PDA

View Full Version : 4K Enigma2 box - Gigablue or VU?

steveharman
30-06-19, 08:43
I'm considering upgrading our trusty Gigablue Quad HD in favour of a 4K receiver. We've been perfectly happy with the Gigablue so would gladly opt for the Gigablue Quad 4K.

But it struck me that he VU+ Solo 4K is about the same price from W.O.S as the Gigablue Quad 4K

Is there a "winner" between the two boxes? Our usage is split between FTA channels (Astra, UK), IPTV via XE and streaming content from a NAS.

If it's relevant we went the Gigablue route in the first instance as their boxes are fanless, so entirely silent. Are the VU fans fairly quiet?

Options welcome please.

Thanks,

Steve

twol
30-06-19, 09:08
I have both the Giga4K receivers, Quad (from 1st delivery - May 2017) and the UE - both work perfectly and the Quad 4K is my lounge receiver.
Excellent quality (both receiver & remote), reliability and they both support multiboot - which the Vu+ does not .... and I personally think that's a big loss.
Based on your requirements, unless you need the larger LCD display, hdmi-in and esata ports, the UE is the better buy.

Also both the Giga4K and Vu+ receivers have FBC tuners (which may mean you have to alter your setup to get the best results) plus the capability to add dvb-s2x tuners, so you may be better at looking at something like the Giga4K Trio (looks same quality as its bigger brothers) or another of the HiSilicon receivers offered by the sponsor from Zgemma and Octagon.

steveharman
30-06-19, 09:12
Brilliant, thanks for that.

I've seen some of the W.O.S. Gigablue packages listed either with dvb-s2x tuners fitted or as options - but despite some Googling couldn't get to grips with what the benefits might be.

Cheers

twol
30-06-19, 09:27

I've seen some of the W.O.S. Gigablue packages listed either with dvb-s2x tuners fitted or as options - but despite some Googling couldn't get to grips with what the benefits might be.

Cheers
Well dvb-s2x seem to be the standard installed dvb-s2 tuner installed now on new receivers - and most UK only viewers will see no difference or advantages.
FBC tuners just give you an option of improving how many channels/services you can record and watch at the same time ..... you need to read up! Doesn't mean that you need to change your setup, but to get all the advantages you probably would have to do so.

Sicilian
30-06-19, 09:54

Cheers

DVB-S2X will have no benefit for Astra 28.2 (UK).

You might also want to consider the Ultra UE 4K: https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/GiGaBlue/gigablue-uhd-ue-4k

linsladeboy
01-07-19, 11:51
DVB-S2X will have no benefit for Astra 28.2 (UK).

You might also want to consider the Ultra UE 4K: https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/GiGaBlue/gigablue-uhd-ue-4k

Hi Sicilian, I know this may seem pedantic but can you confirm if pressing keys on remote control for this receiver is on the quiet side. I bought an Octagon SF8008 twin model a couple of weeks ago and to be honest the loud clicking of the remote is annoying the sh-t out of me!

Sicilian
01-07-19, 12:18
Hi Sicilian, I know this may seem pedantic but can you confirm if pressing keys on remote control for this receiver is on the quiet side. I bought an Octagon SF8008 twin model a couple of weeks ago and to be honest the loud clicking of the remote is annoying the sh-t out of me!

All remotes click to extent, but the Gigablue remote is a softer sound.

Andy_Hazza
01-07-19, 13:33
Vu+ remote is by far the best remote out there by a long mile, but comes at a premium and without features like Stalker plugin on Vu+ receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsayers
01-07-19, 15:13
I haven't tried it but I've noticed stalkerclient-vuuno4k in extensions, maybe it's a modified version to work with vu+ boxes

twol
01-07-19, 15:24
I haven't tried it but I've noticed stalkerclient-vuuno4k in extensions, maybe it's a modified version to work with vu+ boxes

Somebody is trying to get it to work, but currently I haven't seen comments saying its running.

twol
01-07-19, 15:25
Vu+ remote is by far the best remote out there by a long mile, but comes at a premium and without features like Stalker plugin on Vu+ receivers.

For Vu+ remote read Gigablue (they probably copied the Vu+ remote!!),

Andy_Hazza
01-07-19, 15:45
For Vu+ remote read Gigablue (they probably copied the Vu+ remote!!),

Vu+ buttons don’t click like other remotes. Pure beauty @Twol, pure beauty. lol

Andy_Hazza
01-07-19, 15:46

Interesting.....

scrupples
02-07-19, 09:01
I have stalker from the plugins menu, and it works fine on my duo 4k

v8rick
02-07-19, 13:33
I have Vu+ Bluetooth IR BT-100 its great. With the bonus of messing with My other half's head from another room changing channels ect LOL
Pity sponsor didn't sell them

twol
02-07-19, 14:40
Interesting.....

having checked the builds, there is as posted a Vu stalker client ...... would be interested to know if it is the same as the one on the SF8008

Sicilian
02-07-19, 14:52
having checked the builds, there is as posted a Vu stalker client ...... would be interested to know if it is the same as the one on the SF8008

No, its different as far as i'm aware.

afterburn
02-07-19, 23:24
Something I came across by chance. The sat tuner on the brilliant sf8008 wont work with the early sky dish lnbs. Why? I have no idea.

Huevos
07-07-19, 16:58
I have Vu+ Bluetooth IR BT-100 its great. With the bonus of messing with My other half's head from another room changing channels ect LOL
Pity sponsor didn't sell themI've got a mobile phone.

v8rick
08-07-19, 07:34
I've got a mobile phone.

I've tried mobile app and with my arthritic ex motorcycle bricklayer hands cant use my phone as well as the remote control