PDA

View Full Version : Zgemma H7S. Timers with 0 minutes

WoodleySaint
09-04-19, 09:55
Hi,

I've recently converted from a Humax PVR to the Zgemma and I'm having a few issues with timers and I'm not sure why.

I have a H7S with OpenVix 5.2.034, Simple_ten_eighty Skin and a 3TB USB external hdd. Some of the timers work and some don't and there doesn't seem to be any common reason. I've attached a Word doc with a few screen shots of the recordings and various configuration screens

The box has 3 tuners so there shouldn't be any recording conflicts.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Mark

ccs
09-04-19, 09:59
Has the usb external hdd got its own power supply?

WoodleySaint
09-04-19, 10:16
No, it's a USB3 disk connected to the USB3 port. Would that affect the recordings?

Cheers Mark

Trial
09-04-19, 10:16
Hi,
1. 3 Tuner does not mean that there can be no conflict. It also depends on the rest of your system like how many cables from what LNB.
2. perhaps activate debug log and the next time a timer fails look in the debug log or post it here.

The tuner configuration for tuner B might be not the best one. I think there was an option like "same as tuner A" which makes it simpler for Enigma2. But this option only if you have 2 independent cables for tuner A&B.

ciao

ccs
09-04-19, 10:42
No, it's a USB3 disk connected to the USB3 port. Would that affect the recordings?

Cheers Mark
It could well do, it's recommended to use powered usb discs, and not to rely on the usb port alone.

WoodleySaint
09-04-19, 11:02
I'll try putting an internal hdd in the machine. If that works I'll then take the 3TB one out of it's caddy and put that in the box

Thanks for the advice

ccs
09-04-19, 11:13
There may still be other issues.

If you go into the timers list, you should also see completed timers. Highlight one that has failed, and press info.

It may give you a clue what happened.

WoodleySaint
09-04-19, 11:14
Hi,
1. 3 Tuner does not mean that there can be no conflict. It also depends on the rest of your system like how many cables from what LNB.
2. perhaps activate debug log and the next time a timer fails look in the debug log or post it here.

The tuner configuration for tuner B might be not the best one. I think there was an option like "same as tuner A" which makes it simpler for Enigma2. But this option only if you have 2 independent cables for tuner A&B.

ciao

I have a single cable coming from the Sky satellite dish and use a splitter to provide the feed to the 2 satellite tuners. I think I tried setting Tuner B as 'Same a Tuner A' and I think it recorded the same program twice. (I could be wrong mind as I wasn't sure what settings to use and was experimenting.)

I'll try activating the debug log too.

Thanks Mark

Trial
09-04-19, 11:20
Hi,
in your case you must use "connected to tuner A" for tuner B. I do not know how the channel are distributed on 28E but with only 1 cable for 2 tuner you are limited to one band of the sat so if one timer records vertical high the 2nd tuner can also only record something on vertical high.

ciao

WoodleySaint
09-04-19, 11:36
Hi,
in your case you must use "connected to tuner A" for tuner B. I do not know how the channel are distributed on 28E but with only 1 cable for 2 tuner you are limited to one band of the sat so if one timer records vertical high the 2nd tuner can also only record something on vertical high.

ciao

Would putting a different LNB in the dish help matters? (Excuse my naivety.)

ccs
09-04-19, 11:52
@WoodleySaint You may have missed my post #7, as you were posting at the same time.

WoodleySaint
09-04-19, 12:02
@WoodleySaint You may have missed my post #7, as you were posting at the same time.

I did miss it! I've just selected Menu-->Timers-->Timers and the programs which show as 0 minutes or a blank time when looking at the 'File List' do not show up on the Timers List at all.

ccs
09-04-19, 12:11
Do the timers which did work show? If not, there'll be an option somewhere to keep completed timers for n days.

Probably a setting when you press menu while in the timer list.

WoodleySaint
09-04-19, 12:22
Do the timers which did work show? If not, there'll be an option somewhere to keep completed timers for n days.

Probably a setting when you press menu while in the timer list.

Yep, the ones which recorded OK are listed. ('Remove Completed Timers after (days)' is set to 7.)

Andy_Hazza
09-04-19, 12:39
I have a single cable coming from the Sky satellite dish and use a splitter to provide the feed to the 2 satellite tuners. I think I tried setting Tuner B as 'Same a Tuner A' and I think it recorded the same program twice. (I could be wrong mind as I wasn't sure what settings to use and was experimenting.)

I'll try activating the debug log too.

Thanks Mark

Is it just a universal LNB you have with just one cable coming from it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodleySaint
09-04-19, 13:03
Is it just a universal LNB you have with just one cable coming from it?

Hi,

I'm not sure about the LNB, it's whatever Sky installed when it was put up in around 2003. It is a single co-ax cable.

Cheers Mark

Andy_Hazza
09-04-19, 13:26
Hi,

I'm not sure about the LNB, it's whatever Sky installed when it was put up in around 2003. It is a single co-ax cable.

Cheers Mark

That is you problem. You need to upgrade your LNB and have more feeds coming from it or upgrade to a Unicable II LNB and use the same cable and then you can have a splitter to feed off that.

WoodleySaint
09-04-19, 13:40
That is you problem. You need to upgrade your LNB and have more feeds coming from it or upgrade to a Unicable II LNB and use the same cable and then you can have a splitter to feed off that.

Thanks Andy. Is there a Unicable II LNB that you would recommend that would be compatible with the minidish I have?

abu baniaz
09-04-19, 16:19
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/gt-sat-gt-dlnb1dy-unicable-II-24scr-lnb

Ensure you get sufficient splitters for your needs.

You will need to get a 40mm collar adapter to fit your sky dish.

Andy_Hazza
09-04-19, 16:20
WoS sell these and have proven popular >> https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/universal-and-unicable-lnb/gt-sat-unicable-lnb/gt-sat-gt-dlnb1dy-unicable-II-24scr-lnb

Also maybe of interest too >> https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/universal-and-unicable-lnb/gt-sat-unicable-lnb/gt-sat-gt-sp31-3-way-satellite-unicable-splitter

That is the link for the 3 way splitter. They also do 4 way & 8 way ones too.

Hopefully someone can answer the question about being compatible for the sky mini dish, I’m pretty sure it will be, just may need a different bracket, but hopefully someone can confirm for you.

WoodleySaint
09-04-19, 16:26

Thanks, order is placed.

ccs
10-04-19, 12:50
I did miss it! I've just selected Menu-->Timers-->Timers and the programs which show as 0 minutes or a blank time when looking at the 'File List' do not show up on the Timers List at all.

Yep, the ones which recorded OK are listed. ('Remove Completed Timers after (days)' is set to 7.)

It might be worth switching on debug logs and posting them here before you change your LBN.

Force a 0 minute recording, the failed timer shouldn't disappear without trace.

abu baniaz
10-04-19, 15:43
IMO, there is no need for debug logs, hardware setup is wrong. Best to remove splitter and disable other tuner or use internal loop through until new LNB arrives.

WoodleySaint
10-04-19, 16:10
Thanks for all the advice, really appreciated.

As mentioned above, I placed an order for the Unicable LNB. I already had a splitter, bought this before I became aware of 'World of Satellite'.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/4-way-splitter-with-powerpass-all-ports/69265?_requestid=386845 (I hope it's compatible.)

I've replaced the external USB with an internal SATA disk as recommended by ccs.

Debug logs are enabled, if only for curiosity....

One further question, with my current setup, should I be able to record concurrently programs on the following 2 channels?:
Channel 4 (Astra 2E 10714H)
BBC One HD (Astra 2E 10847H)

Cheers Mark

abu baniaz
10-04-19, 18:37
Possibly not as they are on different frequencies/transponders.

Try the following and then test the recodring of the two channels:
Connect signal wire to tuner B. Set that as simple, single, 28.2
Set tuner A as loopthrough from tuner B.

Trial
11-04-19, 07:37
Hi,
should be possible as both are in low band. If your tuner configuration is correct it should (must) work.

ciao

WoodleySaint
11-04-19, 13:09
Hi,
should be possible as both are in low band. If your tuner configuration is correct it should (must) work.

ciao

Just to confirm that the test worked and I was able to record concurrently on the 2 channels I specified.

More questions!

What are the rules which govern which channels you can record currently?
What constitutes 'low band'?
Which 2 channels shouldn't I be able to record currently with my current setup? (This will be very useful when testing the Unicable LNB on the weekend.)

abu baniaz
11-04-19, 13:14
A universal LNB has, low, high, vertical and horizontal "planes/bands/quadrants". It can only work in one of these modes. Hence why you can't split. Your restriction is the mode in which the LNB is operating in.

A unicable LNB does not work in the same way. Your restriction is number of tuners.

Trial
11-04-19, 13:18
Hi,
low goes from around 10.7 to 11.7GHz and high from 11.7 to 12.7GHz so you can look for yourself which you are not able to record with the current setup and after that you can do the same with your uni unicable LNB.

Ralf

WoodleySaint
15-04-19, 16:17

Hi,

I missed the part where you said I would need a bracket! Does anyone know where I can get one from? I can see loads of MK4 40mm adapters on eBay but none which will fit my older style Sky dish. It would look like this I believe:

Cheers Mark

abu baniaz
15-04-19, 17:58
Best you post a picture of your dish, the lnb end

WoodleySaint
15-04-19, 19:23
Here's a few photos

abu baniaz
16-04-19, 00:37
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 254102668021

WoodleySaint
17-04-19, 12:26
Well I now have the parts.....

More questions:

1) Can you just measure the distance from the dish to the old LNB and set the new one to the same?

2) What should the OpenVix TunerA and TunerB modes be set to?

3) What values within 'Signal Finder' would you expect for SNR and AGC?

Thanks again

abu baniaz
17-04-19, 16:24
1. LNB holder fits in fully. Adjust distance/skew to achieve highest signal levels.

2. https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?60640-GT-Sat-GT-dLNB1DY-and-tuner-configuration

3. High as possible. Best check is that a scan of 28.2 should find 900+ services

WoodleySaint
18-04-19, 13:51
Thanks abu.

Could you confirm that I don't need anything connected to the second satellite tuner and I'll be able to record up to 8 channels concurrently?

Trial
18-04-19, 14:33
Hi,
you can record even more then 8 BUT only when they are on at most 2 different transponder. You can only record 2 transponder.

ciao

Andy_Hazza
18-04-19, 14:58
Thanks abu.

Could you confirm that I don't need anything connected to the second satellite tuner and I'll be able to record up to 8 channels concurrently?

Incorrect. You don’t have a receiver with FBC tuners!

WoodleySaint
18-04-19, 16:26
So what Tuner configuration should I use with the Unicable II LNB on my Zgemma H7S?

abu baniaz
18-04-19, 16:38
I think post 3 in that thread describes setup. Advanced, unicable LNB, 28.2, manufacturer, model, make sure each tuner has separate band, You must use splitter and supply both tuners.

WoodleySaint
20-04-19, 11:13
Thanks for all the advice given. I now have a fully configured device.