PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] Tuner Config - lost, baffled, tried everything?

fredphoesh
02-02-19, 16:41
Hello peeps,

I have been using IPTV for a while now, works fine, but I wanted to scan UK Freeview channels so I can watch the Rugby this afternoon on ITV.
I've done this many times in the past, but am completely unsuccessful now.

I;ve looked here for a beginners guide to Setup settings for Tuning, but did not find anything. That would probs be the best thing as this request is well beneath the level of support generally given here. That said, this is what I do:

1/ Menu> Setup> Tuner Config> Tuner Setup
2/ Tuner A > config mode simple, mode single (no motor) satellite 28.2E Diseqc no, force legacy no.
3/ Manual scan > Tuner A, Type of scan: Single Satellite, BUT NOW SATELLITE IS 10.0E AND CANNOT BE CHANGED!!!
4/ green button to scan - (obviously finds nothing in 1 second)

OR
3/ Automatic scan > network scan no, clear before scan no, scan tuner A
4/ Green button to scan also finds 0 in 1 second.

OR
2/ Tuner in advanced mode
3/ Automatic scan > tuner A only, (tuner b off)
This finds 300+ channels, including freeview ones like ITV, but all channels say "Tune Failed" when I select them.

Please someone, what on earth is going on here?
Tx
Mark

abu baniaz
02-02-19, 16:48
What is your definition of Freeview?

One of mine is "what you get from an Aerial, not a dish"

Do you have a Terrestrial tuner?
Do you have an aerial connected to it?

If you actually mean to say Free channels on satellite, what people usually call, "FTA"
Is your LNB a Sky Q LNB?

abu baniaz
02-02-19, 17:03
If you are unable to select 28.2 as a satellite, your satellites.xml file is faulty. Replace it.

fredphoesh
02-02-19, 17:22
If you are unable to select 28.2 as a satellite, your satellites.xml file is faulty. Replace it.

Hi, thanks for the response...

I have a 90cm dish and my VU Duo2 is connected to that dish, and I've always had regular terrestiral tv, bbc, itv etc...

I've just upgraded to 5.2.025 and opted to NOT restore from a backup, so I did the wizard and did a scan, and still none of my regular ITV/BBC or any satellite scanned channels work!
I wonder now if my satellite is faulty, though how did it find 325 channels then?
When I go to SIGNAL FINDER in tuner settings, the Tuner A is set to Hotbird 13E which is not correct... so Im wondering if the physical dish is the problem. Odd I cannot change this satellite in settings to 28E.

I don't know what that satellites.xml file is!?

tx
Mark.

ccs
02-02-19, 17:25
Terrestrial is freeview, using an aerial, not a dish, as has been mentioned in #2.

abu baniaz
02-02-19, 17:47
Setting up your tuner is one thing. Scanning is another thing. You must set up each tuner to match what is connected to it. This is one of the most fundamental elements of using a receiver.

The receiver will only provide option that you have told it it has. If you are getting 13e options, you have made an error somewhere.

Is your dish motorised?
How many cables go to from the dish to the receiver
You may find it easier to attach a picture showing side of dish as well as the LNB end

Do you have diseqc switches in your equipment?

Please post a screenshot of the following page on your receiver
Menu > Information > Devices

abu baniaz
02-02-19, 17:49
Did you update to 5.2 025 or did you flash/install 5.2 025?

fredphoesh
02-02-19, 19:01
Setting up your tuner is one thing. Scanning is another thing. You must set up each tuner to match what is connected to it. This is one of the most fundamental elements of using a receiver.

The receiver will only provide option that you have told it it has. If you are getting 13e options, you have made an error somewhere.

Is your dish motorised?
How many cables go to from the dish to the receiver
You may find it easier to attach a picture showing side of dish as well as the LNB end

Do you have diseqc switches in your equipment?

Please post a screenshot of the following page on your receiver
Menu > Information > Devices

Hi
I downloaded 5.2 from the menu on the VU box and flashed it there. System rebooted and set up HDMI , WIFI again...
Dishes are not motorised, one cable from each dish, I have two, both pointing at 28E. No diiseq, only one transponder on each dish.
I can't photo the dish, too high, and can send sceen grab of info screen in about an hour.
I dont understand why the dish is set up to 28E but when I do a signal test, it says 13E. Previously it was on 10E and no way to change that!?
Anyhow, I'll post a screen shot in an hour.
Thanks!
Mark.

abu baniaz
02-02-19, 19:10
In my signature there is a link to using linux commands with putty. Please read it.

Can you run this command (paste it)

cat /etc/enigma2/settings | grep config.Nims > /tmp/mytunerconfig.txt

A file called mytunerconfig.txt will be created in /tmp directory of receiver. Upload it here as an attachment please.

adm
02-02-19, 19:23
Hello peeps,

I have been using IPTV for a while now, works fine, but I wanted to scan UK Freeview channels so I can watch the Rugby this afternoon on ITV.
I've done this many times in the past, but am completely unsuccessful now.

I;ve looked here for a beginners guide to Setup settings for Tuning, but did not find anything. That would probs be the best thing as this request is well beneath the level of support generally given here. That said, this is what I do:

1/ Menu> Setup> Tuner Config> Tuner Setup
2/ Tuner A > config mode simple, mode single (no motor) satellite 28.2E Diseqc no, force legacy no.
3/ Manual scan > Tuner A, Type of scan: Single Satellite, BUT NOW SATELLITE IS 10.0E AND CANNOT BE CHANGED!!!
4/ green button to scan - (obviously finds nothing in 1 second)

OR
3/ Automatic scan > network scan no, clear before scan no, scan tuner A
4/ Green button to scan also finds 0 in 1 second.

OR
2/ Tuner in advanced mode
3/ Automatic scan > tuner A only, (tuner b off)
This finds 300+ channels, including freeview ones like ITV, but all channels say "Tune Failed" when I select them.

Please someone, what on earth is going on here?
Tx
Mark

Assuming the UK
After setting both tuners for 28.8e and saving

Menu -//. setup -> tuner config -> AutoBouquetsMaker -> Proveiders -> Freesat UK = yes. Note: NOT Freeview
Press green to save
While still in AutBouquetsMaker
Start Scan or press green to scan.

fredphoesh
02-02-19, 20:02
In my signature there is a link to using linux commands with putty. Please read it.

Can you run this command (paste it)

cat /etc/enigma2/settings | grep config.Nims > /tmp/mytunerconfig.txt

A file called mytunerconfig.txt will be created in /tmp directory of receiver. Upload it here as an attachment please.

OK I will, but in the meanitme here is the photo of the devices list in Menu...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gfxrqABgpZc9TR6b7
I have included signal finder screen shot so you can see it says hotbird there, but 28.2 astra in the settings for tuner.

Thanks, your help much appreciated,
Mark.

fredphoesh
02-02-19, 20:07
Assuming the UK

Menu -//. setup -> tuner config -> AutoBouquetsMaker -> Proveiders -> Freesat UK = yes. Note: NOT Freeview
Press green to save

Bizarre, In "Providers" I have BIS TV NC+ Nova Sky Italia Tivusat and no FreesatUK. It is as if part of the settings think I want to scan stuff on Hotbird even though the settings, as you can see in my link, are set for Astra2 28.2....
I just don't understand.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gfxrqABgpZc9TR6b7

fredphoesh
02-02-19, 20:18

Hi Abu, here it is... thanks for the help.

fredphoesh
02-02-19, 21:02
Assuming the UK

Press green to save

I changed my Tuner from Simple to Advanced, saved that and then did have Sky UK as a provider, but after scanning all channels Tune Failed....
no idea what's going on here. Maybe the snow broke my satellite?

Oddly, the autobouquets makes all the bouqets, categories, even channel icons, but none of the channels work.
Anyone know what is going on?

abu baniaz
02-02-19, 21:42
The correct setup for the tuners, based on what you described is:

Simple, single, 28,2

Accept this. Do not try anything else otherwise you are going to be going around chasing things. Please set your tuner as simple single, 28.2 and restart.

As mentioned before, telling your receiver what is attached to the tuner (tuner configuration) is different to scanning. I will also add that checking signal levels is another thing. As we have added using AutoBouquetsMaker into the mix, all four things are different. If you do not treat them separtely, diagnosing your fault/issue will get complicated.

You have not mentioned what scanning options you used.
What tuner did you use?

abu baniaz
02-02-19, 21:55
Looks like you had set your tuners to 13east. ABM will not show you providers you cannot receive. (Apart from OpenATV and any others who use their tuner logic).

Please post a screenshot of both tuner configuration. We can go forward from there.

fredphoesh
03-02-19, 00:44
Hi Abu, thanks again for the input...

The correct setup for the tuners, based on what you described is:
Simple, single, 28,2

Yep, done that many times. Have a look at the video I have uploaded showing the exact process I use, and showing the resulting error message. https://photos.app.goo.gl/147gwSgWD71jmPaB8
By the way, the video playing in the background of my video is IPTV stream. None of the satellite channels work at all.

You have not mentioned what scanning options you used.
What tuner did you use?

I have tried Manual, Automatic, and on manual I choose single satellite, 28.2E, network scan yes, clear before no, only free scan no. I have messed with these options too, and nothing works... as you see in the video it finds loads of videos but none work.

Thanks again,
Mark.

abu baniaz
03-02-19, 02:07
When diagnosing faults/issues, we have to keep constants. If we keep changing things, we cannot rule things out or in.

Thank you for the video. It shows what you are doing better.

Using tuner A, check 10714 H 22000 failed.
Using tuner A, scan 11836 H 27500 passed.
Using tuner A, a complete sat scan (with network scan) that only found 353 channels.
Using tuner A, selecting a service, tune failed. Unsure whether this was from your FreeSat scan ABM run earlier.

You have two different dishes. Both having a problem is unlikely but possible.

Do the following please. Disable tuner A. (set it as not configured/disabled)
Remove your satellite services. Up, Green (satellites), highlight 28.2, menu, removes selected services, confirm, tehn restart.

Perform a single sat scan of 28.2. Do not enable network scan. How many services do you find?

I am not a betting man, but my money is that the LNB connected to Tuner A is faulty.

You may also wish to disable overscan on your Television.

fredphoesh
03-02-19, 11:16
Do the following please.

Thanks Abu, I will get to this in the late afternoon and will post the results then... I have to go to East London to help my son buy his first used car today!

fredphoesh
03-02-19, 11:35
Do the following please. Disable tuner A. (set it as not configured/disabled)
Remove your satellite services. Up, Green (satellites), highlight 28.2, menu, removes selected services, confirm, tehn restart.

Perform a single sat scan of 28.2. Do not enable network scan. How many services do you find?

Hi, I did that, scanned tuner B (A was disabled) and it works!
So does that mean the transponder connected to satellite A is not working? I guess so.
Thanks very much for the help, I will try determine which satellite is not working as there are just two wires coming through the wall!
Be well Abu, I'm off to visit your neck of the woods to look at cars ;)
Mark

abu baniaz
03-02-19, 12:42
If tuner B got over 900 channels, then that is fine. I did ask how many channels you got.

Your tests show that the LNB on the dish that is connected to tuner A is faulty.

fredphoesh
03-02-19, 16:41
If tuner B got over 900 channels, then that is fine. I did ask how many channels you got.
Your tests show that the LNB on the dish that is connected to tuner A is faulty.

961 items.
I'm baffled still why my tuner settings were 28.2 and yet the manual scan was trying to look at hotbird or 10e, and with no way to change it there?
tx
Mark