PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for VPNs to slow down internet speeds?

herberttaylor941
02-02-19, 12:42
I have been trying out TunnelBear, ExpressVPN, NordVPN, Windscribe and they all slow down my internet significantly! To the point where my screen looks frozen sometimes. How do combat this? And why is it that your internet speeds appear to be just as quick when live testing these VPN apps?

Andy_Hazza
02-02-19, 13:47
It is the norm yes, thats why I avoid VPNs at all costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danny121pt
02-02-19, 14:47
Yes and will vary per box, I did tests using PIA (private internet access) using UK London

No VPN - 75mps
Mutant HD51 - 68mbps
Vu+ Uno4k/zero4k - 72mbps
SF8008 - 66mbps
zgemma i55 - 12mbps lol

VPN speeds above, so not much lose on top end spends, but older machines, lower spec openvpn protocol will hammer speeds.

birdman
02-02-19, 15:36
I have been trying out TunnelBear, ExpressVPN, NordVPN, Windscribe and they all slow down my internet significantly! To the point where my screen looks frozen sometimes. How do combat this? And why is it that your internet speeds appear to be just as quick when live testing these VPN apps?Your internet speed won't change.
Your apparent download speed will be lower.

The traffic has to be encrypted/decrypted - the Vix box probably doesn't have the fastest processor available to do this.
It has to be routed via the VPN-providing system.

johnhoe
02-02-19, 16:36
Using VPN set inside a fast router(Asus RT-N56U) is a much better option than letting the box decode the VPN and the broadband speed only drops from 60M to 56M.

bbbuk
03-02-19, 10:41
Yes, as others have said, it can vary.

I use PIA and I found one of their locations was faster than their London one. For me, the PIA VPN at one specific location is similar speed as my non VPN. I only have VDSL FTTC.

Encryption also plays a part as mentioned. I use VPN more for a regional unlocking so I specifically choose a lower encryption for potential increase in speed.

iamtammi1990
04-02-19, 08:35
I have very fast internet and a good computer. Both of these factors can influence speeds. However I would say that Psiphon (https://psiphondownload.com/) is faster. It seems your computer is in need of a much needed upgrade.

chaoticbeliever
04-02-19, 13:26
Slow speed can be a reason for variable factors. I have been using Ivacy VPN but I have never faced any speed issues. What region are you trying to connect to? Something must be wrong with the Application.