PDA

View Full Version : [Zgemma H7] HDD and USB muddled up when box powered on

machare
14-06-19, 16:49
When my Zgemma H7S is powered on quite often the USB stick and the hdd are muddled up. To solve this problem I quite often have to remove the stick, reboot the box and then plug the stick in again when Vix has started.

Is there a way that I can permanently avoid this problem perhaps by changing fstab?

Andy_Hazza
14-06-19, 17:16
Why you have an external HDD & USB flash drive? Can’t you just make do with the HDD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twol
14-06-19, 17:17
Use MountManager

machare
14-06-19, 21:13
Why you have an external HDD & USB flash drive? Can’t you just make do with the HDD?

Thanks for all the replies.

The HDD is internal. I have a theory that when power is applied to the box it finds the USB stick first and makes that /media/hdd regardless of anything I do. If I stop using a USB flash drive where would I keep my epg.dat and picons?

I could only add network drives with mount manager.

cactikid
14-06-19, 23:26
On other boxes i used usb stick for epg and hdd for movies.Stick up a screenshot of storage devices to make sure they are named and sized correctly.
Are you powering off the box completely or just using remote to send to standby?

zeini
15-06-19, 07:20
Mount the hdd and the stick in fstab. In this way box allways found this devices on same place.

zeini
15-06-19, 07:20
Mount the hdd and the stick in fstab with UUID. In this way box allways found this devices on same place.

Sicilian
15-06-19, 07:24
As post 3 above, Blue button > ViX > Mount manager.

Andy_Hazza
15-06-19, 09:14
Thanks for all the replies.

The HDD is internal. I have a theory that when power is applied to the box it finds the USB stick first and makes that /media/hdd regardless of anything I do. If I stop using a USB flash drive where would I keep my epg.dat and picons?

I could only add network drives with mount manager.

Personally I would store your epg.dat to your internal HDD and store your picons to your internal flash as this receiver has plenty of flash storage.

birdman
15-06-19, 09:25
The HDD is internal. I have a theory that when power is applied to the box it finds the USB stick first and makes that /media/hdd regardless of anything I do.All of the I/O buses are queried in parallel and the resulting device file names depend on the order of replies, which isn't necessarily constant. (I have a box with an internal M.2 drive and an external USB drive and it's roughly 50/50 as to which way round they show up on a reboot).
As has been noted, use MountManager to mount them. This will mount them using UUID and then the actually ordering of device file names won't matter.

bellejt
15-06-19, 09:26
as Andy says .I do this for years now on my duo2 and working fine. No need for extra usb sticks

machare
15-06-19, 10:28
Mount the hdd and the stick in fstab with UUID. In this way box allways found this devices on same place.
Now I know a use for UUIDs! That works fine. Thank you very much.

twol
15-06-19, 10:36
Now I know a use for UUIDs! That works fine. Thank you very much.

Of course you could always have used the ViX MountManager! Far simpler for most people.

zeini
15-06-19, 10:41
Fine, if this is working.
But I also think, on Zgemma H7 you don't need an USB-stick for epg and so on. Your box have 4GB Flash memory. And this is more than enough, even with 4 images on the box.

Andy_Hazza
15-06-19, 10:46
But I also think, on Zgemma H7 you don't need an USB-stick for epg and so on. Your box have 4GB Flash memory. And this is more than enough, even with 4 images on the box.

Not advisable to store epg.dat to the flash on any receiver.

machare
15-06-19, 10:58
Personally I would store your epg.dat to your internal HDD and store your picons to your internal flash as this receiver has plenty of flash storage.
How do you write the picons to the internal flash?

twol
15-06-19, 11:10

Its worth checking how much free flash you actually have spare ..... on some new receivers it is surprisingly low regardless of the specs (menu/information/memory) and picons can take up a lot of space. (Relatively speaking)

machare
15-06-19, 11:49
Its worth checking how much free flash you actually have spare ..... on some new receivers it is surprisingly low regardless of the specs (menu/information/memory) and picons can take up a lot of space. (Relatively speaking)

For flash the Zgemma H7S shows Total = 774.1M and Free = 469.0M
For comparison my Octagon SF4008 has Total = 3.5G Free = 3.0G

Sicilian
15-06-19, 11:53
For flash the Zgemma H7S shows Total = 774.1M and Free = 469.0M
For comparison my Octagon SF4008 has Total = 3.5G Free = 3.0G

H7 splits the partitions for multiboot purpuses.