PDA

View Full Version : Update from 4.1.016 to latest (5.2.030)?

keith1200rs
07-03-19, 10:56
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place (please move if not), but I have a Miraclebox Premium Twin+ running 4.1.016 and wondered about upgrading to the latest version. One of the reasons I have not done so earlier is that when I bought it there was a bug in the drivers in 4.2.011 (supplied with the unit) which meant that recording from one tuner scrambled the other tuners. Downgrading 4.1.016 was the recommended solution and I have been running it since.

One concern with upgrading is what gets lost when doing so? Presumably the recordings are OK but would all settings, Bouquets, Autotimers etc be lost? Can the be backed up and re-used across such widely different versions?

Also, if I have the same problems with recording multiple tuners (unlikely, I know), how do I find a suitable stable version to go back to? I don't seem to have a copy of 4.1.016 on my PC and the oldest online is 4.2.028.

Flashing seems the easy part - if there are links to any guides for backing up and the other issues I have mentioned above, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Keith.

ccs
07-03-19, 11:04
The first thing you can do is take an image backup of your current system using image manager.

Then, whatever you do next, you can always get back to where you are now by flashing that backup.

The normal procedure would be to take a settings backup, flash the latest image and then do a settings restore.

However, your current image is too old, so you'll have to flash and then start from scratch.

There are posts around which help to make this process less painful, allowing you to restore most of the original image, I need to find one.

Here you go.....

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?57193-Manually-restore-settings-from-images-older-than-4-2&p=452828&viewfull=1#post452828

keith1200rs
07-03-19, 13:10
Thanks for that, it is really appreciated. I will print out that thread and have a read.

Keith

Andy_Hazza
07-03-19, 16:06
I know you may think its tedious, but you could update in stages so you can restore from your backup.
So I would personally do the following;
Install 4.2.030 & restore your 4.1 backup
Install 5.0.032 & restore your 4.2 backup
Install 5.1.033 & restore your 5.0 backup
Install 5.2.030 & restore your 5.1 backup

Regards,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccs
07-03-19, 16:12
I know you may think its tedious, but you could update in stages so you can restore from your backup.

Regards,

4.2 didn't allow a settings restore from an earlier image.

keith1200rs
07-03-19, 16:18

Regards,

What would be the benefit in doing it in stages?

Keith

ccs
07-03-19, 16:29
What would be the benefit in doing it in stages?
None - because it won't work.

keith1200rs
07-03-19, 16:47
None - because it won't work.

Thanks! When I am feeling brave I will have a go.

Keith

keith1200rs
07-03-19, 16:53
The first thing you can do is take an image backup of your current system using image manager.

Then, whatever you do next, you can always get back to where you are now by flashing that backup.

The normal procedure would be to take a settings backup, flash the latest image and then do a settings restore.

However, your current image is too old, so you'll have to flash and then start from scratch.

There are posts around which help to make this process less painful, allowing you to restore most of the original image, I need to find one.

Here you go.....

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?57193-Manually-restore-settings-from-images-older-than-4-2&p=452828&viewfull=1#post452828

Does that mean I cannot use the backups for the newer version, e.g. autotimers and other settings etc? The only purpose of backing up would be if I need to go back to 4.1..016.

Is there a file on the machine which stores the settings in an easily readable form that would at least act as an aid to putting the settings all in again?

Thanks.

ccs
07-03-19, 17:04
An image backup of your current system will allow you to get back to where you are if things go wrong.

After flashing a new image, a settings backup is normally used to restore your existing setup, but not in your case as 4.1 is too old.

Take a settings backup as well, it might be handy.

See the link in my first post.

Settings are store in /etc/enigma2/settings. If you copy it to your pc you can view it and see what changes you've made.

Some will be more obvious than others.

Couch flashing is much easier than usb flashing, there'll be a guide on here somewhere.

abu baniaz
07-03-19, 17:05
It is called "settings". It is mentioned in the guide ccs posted a link to.

Andy_Hazza
07-03-19, 17:30
4.2 didn't allow a settings restore from an earlier image.

It’s been that long but vaguely remember now. Thanks for the heads up. [emoji4]

keith1200rs
07-03-19, 17:42
Thanks. I have found that file and it seems to make some sense. I will be able to use it to help remember how I set things nearly 3 years ago.

Keith.

abu baniaz
07-03-19, 17:51
Why do you need to remember?

keith1200rs
07-03-19, 18:30
Why do you need to remember?

Initially I read through all the settings and made choices about things such as padding, how long to keep the trash, what all the buttons on the remote do, etc. It would save time if I don't have to re-read all the settings and decide again. I must admit the "settings" file doesn't seem to contain a lot of that, so it must be hidden elsewhere.

Will the old autotimer.xml work on the newer version?

abu baniaz
07-03-19, 18:41
It appears you haven't read the thread. Please read it, then ask questions if any of your queries are unanswered.

keith1200rs
07-03-19, 18:52
I have read the thread. But thanks anyway.

abu baniaz
07-03-19, 19:00
So, why are you asking questions about statements made in it? Everything is listed in that thread.

Your old autotimers will work, your timers will work, your bouquets will work. Otherwise they would not have been mentioned. Point 5 mentions the chanegs you have to make to the "settings" file, this will restore all the options you made in the GUI.

keith1200rs
07-03-19, 19:28
So, why are you asking questions about statements made in it? Everything is listed in that thread.

Your old autotimers will work, your timers will work, your bouquets will work. Otherwise they would not have been mentioned. Point 5 mentions the chanegs you have to make to the "settings" file, this will restore all the options you made in the GUI.

Now I'm confused. The first reply to my question [post 2] said "The normal procedure would be to take a settings backup, flash the latest image and then do a settings restore.
However, your current image is too old, so you'll have to flash and then start from scratch" . Are you now saying the settings can be restored from the old version to the new one?

Is point 5 of this thread: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?57193-Manually-restore-settings-from-images-older-than-4-2&p=452828&viewfull=1#post452828 referring only to restoring settings back to 4.2 or older or settings from older than 4.2 to a later version, which I assumed won't work, based on answers in this thread?

Presumably the format of any useful settings files has been changed so they cannot be reused?

abu baniaz
07-03-19, 19:30
What are you asking about?

A. The file called settings.
B. A settings backup.

abu baniaz
07-03-19, 19:54
What are you asking about?

A. The file called settings.
B. A settings backup.

The two items are different.

The normal thing to do is to:
1. create a settings backup (this is automated in new images)
2. flash a new image (using USB or Image Manager)
3a. restore the settings backup
3b. restore the installed plugins that are on the plugin server

See this guide

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?47588-Flashing-Settings-backup-and-Restores/

The restoration of settings backup and plugins does not apply to you. This is why you have to restore and reinstall things manually.

You can re-use all the old files as listed in this guide. Only thing you will have to change is manually edit the settings file by changing the "true" to "True" and "false" to "False"

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?57193-Manually-restore-settings-from-images-older-than-4-2

keith1200rs
07-03-19, 22:56
Ok, I think that makes sense. I was under the impression that file formatting had maybe changed so old files from before v4.2 could not be used on later versions. I will have to leave updating until I have more time in a few weeks as it doesn't sound straightforward but should be possible with some effort. I am trying to minimise how much re-configuration I have to do wheb I upgrade.

keith1200rs
08-03-19, 11:01
Hi,

Sorry to be back again, but I have a few questions:

1. I have made the backups as far as point 6 in the linked thread - "backing up cam config files". I am not sure what cam config files are, but I assume they are to do with hardware/software encryption. I am using terrestrial Freeview TV only so I am assuming I can ignore cam files?

2. Plugins - I am not sure if I ever installed any. The plugins listed on the machine are: Autotimer, CrossEPG Downloader, EPG Importer, Filebrowser, MediaScanner, OpenWedif, PicturePlayer. Are these all built in ones that will be replaced by the new firmware so I can ignore them, or do I need to transfer the old versions to the new firmware?

3. Point 10 of the instructions says: Once you have flashed the image and get to the First Install Wizard (setup screen), don't go any further.
Issue the following command to stop enigma2
Code:
init 4

How do I issue that command? Through ftp?

Sorry if that seems a bit basic.

Thanks

Keith.

ccs
08-03-19, 11:10
1) If you're only using freeview, don't worry about cams

2) If that's all you can see, then don't worry about plugins.

nb If you've downloaded any drivers (for usb wifi, say), then you'll need to following the instructions in the link.

If you're not sure, follow the instructions to double check.

3) init 4 is issued using telnet/putty

keith1200rs
08-03-19, 11:29
Thanks. Is there a guide somewhere to using telnet? I have enabled telnet on my computer and can connect via the ip address but I am not sure I am doing things correctly. The prompt I get is root@mbtwinplus:~# including the strange ~#

Thanks

ccs
08-03-19, 11:38
Thanks. Is there a guide somewhere to using telnet? I have enabled telnet on my computer and can connect via the ip address but I am not sure I am doing things correctly. The prompt I get is root@mbtwinplus:~# including the strange ~#

Thanks
See abu's signature.

keith1200rs
08-03-19, 12:39
Thanks. I guess telnet is working - it seems to do the same as putty now I have some commands to check it with.

However, I cannot get it to flash from the USB. I have tried from a couple of different USB sticks, formated fat32, copied the miraclebox folder to the root of the drive and turned the device on but it just bypasses it and boots to the old image. Any suggestions? Is there some other way of doing it?

I must have done it ages ago to go back to the version I ended up using, but that was a long time ago.

keith1200rs
08-03-19, 13:08
Can the firsware update be done from the machine by copying the new image using ftp and doing a restore? I notice the zip has the same file structure as the backups, with the addition of "noforce" and "splash.bin".

Thanks.

Andy_Hazza
08-03-19, 13:14
You can place the latest ViX image (zipped) into the ImageManager folder on the hdd etc. Then you will find it located in Blue button > ViX > Image Manager > Highlight 5.2.030 and press the Blue button to Flash and say Yes at the next prompt.

ccs
08-03-19, 13:32
In image manager there is a download option, you can get the latest image from there, then back a level to select and flash that image, known as couch flashing.

Your image backup should be in there as well, so it's easy to flash that if need arises.

keith1200rs
08-03-19, 13:51
Thank you Andy & ccs. I used "couch flashing" and that has worked. It didn't like the timers.xml file for some reason, but the autotimers.xml has transferred and is working so it shoudl re-create all my timers. I will print out the manual because I guess a lot will have changed.

Thanks again for all your help. This update is not for the faint hearted!

Keith

ccs
08-03-19, 13:53
I'm not sure which manual you're referring to, but it is very unlikely to have changed.

keith1200rs
08-03-19, 14:08
I'm not sure which manual you're referring to, but it is very unlikely to have changed.

The OpenVIX manual. I noticed when referring to it in the last couple of days that some of the menus were different. Some menus in different places, other menus with new options.

ccs
08-03-19, 14:25
The OpenVIX manual. I noticed when referring to it in the last couple of days that some of the menus were different. Some menus in different places, other menus with new options.
The openvix manual won't have been updated, you'll just have to be patient looking for menus which have moved.
They'll still be there, and in a more logical place than before, at least that's the theory.