PDA

View Full Version : A few questions?

joysleep1
19-11-18, 13:05
Hi Guys

I am thinking about getting one of these receiver but have a few questions. This would primarily be used a slave box because i already have my xtrend 10000 in my room with all the tuners it requires. This would be placed in my extension where i have my 4k telly. When we did our extension, we did not get any wiring sorted in terms of satellite or cables. I managed to get my CAT 6 cable in so i just use remotechannelsteam plug in and it works fine on my solo 2. I plan on moving the solo 2 into the living room and getting one of these into my extension. I do want to know whether it can play 4k files straight from the hardrive. As of now, i normally download something in 2160p and have to transfer it onto my portable hardrive and then plug that into the TV. I am hoping that this receiver will be able to play the file without problems. Also, would it also play iptv 4k channels without problems if i upload the m3u file onto it? Thats the main uses for it if i were to get one.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Trial
19-11-18, 13:10
Hi,
I do not have this box but my VUs can play 4K over network BUT afaik no STB up to now plays 4K encoded in h264 it must be h265 or on some STBs VP9.

ciao

joysleep1
19-11-18, 13:25
Hi,
I do not have this box but my VUs can play 4K over network BUT afaik no STB up to now plays 4K encoded in h264 it must be h265 or on some STBs VP9.

ciao

Oh which VU box do you have that can play 4k content over network? Does the VU have to be a 4k VU box?

twol
19-11-18, 14:00
Note:Octagon SF8008 ---->>>>> 2160P Media Playback H.264 und H.265 HEVC

By the way specs for the HD51 says: (but as Trial has said not 4K H264)
Video/audio decoder:
– HEVC 4kx2k/60p
– OpenGLES 2.0
– H.263, H.264, H.265, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VC-1, AVS+, DivX, VP6, VP8, VP9, Xvid
– AAC, AC3, DDP, FLAC, LPCM, MPEG, Ogg Vorbis, SRS, PCM on WAV, Real
Audio, WMA, DTS

joysleep1
19-11-18, 14:17
Note:Octagon SF8008 ---->>>>> 2160P Media Playback H.264 und H.265 HEVC

By the way specs for the HD51 says: (but as Trial has said not 4K H264)
Video/audio decoder:
– HEVC 4kx2k/60p
– OpenGLES 2.0
– H.263, H.264, H.265, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VC-1, AVS+, DivX, VP6, VP8, VP9, Xvid
– AAC, AC3, DDP, FLAC, LPCM, MPEG, Ogg Vorbis, SRS, PCM on WAV, Real
Audio, WMA, DTS

So what do you think twol? i cant remember exactly what file type i downloaded. For example, i downloaded planet earth 2 in UHD and i have to move the file onto a portable hardrive which i insert into the TV and it plays, i am hoping that the hd51 can play it so i can avoid having to transfer the file onto my portable hardrive in the first place. I will check the file type and get back to you.
Thanks

twol
19-11-18, 14:21
If its going to be in your bedroom, then you might be better off with the Octagon SF8008 ( but only have the SF8008 remote - which is OK)- as much as I appreciate the HD51, so far I am really impressed with the SF8008 !

Sicilian
19-11-18, 14:24
The remotes on the SF8008 and HD51 are now more or less identical apart the remote codes they use.

joysleep1
19-11-18, 14:31
Thanks guys, but i want an internal hardrive so thats why i am more leaning to the HD51. Just want to know whether it work for what i want it do do. Mainly play 4k files and 4k iptv channels.

Sicilian
19-11-18, 17:54
Mainly play 4k files and 4k iptv channels.

You need to remember that predominantly you are buying a receiver. You may need to re-encode your 4K files, regards 4K IPTV channels I think you'll be lucky to get any 4K IPTV.

joysleep1
19-11-18, 17:58
You need to remember that predominantly you are buying a receiver. You may need to re-encode your 4K files, regards 4K IPTV channels I think you'll be lucky to get any 4K IPTV.

Thats what i am trying to find out. I know there are not meany 4k IPTV streams but i do have a few that by VU solo 2 wont play. If i upload them to my smart tv it works but using it on the smart tv is a faf. So was wandering if this receiver can play it without any trouble?

twol
19-11-18, 18:53
I think you need to find out which codecs they are using and then compare to the specs.
Unfortunately technology moves on but not always the receivers
E.g. the chip in the Giga4K offers (slightly) more than the HD51, and the SF8008 appears to offer more still.... but reading the latest blurbs, I see that the latest Vu+ will not support some of the older codecs. (There is a chip table on OPenATV that shows this for the Vu+‘s) ........ so its a moving target.

You might talk to Mickkie who on another thread appears to have been through all this regarding the HD51

joysleep1
19-11-18, 20:10
OK so for example

this is a type of file that i downloaded

Planet Earth II S01E03 Jungles 2160p UHD BluRay HEVC HDR 360° DTSHD5.1-DDR

This is an MKV file. It plays fine when i use a portable hardrive inserted into the TV.

Will this play on the HD51?

machare
20-11-18, 14:25
OK so for example

this is a type of file that i downloaded

Planet Earth II S01E03 Jungles 2160p UHD BluRay HEVC HDR 360° DTSHD5.1-DDR

This is an MKV file. It plays fine when i use a portable hardrive inserted into the TV.

Will this play on the HD51?

If you upload a sample to some website I could download it and try.

joysleep1
20-11-18, 14:35
If you upload a sample to some website I could download it and try.

Hmm
I dont really know how i would do that. The file is an hour long or so. Do MKV files play on any enigma 2 receivers?

Sicilian
20-11-18, 14:43
Hmm
I dont really know how i would do that. The file is an hour long or so. Do MKV files play on any enigma 2 receivers?

If you're expecting to buy the HD51 and play whatever 4k UHD file you throw at it don't buy it. Not even my NVidia shield can play all 4k UHD files thrown at it. Be prepared to re-encode or re-mux some of your downloaded files.

joysleep1
20-11-18, 17:14
Has anyone downloaded any 4k contect and tried to see if any 4k enigma 2 receiver will play it. It would be surprising that none of them can play any files that in 2160p resolution ?

It would also be surprising if it can not play any iptv channels in 4k. Surely these receivers surpass android boxes that say it can play 4k?

Trial
20-11-18, 17:28
Hi,
as I said my Solo4K and Ultimo4K play a lot of HEVC (h265) files. They do not play all HDR/VP9 files. They do not play 4K h264 at all. This behavior is more or less common to all current STBs.

Ralf

joysleep1
20-11-18, 17:35
Hi,
as I said my Solo4K and Ultimo4K play a lot of HEVC (h265) files. They do not play all HDR/VP9 files. They do not play 4K h264 at all. This behavior is more or less common to all current STBs.

Ralf

Ok

How do i check if a file is h265 or h 264?

Thanks

twol
20-11-18, 17:41
Mediainfo ...... on Windows and linux

joysleep1
20-11-18, 21:32
Mediainfo ...... on Windows and linux

I right click on the file but no where on there does it mention h265 or 2264. Strange

Andy_Hazza
21-11-18, 07:28
I right click on the file but no where on there does it mention h265 or 2264. Strange

It’s a program you have to download and install on your Windows pc. Once running it gives you all the tech specs of the video files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danny121pt
22-11-18, 16:05
My Mutant HD51 plays 4k films within Stalker-QT with player as GST or EXTplayer, not had one be black screen or issues yet.

Have zero clue on size or codecs, as of course not "true 4k" in terms of a direct rip etc

joysleep1
22-11-18, 16:11
My Mutant HD51 plays 4k films within Stalker-QT with player as GST or EXTplayer, not had one be black screen or issues yet.

Have zero clue on size or codecs, as of course not "true 4k" in terms of a direct rip etc

So does it play any of your films natively?

joysleep1
04-01-19, 11:01
Hi Guys

Just wanted to update you guys on this issue.
So i purchased a HD51 a few weeks ago and i love it. Very snappy quick box. Now in regards to my 4k content stuff. I was pleasantly surprised that i got picture on my ultra HD content. Now it plays fine most of the time but a few scenes, it plays back really poorly, really choppy picture, the sound is cutting out and picture is jerking. After that scene finished it cleared up and was playing perfectly again. I thought that maybe the file was dodgy so i transferred it to a portable hardrive and plugged it straight into my LG tv and played it back there and it was smooth on that scene where it was choppy. That got me to think maybe the hardrive in my HD51 was not fast enough to play, so i insert my portable hardrive into the HD51 and the same thing happened. So it was not the hardrive. I then thought maybe my HDMI cable is slow. So i bought a 4k compatible HDMI cable

here is the link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Syncwire-premium-HDMI-Cable-High-Speed-V2-0-4K-3D-2160p-HDMI-Lead-2M-1-5M-Black/113005065426?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=413377669735&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Syncwire-premium-HDMI-Cable-High-Speed-V2-0-4K-3D-2160p-HDMI-Lead-2M-1-5M-Black/113005065426?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=413377669735&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I thought this would maybe playback everything smoothly, but again it was choppy. So maybe the box is not powerful enough to play 4k content. I was watching plannet earth 2 and blue plannet in 2160p resolution. I really thought that the receiver would play these files esp with the file being the correct codec and everything. I have yet to try and watch a film but the same thing would happen.

ccs
04-01-19, 11:54
What A/V settings are you using?

joysleep1
04-01-19, 12:09
What A/V settings are you using?

erm

standard.. 2160p at 60hz. Tried both. Did not make a difference. Do you have any 4k boxes ccs?

ccs
04-01-19, 12:13
Do you have any 4k boxes ccs?............No.

joysleep1
04-01-19, 12:19
I just want to try find out what is causing this. It kinda seems to be on scenes where there is a lot of movement. For example, it was an a scene where there were million of locusts flying across this huge field. It seemed to jerk quite whenever this moment came. Is it the receiver, HDMI or hardrive?
Can not put my finger on it

ccs
04-01-19, 12:29
This may help....

On most TV's the best advice is to look at all the picture " special assists" and turn them off. Most are just marketing gimmicks that provide no improvement whatsoever.
If you look at the settings for a THX certified display, you will find all these gimmicks are turned off.

joysleep1
04-01-19, 12:38
This may help....

Ok will look at this when i get home..But strange thing is that it plays back perfectly when i directly plug the portable hardrive. So that leads me to think the receiver is just not capable enough. Is it the chip? Ram? Would love to know if another receiver would be able to play it or its just not going to work with any of them.

twol
04-01-19, 13:29
Ok will look at this when i get home..But strange thing is that it plays back perfectly when i directly plug the portable hardrive. So that leads me to think the receiver is just not capable enough. Is it the chip? Ram? Would love to know if another receiver would be able to play it or its just not going to work with any of them.

There have been media players around with chipsets far less powerful and capable of handling these requirements (and the hd51 is typical of the arm receivers and you don‘t see endless protests about not being able to play apart from some strange audio codecs), so its likely to be the settings on the hd51/TV that need sorting out.

joysleep1
04-01-19, 13:31
There have been media players around with chipsets far less powerful and capable of handling these requirements (and the hd51 is typical of the arm receivers and you don‘t see endless protests about not being able to play apart from some strange audio codecs), so its likely to be the settings on the hd51/TV that need sorting out.

I really tried changing settings but it kept jerking.

joysleep1
04-01-19, 13:33

So it has nothing to do with the capability of the receiver you do not think?
Nothing to do with flash memeory ram? processor power?

twol
04-01-19, 13:35
So it has nothing to do with the capability of the receiver you do not think?
Nothing to do with flash memeory ram? processor power?
No don‘t see play issues like this on the forums.... except as noted for some audio codecs.

joysleep1
05-01-19, 22:16
Hi guys
I thought I would paste a link of the problems I was experiencing with the playback

See link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gte00dn53wyumgk/20190104_211405.mp4?dl=0

Question is whether it's the receiver or the settings

ccs
05-01-19, 22:58
I can't see it being the receiver, does it always fail at the same place?

joysleep1
06-01-19, 00:31

Yes and few other scenes and other episodes. That video was just an example.
I can't see what other reason it could be. I tried playing it through that e2iplayer but same thing happened.
Tried changing the hdmi ports. Same thing.

joysleep1
06-01-19, 00:43

Also thinking its the receiver because it has no problems playing the file when I insert the portable hardrive directly into the TV. So the TV is clearly capable

cactikid
06-01-19, 01:05
What files does the tv support i would be checking that,i thought you said file was on internal hdd or you have a copy also on portable.
I have 2 desktop externally powered ones and files wont play on e2 box because it was recorded differently on a non e2 box.
Was thinking must be a media player in plugins that plays that source,the joys of modern tech:confused:

ccs
06-01-19, 10:11
Also thinking its the receiver because it has no problems playing the file when I insert the portable hardrive directly into the TV. So the TV is clearly capable

I can change the settings on my ancient tv for each individual input, so tuner, hdmi, scart etc can all have different values.

On your tv, hdmi and usb are clearly very different types of input device.

joysleep1
06-01-19, 10:41
What files does the tv support i would be checking that,i thought you said file was on internal hdd or you have a copy also on portable.
I have 2 desktop externally powered ones and files wont play on e2 box because it was recorded differently on a non e2 box.
Was thinking must be a media player in plugins that plays that source,the joys of modern tech:confused:

I don't know exactly what my TV supports but it's an LG 4k TV. Yes I said it works with my portable hardrive connected to the TV. I tried connecting the portable hardrive into the receiver but the same thing happens. The file is also on my internal hardrive.

joysleep1
06-01-19, 10:43
I can change the settings on my ancient tv for each individual input, so tuner, hdmi, scart etc can all have different values.

On your tv, hdmi and usb are clearly very different types of input device.

Yh I know so it must be the receiver because portable USB plays fine. Maybe the hdmi speeds or something else is limited here to play the file from the receiver.

ccs
06-01-19, 10:47
Yh I know so it must be the receiver because portable USB plays fine. Maybe the hdmi speeds or something else is limited here to play the file from the receiver.
I'm suggesting the complete opposite.

For example, and it's only an example, usb input may be set to 1080, which would have a better chance of working.

I'm assuming "receiver" is the hd51.

joysleep1
06-01-19, 11:11
I'm suggesting the complete opposite.

For example, and it's only an example, usb input may be set to 1080, which would have a better chance of working.

I'm assuming "receiver" is the hd51.

Yes the receiver is a hd51. But when I plug the portable hardrive it plays in 2160p resolution. I don't have to use do anything. It just plays perfectly

ccs
06-01-19, 11:22
What about the tv "special assists" mentioned earlier, could they differ between hdmi and usb input?

joysleep1
06-01-19, 11:28
What about the tv "special assists" mentioned earlier, could they differ between hdmi and usb input?

Oh yh OK let me try that when I go down
Where exactly is that option?

ccs
06-01-19, 11:34
Someone else with an LG may know what to look for, things like Vivid or Sports mode, you might be able to spot them.

joysleep1
06-01-19, 11:45
Someone else with an LG may know what to look for, things like Vivid or Sports mode, you might be able to spot them.

I can't find anything with special assist. It's just the picture modes. Mine is on eco. I'll try change them around

ccs
06-01-19, 12:26
That's eco for economy, but google suggests turning it off.

"Special assist" is just a phrase used in the earlier post, not the name of a specific setting

joysleep1
06-01-19, 12:32
That's eco for economy, but google suggests turning it off.

"Special assist" is just a phrase used in the earlier post, not the name of a specific setting

I put it on sport mode and Vivid mode. Same thing

joysleep1
06-01-19, 12:52
I would be curious to see if this would happen on the another 4k enigma 2 receiver. If anyone has any another receiver I can wouldn't mind sharing the link with you to try. Would appreciate it.
Ideally you would need fast download speeds because the file is large

ccs
06-01-19, 12:53
I put it on sport mode and Vivid mode. Same thing
The idea was to switch off this type of setting if it had already been set.

What model of LG tv have you?

cactikid
06-01-19, 13:05
Does hdmi cable have any bearing in quality for 4k use?

ccs
06-01-19, 13:07

The OP changed cables....

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?60415-A-few-questions&p=479499&viewfull=1#post479499

joysleep1
06-01-19, 13:16
The idea was to switch off this type of setting if it had already been set.

What model of LG tv have you?

LG UF850v..

I tried all the settings.

joysleep1
06-01-19, 13:18

That's what I thought initially. I was convincing myself that the hdmi wasn't good enough so I bought a 4k one which I thought would have worked.. But now I'm thinking the receiver isn't powerful enough..

ccs
06-01-19, 13:41
Have you spotted a setting called TruMotion in your travels?

If you have, try switching it off, or adjust its value if it has a number of different options.

cactikid
06-01-19, 13:57
Another thing others with a 4k box and tv try it on their models to see if it works on theirs so not limiting to one box for the moment.

joysleep1
06-01-19, 14:30

If you have, try switching it off, or adjust its value if it has a number of different options.

OK will try that

joysleep1
06-01-19, 15:49
Another thing others with a 4k box and tv try it on their models to see if it works on theirs so not limiting to one box for the moment.

OK so I took my hd51 to my cousins house who has a Panasonic 4k telly. Same thing happened with the choppy playback. So it must be the receiver

joysleep1
06-01-19, 15:49

Tried changing this
No difference.