PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] HDMI signal problem

joysleep1
20-12-18, 16:19
Hi Guys

THis is one of the strangest situation have experienced. I currently have a vu solo 2 in the living room which i use occasionally use when my parents are not watching. All of a sudden the HDMI is not working anymore on either of the ports. TBF the tv that in the living room is quite old. The model number is KDL-40V2500.
I tried the solo 2 on two other TVS in my house. More recent smart tvs. The one in my room is 32LM620T. I have a similar TV in the extension. The HDMI picure comes on both these TVs but not on my Sony one. Why is this? The skybox which my parents use works fine on either HDMI port so the port is not faulty on the sony TV.

The maximum resolution the tv can take is 720 so i changed this on my own tv and then tried to plug it back into the sony TV but getting no picture

Anyone have any idea?

ccs
20-12-18, 16:20
Sounds like an A/V setting on the vu solo 2, something the older tv isn't keen on.

joysleep1
20-12-18, 16:21
Sounds like an A/V setting on the vu solo 2, something the older tv isn't keen on.

But i swear it used to work before.. All of a sudden black screen. For a second i thought the HDMI on my solo 2 broke but i thought let me try the other two TVs and there is no problem

ronand
20-12-18, 16:31
Its not a full HD TV so if you have selected 1080p you wont see anything on the display. So check with a different TV that the output is 1080i

joysleep1
20-12-18, 16:35
Its not a full HD TV so if you have selected 1080p you wont see anything on the display. So check with a different TV that the output is 1080i

I changed it to 720 because that is the maximum resolution that TV can take. I will try again let me see.

ccs
20-12-18, 16:35
….OpenWebif can be used to try different settings without swapping tv's around.

Remember, unplugging active hdmi ports can do serious damage.

joysleep1
20-12-18, 16:53
….OpenWebif can be used to try different settings without swapping tv's around.

Remember, unplugging active hdmi ports can do serious damage.

Oh I definitely switch the receiver completely off before removing the cable. Just can't work out why i get no picture on the Sony TV when a sky plus HD box does without problems

joysleep1
20-12-18, 16:54

That'd only TV that I have that's not full 1080p resolution though

ronand
20-12-18, 16:59
The sky box probably only does 1080i so wont cause problems - satellite tv is not broadcast in 1080p. Also make sure you dont have auto-resolution enabled

joysleep1
20-12-18, 20:57
OK so I'm going to try again with my Sony TV after dinner but I just plugged it into my 60 inch smart LG TV and it worked on hdmi port 1 but not on hdmi port 4.. Why is that the case?

joysleep1
20-12-18, 21:05
The sky box probably only does 1080i so wont cause problems - satellite tv is not broadcast in 1080p. Also make sure you dont have auto-resolution enabled

Ok so i enabled it to 1080i and cycled to 720p using openwebif and still no picture. Its like it works on random televisions on random HDMI ports. It works on some ports and not others. It just doesn't make sense why its doing this. The box is somehow faulty with particular HDMI ports and particular televisions.

twol
20-12-18, 21:34
If my memory is correct some hdmi ports are set up as PC ports and so maybe different. You need to read the manual and check what they are for.
Also use one hdmi cable you are absolutely sure is new and works, and use that across all TV‘S.

joysleep1
20-12-18, 22:11
If my memory is correct some hdmi ports are set up as PC ports and so maybe different. You need to read the manual and check what they are for.
Also use one hdmi cable you are absolutely sure is new and works, and use that across all TV‘S.

Yh I'm testing everything with the same hdmi cable. But still can't find out why it doesn't work on my Sony TV on either hdmi port 1 and 2 when I'm sure it was working before.

ccs
20-12-18, 22:22
Maybe post a snapshot of the A/V settings on your vu solo 2?

joysleep1
20-12-18, 22:31
Maybe post a snapshot of the A/V settings on your vu solo 2?

It literally just says 720p with automatic resolution disabled. Now this works fine for the other tv's with certain ports but not at all on my Sony. Now the ports both work fine for my parents sky plus HD box so the ports are working. Strange

ccs
20-12-18, 22:42
Refresh rate of 50Hz ??

joysleep1
21-12-18, 00:19
Refresh rate of 50Hz ??

Tried both.. But that won't make a difference.. I tried all possible options but never get picture.

ccs
21-12-18, 19:31
I know this won't be of much help, but if you google your tv set model, there are lots of posts on lots of forums.

One example is a guy who's dvd player gave a black screen when using hdmi.
He took the player and cable to the shop he bought it from and it worked fine.
They replaced the tv, but the dvd player still didn't work!

There may be a tv setting that now needs tweaking, but I couldn't find what it might be.

There are other reference to hdmi black screens, so it's not just your vu box, although it may be part of the problem.

Is the hdmi cable particularly long, because that can cause problems with power drops between boxes?

joysleep1
22-12-18, 11:11
I know this won't be of much help, but if you google your tv set model, there are lots of posts on lots of forums.

One example is a guy who's dvd player gave a black screen when using hdmi.
He took the player and cable to the shop he bought it from and it worked fine.
They replaced the tv, but the dvd player still didn't work!

There may be a tv setting that now needs tweaking, but I couldn't find what it might be.

There are other reference to hdmi black screens, so it's not just your vu box, although it may be part of the problem.

Is the hdmi cable particularly long, because that can cause problems with power drops between boxes?

Hmm no no that long.
I have given up. I have placed my xtrend 10000 receiver instead. But i am using component rather than HDMI because i am scared this TV might damage the HDMI. I do want to ask though rather than making a new thread, is there anyway that the TV will switch to the AV by itself once i turn my box on from standby? My sky remote does not cycle through AV3 which is the component signal so keep having to use an app on my phone to switch it. Would be awesome that it switches itself once i turn the receiver on.

Thanks

ccs
22-12-18, 11:44
It doesn't sound like the vu's hdmi socket has been damaged if it works ok on other tv's.

Maybe try a powered hdmi splitter between the tv and the vu, it might get it working again, and they're handy to have even if it doesn't.

joysleep1
22-12-18, 13:18
It doesn't sound like the vu's hdmi socket has been damaged if it works ok on other tv's.

Maybe try a powered hdmi splitter between the tv and the vu, it might get it working again, and they're handy to have even if it doesn't.

I definitely think the TV has done something because prior to my solo 2 there was an edison os mini. A few months ago the hdmi stopped working for that receiver as well. Its so strange.. It booted up but never got picture again.. Now my solo 2 has been hit with that TV.. I'm not risking it again with my xtrend.. I want to buy another TV for the living room but my parents are happy with this one. Stupid Sony TV.. Its so old as well..

ccs
22-12-18, 14:29
I definitely think the TV has done something because prior to my solo 2 there was an edison os mini. A few months ago the hdmi stopped working for that receiver as well. Its so strange.. It booted up but never got picture again.. Now my solo 2 has been hit with that TV.. I'm not risking it again with my xtrend.. I want to buy another TV for the living room but my parents are happy with this one. Stupid Sony TV.. Its so old as well..

So "This is one of the strangest situations I have experienced." in #1 is a bit of an exaggeration:)