PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new receiver

1hamster
20-06-19, 20:45
Hi

My son wants me to buy him a box and wanted some advice on what to purchase

I have been running a vu solo 2 for a while nwow and a great box.

My questions are

1. what boxes around on the market for around 120£ that will allow openvix and changing of skins etc.
2. will he require his pc to be on all the time for his box to work or is this only to change skins etc and load new versions.
3.I have mates who have mentioned sticks they use but would prefer a proper box
i don't have a problem loading the software on but i know nowadays these usually come pre loaded.

thanks

cactikid
20-06-19, 23:19
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/air-digital-zgemma

Few models there depending if wanting cable or sat or both.
Openvix now support these boxes and have skins like your solo2
No pc needed to be on as box needs its own feeds for power,lan connection for internet and coaxial connections to what ever tuner you want to setup.
Boxes can now update images all from remote and doing away with downloads and fussy usb sticks.

Sicilian
21-06-19, 05:15
Zgemma H7 models, great spec fast receivers.

Andy_Hazza
21-06-19, 08:04
Hi

My son wants me to buy him a box and wanted some advice on what to purchase

I have been running a vu solo 2 for a while nwow and a great box.

My questions are

1. what boxes around on the market for around 120£ that will allow openvix and changing of skins etc.
2. will he require his pc to be on all the time for his box to work or is this only to change skins etc and load new versions.
3.I have mates who have mentioned sticks they use but would prefer a proper box
i don't have a problem loading the software on but i know nowadays these usually come pre loaded.

thanks

1/ I would look at the Octagon SF8008 receiver too. Great box with excellent specs (my fave box at this present time and I’ve had plenty. [emoji4]). The new Zgemma range of receivers are good too. With my SF8008 I use a microSD card as an HDD.
2/ No computer is required unless you need to ftp to the receiver or in the case of needing an image to usb flash if a time comes.
3/ I think your mates are using IPTV/Kodi on sticks, but this is also possible with these boxes too. Stalker is an excellent app for IPTV.

Regards,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twol
21-06-19, 08:14
To be honest (unless your son wants something special) you are spoilt for choice with most the HiSilicon receivers (Zgemma, Octagon, Maxytec etc) offering excellent receivers at 120£ or even far below.
All will do what you want without a PC being involved for 99% of tasks ... and most offer Stalker which is good for IPTV services (although not a necessity).

Just decide on the tuner requirements and then look at the models offered by the sponsor........... great choice

Ashley69
21-06-19, 09:49
+1 for the Octagon SF8008. Very impressed with my new purchase.

Sicilian
21-06-19, 11:15
If op wants twin tuner and internal HDD like a VU+ Solo2 that was mentioned I'd suggest that the H7S would be the best spec choice.

1hamster
21-06-19, 21:27
Wow thanks for all responses
The box would be used for sat input and iptv
i am using openvix so i would put that on with a skin of his choice.
Never heard of of stalker it is not want i am using
I now will have alook at the receivers for sale
is there support on here for the receivers you have mentioned my vu solo has loads
thanks again

cactikid
21-06-19, 22:28
Sat forum has plenty of support for models listed above one section for downloads and other section on discussions,just scroll down to that named box you want info on + on the other side you have images and guides when brain no longer works and manual for setting up a box.
http://www.openvix.co.uk/

Sicilian
22-06-19, 05:53
Maxytec Multibox is great to Satellite and IPTV, runs Stalker just like the Octagon does.

Another one to look at the Zgemma H9 Combo, runs stalker too and has internal SATA HDD facility.

c31
22-06-19, 15:40
zgemma h7c

1hamster
24-06-19, 20:55
Where can i find out more about stalker it is not something that i am running on my system?

cactikid
24-06-19, 23:37
As i read it box is made for running iptv via lan and like kodi and mag boxes on google search.

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?61492-Iptv-stalker

chrcoluk
02-01-20, 03:34
Old thread but I feel I should post my opinion as people will find this in search

I retired my solo2 lately as it struggled to handle high spec IPTV services, it also often got starved of ram.
The h7s is handling what the solo2 couldnt.

The solo2 boxes are well built and have a better remote control, and front panel LED, but in terms of box stability and performance the h7s are definitely on a higher level.