PDA

View Full Version : Gigablue ue 4k - connecting as SDR only not HDR?

deckymckeown
29-01-19, 19:08
Have had this receiver for a few days now just, messing around with picture settings for a while now.

Have to say I’m not very impressed with the picture quality and have just discovered it’s not connecting to my TV in HDR quality, SDR only.

When I flick between my Apple TV 4k and this (when on a 4k channel), there is quite a difference.

Am I missing something here, or is there a way to make this receiver output in HDR or is simply not capable of doing so?

If it’s not I’m afraid it’s being returned and replaced with a Vu+ 4k receiver .

Using latest vix image btw, but I’m nearly sure it was the same when I tried Team Blue image when I first connected the receiver.

Sicilian
29-01-19, 19:21
Not even a Ultimo 4K outputs in HDR. No e2 4k receiver will out in HDR if watching HD.

I've got GB and top end VU+, PQ is comparable, all good. If your not happy with the GB you won't be happy with a VU+. I'd suggest you look at your TV settings / enhancments etc....

Sicilian
29-01-19, 19:27
I’ve just checked a vu uno 4K se and Ultimo4k on freesat 4K uhd channel, even that isn’t broadcard in hdr.

Both LG TV’s are hdr capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deckymckeown
29-01-19, 19:34
Thank you for your reply and that’s good to know. It was a 4k channel I was using it on though. I kept the same settings on TV for this HDMI port as I use for the Apple TV so direct comparison .

I will try to adjust the settings to other settings again though and compare the picture quality. I’m thinking I might just send it back anyway though because I like the feel of the Vu receivers and have used them the last number of years.

Can’t get the usb cable tuner working on this either (although I’m not sure if replacing with Vu receiver will solve this either).

Just noticing on the Vu website though that Vu Uno Se 4k states it can output in HDR? Strange

deckymckeown
29-01-19, 19:36
Just seen your post above too, thanks for trying that . I’m now wondering why it states that it does on the Vu website. Could this possibly refer to it being capable of displaying a movie from the HDD maybe in HDR as opposed to a live broadcast ?

Sicilian
29-01-19, 19:40
If it’s not broadcast in hdr no receiver output hdr!

What usb tuner do you have?

deckymckeown
29-01-19, 19:43
Dvbsky cable tuner. But can replace the tuner if needs be

Sicilian
29-01-19, 19:44
Why not buy single or twin hybrid tuner that fits internally? Much better than usb.

Try openatv that might support that tuner.

deckymckeown
29-01-19, 19:51
I tried it on openatv, receiver won’t boot with it connected. Openvix, i can see it in tuners but it makes Sat Tuner A become disabled.

Tried it on Team Blue, let’s me scan full cable services but the likes of a free cable channel bbc1 etc won’t display

deckymckeown
29-01-19, 19:52
I’ve made my mind up, the Giga blue is going back to Amazon. Solo uno 4k ordered from here so all good :thumbsup:

Thank you for your advice regarding HDR

Sicilian
29-01-19, 19:55
No guarantee your usb tuner will work with the vu+. You might have to buy the vu usb tuner.

deckymckeown
29-01-19, 19:56
Yeah I know that mate. Will wait and see. Guess I prefer the Vu receivers anyway after testing this one.

No harm done

Sicilian
29-01-19, 20:02
Personally I like the Gb ultra ue 4K and the quad 4K, I think they’re good versatile receivers.

abu baniaz
30-01-19, 00:15
There is an issue with USB tuners. This has been reported to GigaBlue.

Sicilian
30-01-19, 07:27
There is an issue with USB tuners. This has been reported to GigaBlue.

Not only GB, many receiver has USB tuner issues in 5.2 with OE-A 4.2.

Trial
30-01-19, 08:53
Hi,
one additional tip from me. Since around 1 year the VU-4Ks are capable of HDR live and recording when the source is HDR. My Philips TV only showed HDR when is was not HLG up to this december then they had a firmware update for the TV and now also HLG works. So look if there is new firmware for your TV.

ciao

deckymckeown
30-01-19, 16:34
Thanks for this. That was actually what I was asking in one of my previous posts, but I maybe didn’t explain it well.

I was advised that if channel not broadcasting in HDR (but 4k) then obviously output will not be in HDR. I download a lot of 4k movies (proper HDR) via sabnzbd plugin directly to internal HDD on receiver.

On the gigablue when playing this content, the HDR logo would never flash up on my tv or allow me to switch on HDR plus she on checking , it shows me that the content being displayed is in fact SDR.

This is great news though, and I think I will be happier now when the Vu+ uno 4k arrives.

I was confused as to why it stated HDR capable on Vu official website. That clears it up.

I would imagine there are currently no “usuable” channels broadcasting in HDR at present anyway ? As the channel I was testing the gigablue on was Canal+ 4k on 13e.

Happy to hear that this will play my downloaded content as HDR though

Sicilian
30-01-19, 16:44
I skeptical about it outputting HDR, theres no HDR settings with the UNo4KSE.

twol
30-01-19, 17:06
Thanks for this. That was actually what I was asking in one of my previous posts, but I maybe didn’t explain it well.

I was advised that if channel not broadcasting in HDR (but 4k) then obviously output will not be in HDR. I download a lot of 4k movies (proper HDR) via sabnzbd plugin directly to internal HDD on receiver.

On the gigablue when playing this content, the HDR logo would never flash up on my tv or allow me to switch on HDR plus she on checking , it shows me that the content being displayed is in fact SDR.

This is great news though, and I think I will be happier now when the Vu+ uno 4k arrives.

I was confused as to why it stated HDR capable on Vu official website. That clears it up.

I would imagine there are currently no “usuable” channels broadcasting in HDR at present anyway ? As the channel I was testing the gigablue on was Canal+ 4k on 13e.

Happy to hear that this will play my downloaded content as HDR though
Did you actually change the HDR colorimetry settings on the Giga4K?

deckymckeown
30-01-19, 17:17
Yes I tried them all mate, rebooting receiver each time

Trial
30-01-19, 19:31
Hi,
on my Ultimo 4K I also have no special HDR setting. Only color space and 10/12 bit output.

Ralf

deckymckeown
30-01-19, 19:54
I can see both the colorimetry, and the 8bit/10bit/12bit output on the Gigablue but none of those settings have any effect in terms of the HDR logo displaying or the info showing it displaying in anything other than SDR

Will test it out when the uno 4k arrives and try all the settings.

Thank you all though for input so far

Sicilian
30-01-19, 22:38
VU+ Uno4K SE doesn't have any settings for HDR or colorimetry.

deckymckeown
01-02-19, 21:55
Just an update on this guys, on testing the Uno 4k, when I go to a 4k channel the HDR logo DOES in fact appear now on my TV screen and I can also then access the HDR Plus picture settings on my TV which is a big bonus for me and I can def see the difference in terms of contrast etc. When I play a downloaded movie from the HDD on this , I also get the HDR logo and can also adjust the picture settings as above.

Using the Gigablue UE 4k I could not see the HDR logo on screen at any stage nor could I access HDR plus during a live broadcast or indeed playing of 4k movie which I downloaded to the HDD.

So all in all I am happy that I sent the Gigablue UE 4k back to the supplier and replaced with this. Not saying that its not a great receiver, but this makes a big difference for me anyway

deckymckeown
01-02-19, 22:14
And the dvdsky usb cable tuner is also working with the Uno 4k - so no brainer for me