PDA

View Full Version : Ultimo4k not booting

Timmo65
07-07-19, 21:43
Hello,
Not sure of next steps, advice please.....
Ultimo4k had started to behave oddly over the last week with regards to the 4tb hard disk. For example when going to recordings they were not there and it reverted to the usb stick. This happened a couple of times and a power cycle fixed it. Also a couple of recordings failed saying it could not find device. I figured the hard drive was on its way out so went to swap it out. In device I formation it only showed the usb stick. I powered the box off and took out the hdd. I tried another hdd and it just clicked. Tried the old hdd back in and again it just clicked. I tried the original hdd in a duo2 and it works fine.
Sine then I have been unable to boot the Ultimo4k at all. The power light on the front panel just flashes, mostly nothing on the lcd screen very occasional super quick appearance of the Ultimo4k logo. I tried to power up without any external devices attached and without any hdd but no good. I tried a usb flash but it does not get that far. It does not connect to the internet so can’t putty to it to get logs and nothing appears on screen.
So what I thought was a bad hdd appears to be more. I’m a bit stuck. Thanks for your help.

Timmo65
08-07-19, 10:04
Jeez, how frustrating. I left it over night with the power light flashing and the gui quick flashing- I had earlier watched if to for a couple of hours and nothing - went to work this morning and tried logging in to it and it has booted - im in via putty and can get openwebif console ! It has no hdd attached and no tuners just the lan cable and power I will check it further later but no idea if this is a one off or if i have bigger issues. Any help on where best to start the problem detemrination would be great.

Sicilian
08-07-19, 12:03
Without logs difficult to know anything. Could be Linux was checking your 4TB HDD.

I'd suggest a new USB re-flash and setup.

Timmo65
08-07-19, 12:41
Without logs difficult to know anything. Could be Linux was checking your 4TB HDD.

I'd suggest a new USB re-flash and setup.

Thanks - I will update here with what I find. I tried going through a few logs and dmesg but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Overnight the 4TB hdd was not attached to the box. Its in my duo2 now so I will run a filesystem check on it there

Timmo65
09-07-19, 09:10
Hi, I followed your advice and eventually got it to re-flashed from usb (it was very picky over usb type and even then had to be re-formatted acouple of times). So the box comes up ok with nothing else atatched to it other than lan cable and hdmi - all good. The problem it seems is when any hdd is attached to it. I tried my original 4tb hdd and then reformatted a 250gb ssd and tried that. Same results. When connected internally the device shows as unmounted /dev/sda1 - when going through the Vix mount manager it will not mount it and when changing (right button) to hdd rather than sda it causes a crash. The problem seen bopoting before were I think caused by the same thing having devices attached that it could not mount.
Advice welcome please.

Crash log attached 5906559065

Andy_Hazza
09-07-19, 09:30
When you initially flash your receiver from scratch, I would at this point initialise your HDD then Mount it, your receiver will then restart and at this point I would proceed to setup your settings etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twol
09-07-19, 10:14
Looked at 1st log.
You are using a usb hub? is it powered?? - it should be!
HDD on sda1 is apparently not formatted - I would stick it in a PC and (re-)initialise

Timmo65
09-07-19, 11:00
Looked at 1st log.
You are using a usb hub? is it powered?? - it should be!
HDD on sda1 is apparently not formatted - I would stick it in a PC and (re-)initialise

Thanks - i'm not using a hub powered or not. I will try reformat again - but obviosuly didn't want to have to do that wit hmy 4tb drive as its full of recordings.

Timmo65
09-07-19, 11:04
When you initially flash your receiver from scratch, I would at this point initialise your HDD then Mount it, your receiver will then restart and at this point I would proceed to setup your settings etc.

Thanks - will certainly try this. I was almost going to kick the box out the window and buy another - do you think this is just a software problem or could it actually be a hardware fault ?

Andy_Hazza
09-07-19, 11:08
I think most likely a software issue. If you have full of recordings, then in the plugin feeds install the drivers for NTFS etc.
As you are trying to mount the HDD, with linux it needs to be Ext 4, but by installing the drivers mentioned above you will be able to mount correctly.

Timmo65
09-07-19, 11:08
it seems all the crash logs just before crash have below message ... but not sure if that is the problem or just where its crashed. Googling like crazy now.

< 208.743> File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/Console.py", line 37, in finishedCB
< 208.743> File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/ViX/MountManager.py", line 501, in add_fstab
< 208.743> IndexError: list index out of range

Timmo65
09-07-19, 11:58
I think most likely a software issue. If you have full of recordings, then in the plugin feeds install the drivers for NTFS etc.
As you are trying to mount the HDD, with linux it needs to be Ext 4, but by installing the drivers mentioned above you will be able to mount correctly.

OK - thanks will try that. That same 4tb hdd is readable ok in my duo2 and as a worse case I can copy files off and move as needed or view them over a network mount.
So if i get nfts drivers it should mount as a /dev/sda not hdd then ? I dont really mind just want to get it back working as mrs is killing me. It was odd how it happened in the first place with a few times losing the mount which was fixed by a reboot. Thats why I thought it was the disk on its way out.

Andy_Hazza
09-07-19, 12:52
What format is the 4TB HDD currently?

Timmo65
09-07-19, 14:43
What format is the 4TB HDD currently?

That disk as seen currently mounted in the duo2 is .... Microsoft basic data format and was working fine for the last couple of years in the ultimo4k

root@vuduo2:~# sfdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 3.7 TiB, 4000787030016 bytes, 7814037168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 42FFC7BE-15D8-42D6-8C23-35320F494A8C

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sda1 2048 7814035455 7814033408 3.7T Microsoft basic data

mounted as /dev/sda1 on /media/hdd type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered

and the 250gb ssd currently in the ultimo4k and not mounting is showing as ...........

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sda1 2048 468860927 468858880 223.6G Linux filesystem

Timmo65
10-07-19, 10:24
Morning - still having problems. I eventually got it recognise the /media/hdd by formatting it as EXT4 on a windows box - great I thought. I then got a load more looping boots so removed everything again. Attempts at flashing from 5 different usb sticks inteh front/back did not work. The usb blinked for a second then no message on the panel to update. With nothing plugged in the power button flashes on/off and the gui flashes the vu+ image every 30 seconds or so. I left it for a couple of hours with nothing plugged in to it and when i next checked it was up. It is really unstable and keeps rebooting. I am accessing from remote connection to home network using putty and openwebif. I manged to do a factory reset so will see where I go from there. I've ordered a couple of kingston usbs to see if that helps flashing.

Timmo65
10-07-19, 19:04
hello again, right then, new usbs arrived and i can flash first time every time now. Good start. So box is flashed with latest image 44 and nothing else but whenever I connect a powered hard drive - either via the internal connectors or via usb front or back the machine immediately reboots itself and goes into a loop. There are no crash logs. it will then only boot when I disconnect the drive. I have tried with a 250gb ssd both in a caddy via usb and direct internally and same thing with a 500gb 2.5 inch spinning disk. I can here a clicking sound from the powered drive. Exact same result. To me this seems like a problem with the power provided to the drive. A usb stick inserted front or back mounts as /media/hdd no problem.
Any further ideas please ?

twol
10-07-19, 20:41
You need to add a usb stick and assign the usb for the debug/crash logs ... it could be that it is unable to write a log in the current situation with the HDD‘s.

Timmo65
12-07-19, 11:20
This does appear to be a hardware/power issue, so I don't think it is image related at all.
Every time I attach any type of unpowered drive (bar usb sticks) I get a reboot and then it will not come up until the drive is removed. I have put a ticket in with Vu but I am not expecting much. I guess I have a few work arounds, not using an internal drive at all and re-route to a NAS or the original 4tb in my duo2. I am looking to still use an internal sata connected drive and I am awaiting delivery of an adapter to power it externally. I might just have a flash of a completely different image just to make 100% sure but I am fairly sure now its not software related. Has anyone seen this behaviour before ?

Andy_Hazza
12-07-19, 11:29
I have the Ultimo 4K receiver with a 4TB Red WD HDD and never come across this issue. It has worked flawlessly from day 1 of purchasing it from WoS.
Raise a Ticked with WoS and they will be more than happy to help.

joysleep1
12-07-19, 11:50
I have the ultimo 4k too and i have not had any problem like the one you have.

Timmo65
12-07-19, 16:04
I have the Ultimo 4K receiver with a 4TB Red WD HDD and never come across this issue. It has worked flawlessly from day 1 of purchasing it from WoS.
Raise a Ticked with WoS and they will be more than happy to help.

Hi,
I did raise a ticket with them and they tried to be as jelpful as they could but I did not purchase from them so fair enough. Everything they suggested we had already tried. I have raised a ticket with Vu direct but I have no idea what their support is like.

Timmo65
12-07-19, 20:12
It's going further down hill.... I cant even flash now. Formatted usb (kingston 8gb) and others in front or back - i get the splash screen and the update hit power - it then does a few....updating, reading usb, continuing, flashing image but reboots at varying times during those steps but never gets further. This is with latest vix , and old vix and a blackhole, reformatting each time, extracting the update on the usb itself and ejecting from pc. I have taken everything out now including tuners.
Am i flogging a dead or dying horse ?

Timmo65
13-07-19, 13:59
FIXED !

After taking everything out there was only one more thing I could feasibly check and perhaps it should have been the first. I bought this second hand 2 years ago and didnt think to check the power adapter. It appears I was using a non original one (after checking some unboxing videos). Also checking the manual and the back of the box it says 12v 5a. The adapter I was using was 12v 2a. I swapped this out for a 5a and bingo all good. I have no idea how it worked fine for so long and then just only partially played ball.
Thanks for all the (wasted) time spent trying to help me out

Joe_90
13-07-19, 20:11
Do you have any way of measuring the actual power consumption of the adapter when the VU is connected? A 60W power supply seems a bit excessive in this day and age. Most boxes don't draw more than 2A (24W if using 12V PSU) with everything powered up. However, maybe the 2A PSU you were using couldn't actually supply the specified/required current?

Timmo65
13-07-19, 22:52
Hi, no I can’t measure it but I think maybe your last point is more likely that the adapter had a fault. I looked today on wos site and the adapters being sold with the uk plug adapter look like the one I was using so maybe it was the correct original one but just had a fault.