PDA

View Full Version : Internal HD for DUO

judge
05-02-11, 01:34
Only been playing with the Vuplus Duo for a week & love it.
I'm currently using it with a TB external HD but have a bunch of dead laptops with good hard drives.
Can one of these be fitted internally in a DUO & if so, is it preferable to an external USB HD?

mrgee
05-02-11, 02:06
Hi,

You can only use 3.5 inch sata drives in the Duo. You can pick up a 1TB drive for about 40 quid now.
Iif you want to use the drives for something, why don't you buy a 2.5 inch drive enclosure and use them as external storage ?

mrgee

judge
05-02-11, 02:25
so, I can't fit an internal HD from a dead laptop? thanks for the tip on the external drive enclosure.

silverfox0786
05-02-11, 02:43
that is wrong you can fit a 2.5 inch hdd in the duo just fine i have fitted it as a temp mesure my self

if you want to fit it on a permamanent basis then i would suggest buying a 2.5 to 3.5 inch cradle adaptor to hold it in securly

mrgee
05-02-11, 03:35
that is wrong you can fit a 2.5 inch hdd in the duo just fine i have fitted it as a temp mesure my self

if you want to fit it on a permamanent basis then i would suggest buying a 2.5 to 3.5 inch cradle adaptor to hold it in securly

So 2.5 sata drives have the same connectors as 3.5 's, or are there some different connectors ?

Sicilian
05-02-11, 07:07
So 2.5 sata drives have the same connectors as 3.5 's, or are there some different connectors ?

They have the same connectors.

judge
06-02-11, 00:07
Thanks for the help folks.
I went ahead & bought an internal 3.5 SATA drive today & am delighted with it.
Had been storing EPG & picons on external USB HD, know it's only a second or 2 wait to wake up the USB drive but the box seems so much smoother now with the internal HD.

Larry-G
06-02-11, 03:43
Thanks for the help folks.
I went ahead & bought an internal 3.5 SATA drive today & am delighted with it.
Had been storing EPG & picons on external USB HD, know it's only a second or 2 wait to wake up the USB drive but the box seems so much smoother now with the internal HD.

you would be best placing the picons onto a usb stick otherwise every time you change channel, the drive will wake and spin up just to display the picon.

forrest1066
06-02-11, 17:20
you would be best placing the picons onto a usb stick otherwise every time you change channel, the drive will wake and spin up just to display the picon.

thanks for that pheonix, good idea as i currently store them as well on the drive, will any usb stick do plugged into the back??

silverfox0786
06-02-11, 22:08
thanks for that pheonix, good idea as i currently store them as well on the drive, will any usb stick do plugged into the back??

yes any usb stick will be fine and there is a thread listing working sticks

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?555-Please-post-your-working-brand-of-USB-stick-used-to-flash-your-VU-Duo

judge
06-02-11, 22:11
how about storing the picons & EPG on internal flash so? wouldn't this be the best solution?

dnme
06-02-11, 22:40
how about storing the picons & EPG on internal flash so? wouldn't this be the best solution?

Yes but how?

silverfox0786
06-02-11, 22:42
just set the settings in menu to point to internal flash

dnme
06-02-11, 23:00
just set the settings in menu to point to internal flash

Cannot be done for picons (remember?)

judge
06-02-11, 23:23
Cannot be done for picons (remember?)
seriously, why not?

jfk
06-02-11, 23:30

Please, how do i place picons onto a usb stick? I have this problem of drive wakx up and spin to display picon.

dnme
06-02-11, 23:38
seriously, why not?

remember we discussed this in another thread. Under the new VIX menu (Menu - Setup - Vix - Settings), they have removed the option to specify where picons are stored. It's no longer there.

judge
07-02-11, 00:36
remember we discussed this in another thread. Under the new VIX menu (Menu - Setup - Vix - Settings), they have removed the option to specify where picons are stored. It's no longer there.
I wasn't in that discussion, but thanks.
If that's the case & it looks like it as I'm looking through menu options, surely it's just a matter of editing a text file on the box?

dnme
07-02-11, 00:39
I wasn't in that discussion, but thanks.
If that's the case & it looks like it as I'm looking through menu options, surely it's just a matter of editing a text file on the box?

ok:) but again, how?

silverfox0786
07-02-11, 00:58
the option is removed at the option is now hard coded into the image so as long as picons are in the root of any drive in picon folder

be it usb, hdd, flash

it will auto detect them

irishchris
07-02-11, 01:00
Try ftp into vu+. Make new folder called picon in usb or flash (cf). These are located in media. Find your picon folder on hdd and copy all of its contents into the desired folder in either cf or usb. Now delete the picon folder from hdd. Reboot and should now detect it in new location.

dnme
07-02-11, 01:11
Try ftp into vu+. Make new folder called picon in usb or flash (cf). These are located in media. Find your picon folder on hdd and copy all of its contents into the desired folder in either cf or usb. Now delete the picon folder from hdd. Reboot and should now detect it in new location.

Chris, what is cf?
Can I create a picon folder in media folder thus /media/picon ?

irishchris
07-02-11, 01:14
Flash. No do not create picon in media. Place in media/cf or media/usb

irishchris
07-02-11, 01:17
Compact flash = cf

irishchris
07-02-11, 01:24
Sorry on tapatalk half asleep on phone here. You presumably meant the flash memory on the vu+ and not a cf.

In your case if you have usb create the folder picon in media/usb so it will be media/usb/picon and place the picons there or if you want to place it in flash you can create a folder in usr/share enigma2. So it will be usr/share/enigma2/picon and place picons there.

Would be better imo to use usb if available rather than using up the boxes internal memory.

judge
07-02-11, 01:34
thanks Chris, just wondering why would you recommended using external USB over internal flash?

irishchris
07-02-11, 01:47
You can use either but internal resources can be stretched and slowdown especially if for example using a lot of epg sources etc and I have added swap memory to mine to give extra free memory.

But by all means try internal flash memory for picons and you can change it if you experience these issue. Just imo I prefer usb for the likes of picon and epg which frees up system memory for running the essentials and keeps my hdd from spinning up from not having them on hdd

silverfox0786
07-02-11, 16:39
media/cf is compact flash btw

dnme
07-02-11, 17:33
media/cf is compact flash btw

Is there a compact flash reader on the box?

Larry-G
07-02-11, 17:39
the DM7020 had a compact flash card reader but not many other receivers did.

silverfox0786
07-02-11, 18:25
the DM7020 had a compact flash card reader but not many other receivers did.

as pheonix said its a folder that is there and pretty much redundent unless you have a dm7020 or dm7025

Sicilian
07-02-11, 18:27
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can mount a CF card in a USB card reader.

silverfox0786
07-02-11, 18:31
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can mount a CF card in a USB card reader.

on a vu that is not possible it crashes the box

well atlest as far as i have tried

the other thing is if you manage to get it going then it will be seen as a USB Stick anyways

Larry-G
07-02-11, 18:54
LOL cf cards are as redundant now for satellites as floppy drives are in pc's