PDA

View Full Version : Remote inputs?

joysleep1
18-03-19, 00:52
Hi guys

Does this receiver allow you to change remote inputs?

Thanks

ccs
18-03-19, 10:51
If I were you, I'd invest in a decent harmony remote, then you can choose boxes (and tvs etc) based on what they can do, not on which remotes they support.:)

My harmonies are still going strong after 10+ years.

joysleep1
18-03-19, 10:59
If I were you, I'd invest in a decent harmony remote, then you can choose boxes (and tvs etc) based on what they can do, not on which remotes they support.:)

My harmonies are still going strong after 10+ years.

I was researching harmony remotes but they sound really tedious to set up. My cousin has one which i will borrow and see how it is.
Which model harmony do you have?

But i still would like to know if you could change the inputs.

Thanks

ccs
18-03-19, 11:10
I started with a harmony one plus (expensive at the time and no longer available).

After about 7 years, the battery started to bulge, harmony replaced the whole unit foc with an ultimate, again an expensive remote.

I would never describe the set up as tedious.

joysleep1
18-03-19, 11:15
I started with a harmony one plus (expensive at the time and no longer available).

After about 7 years, the battery started to bulge, harmony replaced the whole unit foc with an ultimate, again an expensive remote.

I would never describe the set up as tedious.

What model would you recommend someone to get?

ccs
18-03-19, 11:34
What model would you recommend someone to get?

I don't know, really. The variation in prices is crazy, maybe someone who has one of the current range can advise.

https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/harmony-universal-remotes

Models no longer on their site can often be found elsewhere for bargain prices!

cactikid
18-03-19, 11:49
Dam bought one many years ago and not used it,i thought first post was asking if a different code could be used like if you had a vu solo and duo in the same room and wanted to change a remote code?

joysleep1
18-03-19, 11:52
I don't know, really. The variation in prices is crazy, maybe someone who has one of the current range can advise.

https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/harmony-universal-remotes

Models no longer on their site can often be found elsewhere for bargain prices!

So if you get this for example, you have to map every button or is there like a template which you download or something?

ccs
18-03-19, 12:08
So if you get this for example, you have to map every button or is there like a template which you download or something?

You run MyHarmony, provided by Logitech, register your remote, and then tell it the devices you want to control.
There is a massive database with pretty much every device on it.

In theory you don't need to map any buttons, but in practice, you'll need to learn some commands from the original remote or remap some keys.

Not every key you want will be on the harmony, you need to swap them around a bit. I've never found that an issue.

Have a look on their website, it tells you how to set up all their remotes.

joysleep1
18-03-19, 12:11
You run MyHarmony, provided by Logitech, register your remote, and then tell it the devices you want to control.
There is a massive database with pretty much every device on it.

In theory you don't need to map any buttons, but in practice, you'll need to learn some commands from the original remote or remap some keys.

Not every key you want will be on the harmony, you need to swap them around a bit. I've never found that an issue.

Have a look on their website, it tells you how to set up all their remotes.

Ok interesting. Thanks for your input. If i am not mistaken my cousin will borrow or give me the harmony one remote. Looking on amazon it says i will need the CD but i think he has lost it. Would that be a problem?

Trial
18-03-19, 12:30
Hi,
I also find the setup tedious but only with the mobile app which is terrible in my eyes. The desktop app, at least the windows one, is quite fast. My favorite is the Smart Companion as it has quite a lot of button and when the hub is placed correctly you never will have a problem with line of sight and it is one of the cheaper remotes.

If there are questions perhaps I can help. I have 200/700 and several hubs with Harmony Touch (Ultimate), 950 (Elite), Smart Control, Smart Companion or Smart Keyboard as remotes. I have 5 rooms with home entertainment and all are controlled by Harmony and Alexa:-)

Ralf

ccs
18-03-19, 13:17
Ok interesting. Thanks for your input. If i am not mistaken my cousin will borrow or give me the harmony one remote. Looking on amazon it says i will need the CD but i think he has lost it. Would that be a problem?You don't need a cd, but I suspect you won't like the harmony one, it hasn't got any coloured buttons, only ones on the touch screen - I managed ok, though.

Trial
18-03-19, 13:48
Hi,
simply open myharmony.com with your browser and it will guide you the the desktop app. On mobile device simply search for harmony.

ciao

joysleep1
18-03-19, 13:57
You don't need a cd, but I suspect you won't like the harmony one, it hasn't got any coloured buttons, only ones on the touch screen - I managed ok, though.

oh yh i just realized that. See it is that kinda thing which would indicate to me it is not as user friendly as using the standard remote. I know i will just be ten times slower navigating through my receiver. I guess it is just getting used to.

joysleep1
15-01-21, 22:10
Can somebody check that the zgemma h9 twin receiver allows you to change the remote input to the xtrend one. I plan to buy this receiver for my parents who use xtrend remote in the living room. I need to get one for the bedroom. I have a spare remote and I need to know.
Thanks