PDA

View Full Version : 12 hour repeated timers sometimes have an hour missing

SkyFan
27-01-19, 11:41
Hi, got a strange problem. At the start of the month I added 2 manual timers to record BBC Radio 2
One records from 12 am - 12.01 pm
Another records from 12 pm - 12.01 am
The timers are set to record every day of the year.

Most of the time the recordings have been the correct length as they should. However 6 times in the past month I've had recordings that have been either:
10 hours 50 mins or 13 hours 10 mins long.

Why does this happen? Any idea how I can fix it? Thanks

birdman
27-01-19, 13:59
Hi, got a strange problem. At the start of the month I added 2 manual timers to record BBC Radio 2And never have explained (https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?60706-12-Hour-Timer-has-6-seconds-missing-from-end&p=479850&viewfull=1#post479850) what you are actually trying to achieve.

Most of the time the recordings have been the correct length as they should. However 6 times in the past month I've had recordings that have been either:
10 hours 50 mins or 13 hours 10 mins long.

Why does this happen? How are you setting the system time (Transponder or NTP)?
With these short/long recordings, did the next one start-up at the correct time, or follow on from the previous recording (in which case you'd probably have short/long or v.v. pairs).

SkyFan
27-01-19, 14:08
And never have explained (https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?60706-12-Hour-Timer-has-6-seconds-missing-from-end&p=479850&viewfull=1#post479850) what you are actually trying to achieve.

How are you setting the system time (Transponder or NTP)?
With these short/long recordings, did the next one start-up at the correct time, or follow on from the previous recording (in which case you'd probably have short/long or v.v. pairs).

What do you mean what am I trying to achieve? I'm trying to record BBC Radio 2 like I said. I'm recording every day of it in the year in 12 hour recordings.

I left the "Time" settings on the defaults as follows:

Timezone area: Europe
Timezone: London
Sync time using: Transponder Time
NTP Server: pool.ntp.org

The short recordings always start at the correct time but end at the wrong time.

What do you mean by short/long or v.v pairs?

birdman
27-01-19, 14:28
What do you mean what am I trying to achieve? I'm trying to record BBC Radio 2 like I said. I'm recording every day of it in the year in 12 hour recordings.But given that you'll never be able to listen to it all, what are you going to do with the files.
There may be other ways to get continuous recordings...

The short recordings always start at the correct time but end at the wrong time.

What do you mean by short/long or v.v pairs?When it ends at the wrong time does the next one then "immediately" start (early) and end up as a long one?

SkyFan
27-01-19, 14:31
I'm recording it for archiving purposes to preserve history. So 10 years from now, someone might wonder what music we listened to back in the day, can listen to the radio from the time.

No, the next one doesn't start early, it starts at the correct time presumably because the recording is 12 hours long.

ccs
27-01-19, 14:43
Odd that short + long adds up to 24 hours.

If you go to timers and select one that has the wrong elapse time, info will tell you exactly what it did.

SkyFan
27-01-19, 14:48

It's possible, but it's not like I turn my box on at 12 am to check that the recording started when it should have done.
I've also had 2 recordings in the same day where the 12am one was 10 hours 50 mins long but the next one at 12pm was 12 hours long so I don't think that theory is correct.

ccs
27-01-19, 14:51
It's not a theory, just pointing out an odd coincidence, have a look at my previous post which I was editing when you last posted.

ccs
27-01-19, 14:57
I'm recording it for archiving purposes to preserve history. So 10 years from now, someone might wonder what music we listened to back in the day, can listen to the radio from the time.

Well at least you're not providing a 24 hour streaming service, which had crossed my mind, I must admit.

SkyFan
27-01-19, 15:09

If you go to timers and select one that has the wrong elapse time, info will tell you exactly what it did.

I went into timers and there's no completed timers for me to check. I looked at Settings > Recordings, Playback & Timeshift > Recording & Playback.
The "Remove completed timers after (days)" setting is 7. So I'm not sure why I don't see any completed timers when I press the green button to look at the timers. I didn't delete them myself but I'll check later tonight to see if there's any completed timers after 12am.

There may be other ways to get continuous recordings...

I did ask here and in Reddit but nobody suggested a better alternative than recording it off Freesat/Freeview. Any ideas?

ccs
27-01-19, 15:36
Maybe repeat timers never complete, I've never used them but it sounds plausible.

SkyFan
27-01-19, 16:37

If I can't see a completed timer is there some other way to get the info you need?

ccs
27-01-19, 17:42
Timers are stored in a file called /etc/enigma2/timers.xml

Maybe there is some history stored in there, or maybe info on one of your active timers will show something.

birdman
27-01-19, 18:27
Maybe repeat timers never complete, I've never used them but it sounds plausible.They don't. (I had to add code to clean up their status items because of that.)
So just pressing Info while on one of the two timers should provide a record of its status changes over the last 7 days.

adm
27-01-19, 18:30
It's possible, but it's not like I turn my box on at 12 am to check that the recording started when it should have done.
I've also had 2 recordings in the same day where the 12am one was 10 hours 50 mins long but the next one at 12pm was 12 hours long so I don't think that theory is correct.

Was that on a day when the clocks changed?

birdman
27-01-19, 18:40
I did ask here and in Reddit but nobody suggested a better alternative than recording it off Freesat/Freeview. Any ideas?"All" you need is a process to produce the output stream and pipe it through a process that switches output files every twelve hours.
I suspect it's the sort of thing that is technically fairly simple, but since it's an unusual thing to do, no-one has written anything to do it specifically.

SkyFan
28-01-19, 19:29
They don't. (I had to add code to clean up their status items because of that.)
So just pressing Info while on one of the two timers should provide a record of its status changes over the last 7 days.

There was nothing in the info that mentioned any timers finishing early or over-running. Is there any other way to find out why timers finished early?

I record LBC radio with 1 freesat tuner and no recordings in the past month have had issues.
I record 2 BBC radio stations at the same time with 1 freeview tuner. It's those recordings that have had the issues. Do you think that's what's causing the issues - that I'm recording 2 channels at once with 1 tuner?

birdman
28-01-19, 21:00
There was nothing in the info that mentioned any timers finishing early or over-running. Is there any other way to find out why timers finished early?Running with debug logs enabled might show something.

I record 2 BBC radio stations at the same time with 1 freeview tuner. It's those recordings that have had the issues. Do you think that's what's causing the issues - that I'm recording 2 channels at once with 1 tuner?I doubt it. I've had 4 HD TV channels at once running off 1 tuner without issue (albeit not for 12 hours).

SkyFan
28-01-19, 21:17
Is it not strange that the freesat tuner had no issues but the freeview tuner did maybe because it was recording 2 things at once on 1 tuner?

I don't know what to do then. I actually had debug logs enabled already but there's no files inside /home/root/logs.