PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] Auto-Timer v Timer

marcjens
08-01-19, 14:33
This may be a daft question: What exactly is the difference between the timer and the auto-timer (Green and Blue button)?
It seems that both afford repeat recordings?

Relatedly, is there a way to get recordings organised, i.e. when you record a series that there is ONE entry, and you then get the sub-entries, rather than have all episodes at the root level?

Many thanks

Andy_Hazza
08-01-19, 14:52
Auto Timer is similar to a Series Link function. A Timer is just a one off recording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birdman
08-01-19, 17:47
Relatedly, is there a way to get recordings organised, i.e. when you record a series that there is ONE entry, and you then get the sub-entries, rather than have all episodes at the root level?Create sub-directories (Locations) and create auto-timers to put the recordings into the one you want.

birdman
08-01-19, 17:48
A Timer is just a one off recording.Or repeat at the same time every day/week/etc, but that can't handle things where episodes occur at different times

EGGMANCAN
14-01-19, 23:10
This may be a daft question: What exactly is the difference between the timer and the auto-timer (Green and Blue button)?
It seems that both afford repeat recordings?

Relatedly, is there a way to get recordings organised, i.e. when you record a series that there is ONE entry, and you then get the sub-entries, rather than have all episodes at the root level?

Many thanks

there is the movie organiser plugin.

can we rename "timer" and "auto timer" to "record" and "record series"?

ccs
15-01-19, 10:51

Timers (and autotimers) are not only used for recording.

adm
15-01-19, 10:56

Although an autotimer can be used to to set timers to record a series that is not its only function so your suggested names could also cause some confusion. Also you have the ability to instantly record what you are watching so the "record" name is already taken.

An autotimer can be used to set a future timer for program with the same or similar name on one or more channels and is not limited to a single series.

EGGMANCAN
21-01-19, 12:33
Although an autotimer can be used to to set timers to record a series that is not its only function so your suggested names could also cause some confusion. Also you have the ability to instantly record what you are watching so the "record" name is already taken.

An autotimer can be used to set a future timer for program with the same or similar name on one or more channels and is not limited to a single series.

How can we make this more clear / simple for users coming from standard Sly / Virmin receivers? How would they know what this means? Would an (i) pop-up work?

Listen, somebody in my family does not know what AutoTimer or Timer means. Can we separate Timer and Record? Can we rename "Timer" to "Reminder"?

When you press the Record button on your remote it shows: "Add Timer" and "Add AutoTimer". Both of these options need to be renamed to "Record" and "Record Series". You do not press the Record button on your remote to add a reminder or auto channel switch.

Currently in the EPG we have the Green button labelled as "Add Timer" and we have the Blue button as "Add". Let's make the Green button "Record" with an additional pop-up saying "Record" and "Record Series". Then let's rename the Blue button to "Add Timer" and include all of the timer options within that one single button please.

ccs
21-01-19, 12:37
...time you taught then what it means then.:)

EGGMANCAN
21-01-19, 12:48
...time you taught then what it means then.:)
When you have a Virmin or Sly box do you have a technician teaching you what all the controls are? no. all of the options are labelled in a self-descriptive way.

Also why do we have two buttons "Green" and "Blue" for just one function "Timer"? This is confusing not only for the people in my family but for me too! The options for adding a timer should be accessible using just one button and the same for recording. These two options need to be separated.

ccs
21-01-19, 12:51
When you have a Virmin or Sly box do you have a technician teaching you what all the controls are? no. all of the options are labelled in a self-descriptive way.

I'd stick to just using those boxes if you're finding enigma2 too complicated.

Willo3092
21-01-19, 13:54
When you press the Record button on your remote it shows: "Add Timer" and "Add AutoTimer". Both of these options need to be renamed to "Record" and "Record Series".

If you want these features then learn how to edit the relevant python files yourself.
All the images that I know of use Timer and Autotimer because it is a more accurate description of what they actually do.
For example, long pressing the 'record' button will set a zap timer to change channels at the specified time. It doesn't record it.

adm
21-01-19, 21:28

My mother has recently "upgraded" to a Virgin Tivo box. In my option a poorly thought out user interface with many common needed functions hidden down six levels of menu or selected on a remote button only readable by someone with 20:20 vision.

I suggest that an Enigma 2/OpenVix box is no more difficult to learn than a Sky or Virgin box but you may have just got used to the boxes you previously owned and believe that this is thae way all boxes should work.

I too came from a different type of box (a Topfield box running Mystuff) and changing to a Enigma2/Openvix did take some change of mind set albeit I did understand from my previous box that the Autotimer function is a lot more than series link and it could confuse many by labelling it so.

You seem to be selecting Autotimer by pressing the record button which gives you the quick setting from the default values you may have set (or if you haven't configured them youself the defaults someone else has selected). Ths quick set-up doesn't necessarily show all the options and filters that can be set. If you use the alternative way of setting an Autotimer by pressing Blue within the EPG you will see two screens of configuration which may show you that autotimers can set more than series linking.

Also why do we have two buttons "Green" and "Blue" for just one function "Timer"? This is confusing not only for the people in my family but for me too! The options for adding a timer should be accessible using just one button and the same for recording. These two options need to be separated.

The recording button allows you to set two different things. The Green and Blue buttons allow you to set two different things.

EGGMANCAN
22-01-19, 10:55
If you want these features then learn how to edit the relevant python files yourself.
All the images that I know of use Timer and Autotimer because it is a more accurate description of what they actually do.
For example, long pressing the 'record' button will set a zap timer to change channels at the specified time. It doesn't record it.
Why on earth would you use the record button with a red record symbol to set a zap timer??

EGGMANCAN
22-01-19, 10:57
do all of you believe that the box is the best it can be and that it can no longer be improved? do you really think this is the simplest setup possible for the recording/auto timer functions? this isn't even my thread! clearly there is an issue with this and none of you want to make it any better?

I believe the setup should be more similar to this:
Blue = "Record"
Green = "Timer"

Press Blue 1x = "Record Event (i)", "Record Series (i)".
Press Green 1x = "Add Timer (i)", "Add AutoTimer (i)"

Hover over "Record event (i)" and press i (info) on your remote = pup-up information box "Record this single event and add it to your recordings..."
Hover over "Record Series (i)" and press i (info) on your remote = pup-up information box "Record every event with the same name at the same time on a weekly basis and add them to your recordings..."

Hover over "Add Timer (i)" and press i (info) on your remote = pup-up information box "Add a notification at the start time of the event to remind you that your program is about to start..."

also I like your idea of editing the python files myself, I just wanted to help the rest of the community out too so that we can make this software better together for everyone.

Willo3092
22-01-19, 11:45
As far as I can gather, the rest of the community are quite happy with things the way they are.
It's not just ViX, every E2 image uses timers and autotimers as far as I know.
You will find builds where people have changed the names to record and record series so it would be easier to use someones build if you like.

EGGMANCAN
22-01-19, 12:30
To clear this up for everyone:
The Green button "Add Timer", by default, records a single event one time.
The Blue button "Add", by default, records that event at the same time every week.
So the Green button can be thought of as "Record".
and the Blue button can be thought of as "Record Weekly".
however both options are fully customisable and can be used for zapping and recordings at any time on any channel etc.

Now let me ask you this question. Would it be clearer and appear more simple to have the additional options hidden behind drop-down menus? By default the options would appear something like this:
Green button "Single Recording - Event name, Time and date, more options drop-down"
Blue button "Record Weekly - Event name, Day of the week/time, more options drop-down"

This would leave the whole current system intact while making it appear much simpler for everyday users giving them the option to dive into the additional options if they so wish.

ccs
22-01-19, 12:39
99.9% of my epg timers are green+green, 99% of my autotimers are blue+green+green, I find that simple and clear enough.

I can change the autotimer defaults to suit my needs.

You appear to be fighting a losing cause, you'd be better building your own system if it so important for you, rather than changing a well established interface already used by 10's of thousands of users.

EGGMANCAN
22-01-19, 12:45
99.9% of my epg timers are green+green, 99% of my autotimers are blue+green+green, I find that simple and clear enough.

I can change the autotimer defaults to suit my needs.

You appear to be fighting a losing cause, you'd be better building your own system if it so important for you, rather than changing a well established interface already used by 10's of thousands of users.
so 99% of the time you don't need to see any of the additional options?

ccs
22-01-19, 12:47
so 99% of the time you don't need to see any of the additional options?But they're there as a reminder if I do need them.
Why hide them away?

EGGMANCAN
22-01-19, 12:58
But they're there as a reminder if I do need them.
Why hide them away?
why scare regular users away by making it appear more complicated than it needs to be?

adm
22-01-19, 13:52
so 99% of the time you don't need to see any of the additional options?

I see all the options 99% of the time and chnge them to suit what i want recorded in the future. This is the way I choose to use my box however I record very little that is actaully broadcast at the same time, same channel every week.

ccs
22-01-19, 14:11
why scare regular users away by making it appear more complicated than it needs to be?
You're too easily scared - just get on and use it.

adm
22-01-19, 14:11

But your proposed terminology doesn't actually describe what Autotimers are fully capable of doing. Your suggestion for a naming convention may persuade users coming from boxes with a basic automatic search facility that OpenVix is also limited in it's functionality in the same way.
I suspect that there may be 10.000s of regular users of the OpenVix image that are not scared by the use of the term Autotimer.

I came from a box where the automatic search and timer setting facility was more comprehesive in its operation than that provided by Autotimers and I personally have no problems with the terminolgy that the writers of OpenVix have chosen for Autotimers.

I assume that you are aware that an autotimer can be edited for a one time programme that hasn't yet been broadcast for the first time and will be in an unknown timeslot some time in the future . How does this fall in with your renaming convention - its NOT a series record, nor is it weekly?

abu baniaz
22-01-19, 15:44
What about pressing the record button?

EGGMANCAN
22-01-19, 19:50
You're too easily scared - just get on and use it.
you're missing the point. how can you expect somebody that lives in the same house as you to know how to use the television when you are not around to be "Mr IT support"?

what if they want to record an event? is it fair to force them to learn some 'insider' technical lingo just to set a simple recording which they can do no problems on the standard boxes? why make a box just for one person when it can be designed to suit other peoples needs too? or do you prefer coding in binary? if so let's just scrap python i mean you can learn how a computer interprets binary code right?

EGGMANCAN
22-01-19, 19:52
But your proposed terminology doesn't actually describe what Autotimers are fully capable of doing. Your suggestion for a naming convention may persuade users coming from boxes with a basic automatic search facility that OpenVix is also limited in it's functionality in the same way.
I suspect that there may be 10.000s of regular users of the OpenVix image that are not scared by the use of the term Autotimer.

I came from a box where the automatic search and timer setting facility was more comprehesive in its operation than that provided by Autotimers and I personally have no problems with the terminolgy that the writers of OpenVix have chosen for Autotimers.

I assume that you are aware that an autotimer can be edited for a one time programme that hasn't yet been broadcast for the first time and will be in an unknown timeslot some time in the future . How does this fall in with your renaming convention - its NOT a series record, nor is it weekly?
Ok why not make the Record button on the remote show "Single Recording" and "Weekly Recording"? Tell me what user technical or not presses a record button to set a zap timer?

and that answers your second question. If the Timer functions are separated from the Recording functions then the naming convention works no problems.

"Your suggestion for a naming convention may persuade users coming from boxes with a basic automatic search facility that OpenVix is also limited in it's functionality in the same way." wouldn't the "more options..." tell you that there are.. more options?

"But your proposed terminology doesn't actually describe what Autotimers are fully capable of doing." the word AutoTimer does not mention Record in any way. A timer actually does nothing in-itself. A timer is just that, a countdown. It's the additional functionality that gets executed when the timer has ended that is what it should be named as. For example at the end of the timer it can show a notification. A Notification timer.

ccs
22-01-19, 19:55
you're missing the point. how can you expect somebody that lives in the same house as you to know how to use the television when you are not around to be "Mr IT support"?Maybe you've made the wrong choice?

I can't think of anyone who has made such a fuss about anything and everything- even my mum managed well into here 90's without the issues you seem to have.

Willo3092
22-01-19, 20:01
Tell me what user technical or not presses a record button to set a zap timer?

Mrs Willo for a start! She's a proper technophobe but she soon learned how to get the TV to turn onto Coronation Street automatically, usually when I'm watching something else.
If I were you I would just accept that timers do much more than just recording and accept that ViX aren't going to change the names and neither will ATV, Pli or any other E2 image.

EGGMANCAN
22-01-19, 20:02
What about pressing the record button?
pressing the "Record" button shows "Add Timer" and "Add AutoTimer".. no mention of record...

EGGMANCAN
22-01-19, 20:03
Mrs Willo for a start! She's a proper technophobe but she soon learned how to get the TV to turn onto Coronation Street automatically, usually when I'm watching something else.
haha bravo :)

EGGMANCAN
22-01-19, 20:09
Maybe you've made the wrong choice?

I can't think of anyone who has made such a fuss about anything and everything- even my mum managed well into here 90's without the issues you seem to have.
but did your mum at the age of 90 use an Enigma box?

birdman
22-01-19, 20:23
Ok why not make the Record button on the remote show "Single Recording" and "Weekly Recording"? Tell me what user technical or not presses a record button to set a zap timer?Me, sort of...

...as I don't press a Record button to make a recording. For that I'd go to the EPG, navigate to the programme I wish to record (making sure I get the correct one), press Add Timer then select where I want it to be filed.

birdman
22-01-19, 20:25
what if they want to record an event? is it fair to force them to learn some 'insider' tech nical lingo just to set a simple recording which they can do no problems on the standard boxes? How did they learn to do it there?

adm
22-01-19, 20:41
pressing the "Record" button shows "Add Timer" and "Add AutoTimer".. no mention of record...

Turn on timeshifting
menu -> setup -> recordings, playback and timeshift -> timeshift -> automatically start timeshift after = 10 seconds

Start watching a programme of your choice

Whle still watching press the record button on the remote and see what you get.

EGGMANCAN
22-01-19, 20:50
How did they learn to do it there?
they learned what the word record meant in school like: make a record of the days that it rains. Then they started using CD's and tapes and learned that you could record data to a CD or a tape so they probably first saw the recording button there. Next maybe they saw a video camera and discovered that you could record video and audio too with the same button and all of this translates onto a television with recording video. Nowhere along the way was the record button used for timing or zapping.

Willo3092
22-01-19, 20:59
Nowhere along the way was the record button used for timing or zapping.

That's evolution for you :thumbsup:

birdman
22-01-19, 21:07
Nowhere along the way was the record button used for timing or zapping.How did you zap on a tape recorder?

EGGMANCAN
22-01-19, 21:08
but there is enough space for a timer button and a record button. or... we can use just 1 button called "Timers". then you choose what function you want to be used with the timer. notification, zap and record.

my only issue is with there being 2 buttons for the same purpose. why create the same thing twice?

nekrub2
30-01-19, 18:59
Dear all

For me the auto-timer is the real timer. I use it now for switching on the TV when a program starts or zap from radio to the TV station. So it's more that "record". I would like to know when somebody needs the normal timer. What can be done in Timer you cannot in Autotimer?
My suggestion: Kick out the normal timer.
nekrub2

birdman
31-01-19, 00:02
I would like to know when somebody needs the normal timer. What can be done in Timer you cannot in Autotimer?I see a flim and click on Record to record it. Why would I use an AutoTimer for that?

My suggestion: Kick out the normal timer.You do realize that all the AutoTimer code does is to set a "normal timer"?

nekrub2
31-01-19, 05:30
Hi Birdman
I can't agree with your answer that the AutoTimer just sets set a "normal timer". The "normal timer" does an action at a given time, however the Auto Timer does it when a certain transmission starts. This is what I assume is needed in 99% of the cases. But instead of offering two user-interfaces I would integrate them into one, with a possibility to to say "yes" if the user wants the action take at a specific time.
nekrub2

ccs
31-01-19, 10:28
So you want autotimer to ask if you want to set a timer, so yet more key presses, daft idea.:)

I use both, maybe I use autotimers more, but the current choices are fine.

adm
31-01-19, 10:55
Hi Birdman
I can't agree with your answer that the AutoTimer just sets set a "normal timer". The "normal timer" does an action at a given time, however the Auto Timer does it when a certain transmission starts.

No it doesn't. It's effectively a search facility and when it finds something matching what you have asked it to search for it sets a timer.

For instance if you configure an Autotimer to record every episode of programme A then as programme A is listed in the EPG normal timers for programme A are added in advance of the program being transmitted. If you have a 7 day EPG and have configured the search to be for 7 days then the timer for that programme will be generated 7 days in advance of it being broadcast.

Try it for yourself. Chose a future programme in the EPG, say one in a few hours time, and configure the Autotimer just to zap to that programme. Exit the EPG and wait 60 seconds. Now go to menu -> timers -> timers and you will find that the Autotimer search has found the programme selected in advance of it being broadcast and has set a timer for it.

The Autotimer is NOT waiting for a program to start. It is searching for a set of criteria and setting a timer when an match is found irrespective of the broadcast time.

If you delete an Autotimer you will be given the option to keep or delete all the timers generated by this Autotimer.

This is what I assume is needed in 99% of the cases. But instead of offering two user-interfaces I would integrate them into one, with a possibility to to say "yes" if the user wants the action take at a specific time.
nekrub2

Possible the only “timer” that takes action at a specific real time is a Power Timer but this is more to do with configuring waking up and shutting down the box at user specified times.

EGGMANCAN
09-02-19, 15:09
No it doesn't. It's effectively a search facility and when it finds something matching what you have asked it to search for it sets a timer.

For instance if you configure an Autotimer to record every episode of programme A then as programme A is listed in the EPG normal timers for programme A are added in advance of the program being transmitted. If you have a 7 day EPG and have configured the search to be for 7 days then the timer for that programme will be generated 7 days in advance of it being broadcast.

Try it for yourself. Chose a future programme in the EPG, say one in a few hours time, and configure the Autotimer just to zap to that programme. Exit the EPG and wait 60 seconds. Now go to menu -> timers -> timers and you will find that the Autotimer search has found the programme selected in advance of it being broadcast and has set a timer for it.

The Autotimer is NOT waiting for a program to start. It is searching for a set of criteria and setting a timer when an match is found irrespective of the broadcast time.

If you delete an Autotimer you will be given the option to keep or delete all the timers generated by this Autotimer.

Possible the only “timer” that takes action at a specific real time is a Power Timer but this is more to do with configuring waking up and shutting down the box at user specified times.

Is there any way to make the Power Timer shutdown the box regardless of whether the EPG menu is open or not?

EGGMANCAN
09-02-19, 15:10
What's the issue with making the "Record" button bring up a dialogue box saying "Record" and "Record Series"?

EGGMANCAN
09-02-19, 15:13

God dammit, I think I'm gonna start using the power button to switch on my toaster! :p