PDA

View Full Version : Sick Nano

timofee
22-05-19, 14:38
My TM Nano SE M2 Plus has been working ok for a few years.

But yesterday the HDMI output stopped working. It powers up from mains off and the HDMI works, but after about five minutes the display on the TV goes blank and there is no sound. I get output from the AV socket all the time.

If the Nano is in standby and switch it on - again no HDMI output.

What can I do to get it working again.

twol
22-05-19, 14:50
It sounds like a component is going off, but just in case try a different hdmi cable........

timofee
23-05-19, 12:46
Thanks for your interest. Have tried some different HDMI cables with same results.

Like you I suspect a failing component - could be a capacitor. There are quite a few capacitors on the board, too much effort to replace them all. Would be useful if I could find out if any particular capacitor drives the HDMI output.

timofee
17-06-19, 08:42
I have fixed this problem by using an old 75mm computer fan placed on top of the circuit board, and with the lid of the Nano removed. I have used the same 12v feed from the board used for the existing tiny fan. The 75mm fan is operating all the time, including when the Nano is in normal standby.

I have delayed posting this as I wanted to check this was a long term solution - and it has now been working faultlessly for three weeks.

Not a very elegant solution, but it works. Hope this post might help any other Nano owner with a similar fault.

abu baniaz
17-06-19, 09:23
Are you sure the heatsink is still attached properly?

timofee
18-06-19, 07:33
Thanks for idea about heatsink. Checked it, and it's firmly in its place.

I suspect the problem is one of the electrolytic capacitors, but as there are ten on the board it would be far too much trouble to replace them. Easier to stick with the extra fan to cool the board.

TK4|2|1
19-06-19, 06:37
Thanks for idea about heatsink. Checked it, and it's firmly in its place.

I suspect the problem is one of the electrolytic capacitors, but as there are ten on the board it would be far too much trouble to replace them. Easier to stick with the extra fan to cool the board.

Afraid not. Capacitors will only show symptoms from cold, so if your loosing video after 5 minutes, it’s going to be a chip or transistor fault.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

timofee
19-06-19, 12:25
OK. Thanks for feedback. Will avoid any Nano owner with a similar problem wasting their time changing the capacitors.

In any case, I'm staying with the extra fan solution.