DVB subtitles won't disappear in time

pmatil
11-07-19, 11:43
Hello!

Fresh USB flash of new box Duo 4k with 5.2.044. Using 1 x FBC DVB-C tuner modules.

Channels that use DVB subtitles behave oddly: subs appear at the correct time but they do not disappear in time. What I mean is, subsequent subs appear all at the correct time but the previous one does not disappear in between subs. The new one just gets rendered on top of the previous one. That's fine (although that's not how they used to work: every sub used to disappear before the next one). But, after there's no need for next sub, the last sub stays on the screen for about 10 seconds before disappearing (unless there's more subs to render on top of that). In addition, when commercial break starts, the last sub that appeared will re-appear for a few seconds, then disappear and re-appear for a few seconds right after the commercials have ended.

It seems that the system isn't respecting the command for the subtitle to disappear in time. All settings are default, except timezone and language (channels are also tuned). Subtitle settings are too, except the timing for disappearing subs when there is no end time is set to 1 sec.

I tested a number of old images and the newest I could find that had the subs working normally was 5.2.032. It's not just one channel, it's all the channels I follow with several different broadcast operators. External subs are not used, only DVB. Nothing special in the log.

abu baniaz
11-07-19, 12:16
We added a commit to fix an issue for UK subtitles. Can you please attach your debug log.

PLI had the commit, but have reverted it with no logs. So would be nice to re-add it so it works fine for everyone

pmatil
12-07-19, 07:55
Thanks for the reply. I have attached 2 logs, for 2 different channels. Both are fresh from boot, tuned directly into the channel in question. Both are FTA.

abu baniaz
12-07-19, 11:20
Thanks. We will have to wait for simonc to return to forum.

simonc
14-07-19, 11:26
A few questions:
- was this live TV?
- if so, were you timeshifting?
- were these incremental subtitles, i.e. ones that are created in real time on news or sport programmes?
- what channels do you tend to see the problem on?

I've noticed that the code for DVB subtitles doesn't seem to honour the broadcast lifespan information and just uses the default, so if a channel is putting consecutive subtitles in different places on the screen (e.g to avoid broadcast information) then things get messy.

pmatil
14-07-19, 14:39
Just checked and it was 034 that had working subs. Sorry for the typo in the original post.

Andy_Hazza
14-07-19, 16:25
Just checked and it was 034 that had working subs. Sorry for the typo in the original post.

Can you answer the Q’s as per post #4 @simonc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmatil
16-07-19, 14:14
Hello, yes sorry didn't notice simonc's reply.

- yes it was live TV (although it also happens with recordings)
- no timeshifting
- no real time subs
- I see the problem on all the channels I watch that use DVB subs. Mostly local channels but also on History Channel HD.

Mostly the subs are in the same place on the screen and it doesn't matter anyway whether the place changes or not, the timing is always off. So if 034 works and 035 does not, what has changed in the handling code?

abu baniaz
16-07-19, 15:22
satellite, cable or terrestrial service?

Kojo_
16-07-19, 15:41
I´m on cable, and have similar issues as pmatil. My subs have that same delay, but doesn´t overlap with the next one.
Duo2 and Vix 5.2.044

abu baniaz
16-07-19, 16:14
Just to rephrase what was said before, the changes were done to fix subtitles in the UK.

They have since been reverted in PLI and Dev branch of our image.

I'll have to stay an old image now unless we can fix the issue for those who did not timeout

pmatil
17-07-19, 17:06
satellite, cable or terrestrial service?

Cable.

I´m on cable, and have similar issues as pmatil. My subs have that same delay, but doesn´t overlap with the next one.
Duo2 and Vix 5.2.044

It's not actually an overlap, I just misexplained it. What I meant was that the sub does not disappear before the next one appears. So likely the same issue.

Meanwhile I did some more testing. I managed to find a channel that uses DVB subs and does not have this issue. Not in live nor in recordings. All the other channels have the issue in live and in recordings. The channel that works has the same broadcast operator than one of the non-functioning channels (usually the same broadcaster has the same issues accross all of their channels).

Maybe simonc can share us why was the fix reverted? I would also be happy to debug this further and maybe test the mentioned fix on my box, if possible.

ccs
17-07-19, 18:44
Maybe simonc can share us why was the fix reverted?I think you'll find that the decision was nothing to do with him.

abu baniaz
18-07-19, 01:56
Original thread here
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?53818-Recording-subtitles/page3

Commit where we added it here
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commit/83d37402835a757b83335f2b21c5e1f68296ba88

Reverted here
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commit/dcf9cb935f0dc33fecb342b7cd51b505d5aa466a

Next ViX image will be back to the original problem

pmatil
20-07-19, 09:04
Flashed 5.2.045 and subtitles are back to normal for me.

simonc
20-07-19, 18:05
Can you post a short recording that will allow me to test the problem with the new code. Dropbox, google drive or a fileshare site would do. It sounds like something is different between the way broadcasters in the UK and Finland compose their live subtitles, which is compounded by Vix ignoring the subtitle timeouts.

pmatil
23-07-19, 17:16
I'm a bit unsure about copyright issues if I share a clip, would love to help though.

And just to clarify terms, when I say "live" I don't mean news or sports events. I mean normal tv, like series or movies. And it's the same with recordings. I have never seen a actual live event with dvb subs so have no idea how they behave here.

So basically someone in the UK would test the proper live subs and we have the "normal" kind here.

abu baniaz
23-07-19, 18:18
The problem is that the commit was fine for the UK, it's not fine for Nordic channels.

simonc
23-07-19, 22:26
Don't worry about the copyright. It should fall under fair usage, you'd be sharing privately and I only need a maximum of a 5 minute clip. Send me the url in a private message if you're concerned.

The changes I made were to address unusable subtitles on news and sports events on UK broadcasts whether watched as they're broadcast, or as a recording. The changes didn't have any adverse effects on normal subtitles, so I'm a bit stuck without an example!