PDA

View Full Version : Solo 2 to Uno 4k

rob77
22-11-18, 22:45
Hi

Has anyone gone from a vu+ solo 2 to a Uno 4k and is it worth the upgrade? I mainly use it for FTA channels, iptv and kodi.

To be honest the solo 2 is serving me well it just lacks x265 support and very little flash memory.

Cheers

Andy_Hazza
24-11-18, 11:35
The Vu+ Uno 4K SE is a great receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twol
24-11-18, 11:56
........ but depending on how much recording you do ..... the Octagon SF8008 (at a great price) might be as good a solution (certainly as good - if not better - for IPTV and Kodi)

rob77
24-11-18, 17:00
Thanks guys

I don't do any recording really and only use the internal drive for picons and such. But that is mainly because the solo2 has such a low amount of flash storage. Maybe a zero 4k might be an option?

I know it's probably frowned upon here but I'd like to stick with a vu+ as I find black hole such a great image. I've tried vix, openatv etc and they just don't perform as well for me.

Cheers

twol
24-11-18, 17:24
Thanks guys

I don't do any recording really and only use the internal drive for picons and such. But that is mainly because the solo2 has such a low amount of flash storage. Maybe a zero 4k might be an option?

I know it's probably frowned upon here but I'd like to stick with a vu+ as I find black hole such a great image. I've tried vix, openatv etc and they just don't perform as well for me.

Cheers
No problem, your choice!!
But you are kind of locked into Blackhole/Vu+ ......you might be surprised by something like the sf8008, I certainly have been..... and I have some powerful Vu+ equivalent receivers.

rob77
24-11-18, 17:36
Thanks twol

Do you have any issues with iptv and the sf8008? Reason I ask is because I've had the solo2 on vix and openatv and I have a zgemma h9 on openatv and have had issues with freezing on both. I know a bit of freezing is normal for iptv but this was really regular.

Cheers

Andy_Hazza
24-11-18, 17:41
Thanks twol

Do you have any issues with iptv and the sf8008? Reason I ask is because I've had the solo2 on vix and openatv and I have a zgemma h9 on openatv and have had issues with freezing on both. I know a bit of freezing is normal for iptv but this was really regular.

Cheers

Freezing is all down to your supplier I’m afraid. If you treat IPTV same as Satellite viewing, you will always be disappointed.

twol
24-11-18, 17:52
Andy is absolutely correct about IPTV, but teh SF8008 (although limited in terms of tuners, internal HDD etc) has been a real surprise and delivers (and they are still improving the receiver drivers) ... and this is after I was really disappointed with the SF4008 ( so I didn‘t expect to be a fan of this box) ..... but people also seem to like the Vu+ zero, so its your choice.
I guess all I am saying is that lower cost doesn‘t always mean poor performance.... just decide what you need from the receiver and buy appropiately.

Andy_Hazza
24-11-18, 17:59
I would also add that the SF8008 is an excellent receiver too. Also has the Stalker plugin for your IPTV needs and proper Kodi if you wanted that too.

rob77
24-11-18, 18:23
Cheers guys

I know it can be down to the supplier and I have had problems with one of them. My supplier now is pretty much as good as I have seen. Using black hole a few freezes here and there which is to be expected for iptv. But using openatv I got much more freezing which made me think it was more of a driver issue. I tried all the usual things like installing serviceapp and setting my streams to 4097 etc.

I might try the sf8008 as it does seem to tick all the boxes. Is everyone running openvix on theirs? Also how is kodi, is it the latest version?

Andy_Hazza
24-11-18, 18:31
ViX is running sweet on the SF8008. It is Kodi 17.6 which is in the feeds as v18 is still in the Beta stages.

danny121pt
24-11-18, 18:35
Cheers guys

I know it can be down to the supplier and I have had problems with one of them. My supplier now is pretty much as good as I have seen. Using black hole a few freezes here and there which is to be expected for iptv. But using openatv I got much more freezing which made me think it was more of a driver issue. I tried all the usual things like installing serviceapp and setting my streams to 4097 etc.

I might try the sf8008 as it does seem to tick all the boxes. Is everyone running openvix on theirs? Also how is kodi, is it the latest version?

Yes I use OpenVIX in emmc, then OpenATV and PurE2 in sd card multi boot.
Kodi is Kodi 17.6 currently. In which plays internally.
Stalker-QT - if you have Mac based iptv also, only issue currently for that is pause on vod does not work vrs the HD51.
IPTV via Suls and Xtream-Editor
FreeView via DVB-t2 for myself.

Works well and is good cost for it also.

twol
24-11-18, 18:36
Cheers guys

Kodi on the sf8008 is a complete Kodi implementation so (I don‘t use Kodi at the moment) should be really good... rather than the usual “Kodi imports“ ... you need to ask a few guys on the forum that have posted on Kodi.
I think (but I would) that OpenViX on the SF8008 is pretty good, plus you get integral multiboot so you can flip between images if you want to try different images if you add an SD card (you can have upto 3 images installed on the SF8008)

rob77
24-11-18, 20:22
Thank you so much for all the advice. I think I'm going to try the octagon and see how I get on with it :)

twol
24-11-18, 20:29
I hope you like it .... although it doesn‘t have a Vu remote!!

rob77
24-11-18, 21:13
Just one thing twol. I've read a post on the octagon sub forum and there are a couple of people saying they are having issues with stuttering. Do you notice anything?

Cheers

twol
24-11-18, 21:32
No, I haven‘t but then again, the only thing I would say is that Octagon are actively handling issues as they are posted and so far have been good at fixing the issues.... although not always fast enough for some people, who have low patience levels.
..... but if it is a concern don‘t buy - I would prefer you to be happy with your next purchase!