PDA

View Full Version : How to use user_skin_mod.xml with common skins?

dsayers
07-03-19, 17:54
Hi I've been experimenting with YouViX skin mods, the modifications I need to do are in the skin_YouViX.xml these modifications override on software updates.

How could we use user_skin_mod.xml? I've tried naming the file to skin_user_YouViX-Common.xml but this doesn't seem to work.

dsayers
07-03-19, 18:30
Sorry just tried again, what I need to do is use the name of the skin ie skin_user_YouViX-Blue.xml although it would be good if we could use a user skin mod for common folder then we wouldn't need multiple mod files for each YouViX skins.

birdman
08-03-19, 00:38
Sorry just tried again, what I need to do is use the name of the skin ie skin_user_YouViX-Blue.xml although it would be good if we could use a user skin mod for common folder then we wouldn't need multiple mod files for each YouViX skins.The whole point about the naming is that it allows you to have multiple overrides present at the same time, one for each skin you are using.
If you want to have a skin_user_YouViX-Common.xml (presumably just to contain overrides for YouViX-Common code), then just end your skin_user_YouViX-Blue.xml (and skin_user_YouViX-Pink.....xml) with:

<!-- ALL includes must be in this file!
The include code doesn't handle includes in includes.
-->
<include filename="/etc/enigma2/skin_user_YouViX-Common.xml">

</skin>

clivejo
01-06-19, 23:55
Is there a guide or documentation on how Skins work? I have some override settings for the VIX Dark skin that I want to keep (after a package update for example)

Also what do you guys use for skin design? I came across this project which I built from source - https://gitlab.com/technic93/e2designer but I can't seem to be able to use it to modify ViX Dark skins due to the nestled nature of the skins.

birdman
02-06-19, 00:00
Is there a guide or documentation on how Skins work?Not that I've found.

I have some override settings for the VIX Dark skin that I want to keep (after a package update for example)See the previous post to yours. You need to put a skin_user_<<skin_name>>.xml file into /etc/enigma2 with the changes you want. This gets preserved over updates (an is in backups).

dsayers
02-06-19, 00:13
Also what do you guys use for skin design? I came across this project which I built from source - https://gitlab.com/technic93/e2designer but I can't seem to be able to use it to modify ViX Dark skins due to the nestled nature of the skins.

That looks similar to open skin designer and works great for certain skins, sadly it doesn't work with most skins.

For me it's guess work but looking at positions etc of other parts of the skin and do one step at a time. Some skins I'm used to now and it will probably be the same for you once you start editing you'll get an idea of how screens are done on your favourite skin.

clivejo
02-06-19, 00:28
Some skins I'm used to now and it will probably be the same for you once you start editing you'll get an idea of how screens are done on your favourite skin.

What is your favourite skin?

dsayers
02-06-19, 00:35
What is your favourite skin?

It's hard to say what a favourite skin is as I know how much work skinners put in there skins. Preference is v-skin1080, slyk onyx 1080. Simple ten eighty is a nice skin to play around with aswel.

Only way to find out what is best for you is installing one see what it's like and try another.

clivejo
03-10-19, 20:59
See the previous post to yours. You need to put a skin_user_<<skin_name>>.xml file into /etc/enigma2 with the changes you want. This gets preserved over updates (an is in backups).

I can't get this to work and I keep losing my changes on update. Do you have an example of how the files should be named and the content of the files? ie on github or gitlab etc?

birdman
04-10-19, 00:25
I can't get this to work and I keep losing my changes on update. Do you have an example of how the files should be named and the content of the files? ie on github or gitlab etc?This is what I have, and where:

root@et8000:/etc/enigma2# ls *skin*
gml-test-skin.xml skin_user_ViXBMC_1080_Confluence.xml
skin_extra.xml

and here are the files. Read the comments (and spot the incorrect one...).