PDA

View Full Version : Unicable II Question(s)

lespat
09-05-19, 10:56
Trying to understand unicable possibilities or limitations but don't know if it's possible to do with a single tuner linux box (Mutant HD11). Can a Unicable LNB be used on this receiver to record several channels whilst watching another on different transponders on 28.2e? Unicable option/selection is available in the openvix-5.1.032 tuner setup menu. Is it a matter of installing a unicable LNB and setting lnb1 to 1scr & lnb2 to 2scr lnb3 to scr3 and so on? Can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere. I have read all this unicable section and just confused myself.

Willo3092
09-05-19, 11:09
You need a box with an FBC tuner to take full advantage of a unicable LNB.
A single standard tuner will still work the same as using a normal universal LNB although the setup is slightly different.

lespat
09-05-19, 11:16
Thanks for the quick reply. Is it possible to record more than one channel and watch another on different transponders of the same satellite on a single tuner with unicable lnb and how would the setup be different? What's the best I could achieve with my current setup before I become more adventurous? Many thanks!

abu baniaz
09-05-19, 11:49
You only have one demodulator on your receiver, so no. You can only use one transponder whether you have a unicable or universal lnb.

lespat
09-05-19, 12:01
Thanks abu, that answers all my questions instantly for my current setup. Are you able to suggest an economical route (new box) for, multiple recordings whilst watching another channel. I am currently using 27.5w for that purpose as all the channels we watch are on the same transponder, so can record multiple channels and watch another or a recording.

Willo3092
09-05-19, 12:02
You have to set the tuner up as advanced and change the model of the Unicable LNB.
Each tuner is allocated a different SCR number.

lespat
09-05-19, 12:28
Thanks Willo, I haven't actually bought a unicable lnb as I was still exploring the possibilities before committing the expense. I have gone through the motions of setting up a unicable lnb in 'Configuration mode' but I don't have the "Connected" option in between "Channel" & "DiSEqC mode" so couldn't continue. So this box is limited as abu says in his reply in #4 above, maybe?

Willo3092
09-05-19, 12:40
No advantage to a unicable lnb at all with your current setup unless you intend to upgrade to an FBC tuner or add more receivers in the future.
I have a mix of FBC and standard tuners so it works well for me. A big advantage for me is the fact that you can use splitters on unicable satellite.

lespat
09-05-19, 12:48
I think that answers all my concerns and confirms my fears that it is not as simple as I thought. Now need to study up on FBC tuners and see what is available?

Willo3092
09-05-19, 13:00
I think you're pretty much limited to Vu+ and Gigablue for FBC tuners.
This is my setup:

lespat
09-05-19, 13:42
Thanks for your time and efforts. Your setup looks good and I've looked at it before. I've spent thousands over the years mainly during the analogue era when satellite was really expensive compared to what you get for your money now. Digital is now current but constantly changing and keeping up gets harder, so for the time being will put FBC tuner receivers on hold mainly due to cost. Will re-consider my recording habits and look at the Zgemma H7S 4K UHD (H.265 HEVC Triple Tuner Combo 2x DVB-S2X + 1x DVB-C/T2 Linux Enigma2 Multi-stream Digital Receiver). Hoping to get 3 simultaneous recordings by using the 2 sats and 1 terrestrial tuners? Looking at this box now because it has all the features I currently have, albeit in several boxes, all wrapped up in one box e.g. multi stream, 2 tuners & a terrestrial without getting unjustifiably (for me) expensive.

abu baniaz
10-05-19, 06:12
Which box do you have at the moment?

lespat
12-05-19, 10:13
Sorry for delay, Mutant HD11 bought from the sponsors is the box I am using to explore and try to understand the LINUX capabilities.