PDA

View Full Version : Video enhancement plugin - mixup between scaler sharpness and sharpness

Bobben
05-02-11, 23:07
I have made a discovery with video enhancement plugin running in latest VTI image.

The scaler sharpness is actually not controlling the scaler sharpness but the global sharpness which affects both SD and HD channels.

What's called "sharpness" in the video enhancement settings is actually the setting which controls the sharpness of the video scaler used for SD services.

This is important to know in order to avoid destroying the quality of HD channels.

I disabled the "scaler sharpness" (set to 0 ) to avoid reducing quality of HD channels. I use "sharpness" of (128/256) to filter SD services. The actual setting is subject to personal taste. In addition block noise reduction and mosquito noise reduction is often resulting in better subjective quality on SD channels.

I don't know if this mislabeling of the control settings in video enhancement plugin is only related to VTI image or if its VU+ in general. I have been told that "scaler sharpness" only affects SD services on Dreambox'es.