PDA

View Full Version : MAC address change is it possible on LX3

wambam
15-11-18, 23:48
Hi ,
is it possible to change the MAC address on an LX3 ?

I'm using latest Vix at the moment ,but am open to pastures new.
thanks

birdman
15-11-18, 23:53
is it possible to change the MAC address on an LX3 ?Why do you wish to do so?

wambam
16-11-18, 01:01
Is this a quiz?

birdman
16-11-18, 01:35
Is this a quiz?Well, I asked a question - and so did you.
I'm wondering what you expect to achieve by changing a MAC address - there may be other ways of achieving what you want.

JonMMM
16-11-18, 08:45
He probably has a MAG style IPTV sub and wants to use it on his other box too so needs the MAC address to match

birdman
16-11-18, 10:31
He probably has a MAG style IPTV sub and wants to use it on his other box too so needs the MAC address to matchBut you can't have the same MAC address on 2 boxes on the same network segment.

You can make software believe it is running with MAC address B when the system's (or rather, one of its network interfaces) MAC address is actually A.

wambam
16-11-18, 11:38
Yes the problem is I have 2 boxes.
1 downstairs and the Lx3 upstairs.
I would like to use the upstairs one at night when the other is turned off,
On my iptv.
Is it possible?

Sicilian
16-11-18, 14:06
The one downstairs? Is it an e2 box? If so you could prob use channels importer plugin on the LX3.

wambam
16-11-18, 14:39
It is also an e2 box yes. with the latest Vix
I will have a try with that thanks.
But would still like to know of a solution if possible.

birdman
16-11-18, 20:48
On my iptv.So you're trying to use two systems for one subscriptions?

Is it possible?Possibnly.
But since they appear to be on the same network you can't make them both have the same MAX address.

It can be possible to make software get the "wrong" (or "right" - i.e. the one that you want, not the one that is really there) MAC address when it queries for it. I once had to work out a way to do this (legitimately) when the supplier of a piece of software stopped support for it and we acquired a perpetual licence for it as it then was. Two years later we moved it to a new system (which our licence allowed us to do) and discovered that the "perpetual" licence code we had was tied to a MAC address, and the original supplier no longer existed. So I had to work out a fix to enable it to run again.

JonMMM
16-11-18, 20:55
On STB Emu on android you can change the MAC address that the stalker client looks at to grant access, it does not change the real MAC address as this would mess up routing. This is the the option that the OP is looking for, but to be fair to get that he needs to be talking to the writer of the plugin he is using rather than the Vix operating system

wambam
16-11-18, 21:15
I have a subscription..I only want to use 1 box at a time for obvious reasons...
If both boxes have the same Mac on the network , it wouldn't work I get that, but if one is turned off , then it would ,would it not?
So back to original question..
Is it possible to change or spoof the Mac on box 2?
Cheers

birdman
16-11-18, 22:53
Is it possible to change or spoof the Mac on box 2?As I've already said - spoofing it may be possible.

birdman
16-11-18, 22:54
I have a subscription..I only want to use 1 box at a time for obvious reasons...Not sure what is obvious about it.
If the subscription were for multiple devices it wouldn't be tied to a MAC address (well, it shouldn't...)

wambam
16-11-18, 23:36
Not sure what is obvious about it.
If the subscription were for multiple devices it wouldn't be tied to a MAC address (well, it shouldn't...)

the sub is for 12 month,,,now there was no small print

i don't want any more than i paid for...
aparentley it's mac specific
Now if it's possible ,
do you know how?
and if you do are you wiling to tell me?
getting dizzy

daz450
17-11-18, 00:03
it is possible to do what you want to do with STBEMU, I have one upstairs and downstairs on same sub, just cant use both at same time.

birdman
17-11-18, 02:10
the sub is for 12 month,,,now there was no small print

i don't want any more than i paid for...
aparentley it's mac specificSo the first thing to do is write a complaint to the supplier.

Now if it's possible ,cdo you know how?Clearly, since I said I've written one...

and if you do are you wiling to tell me?...and I've successfully searched my archive to find it.

The problem is that it needs a compiler to build it (Vix doesn't actually come with one, but it's simple to get one) and you need to be able to set an environment variable just for the application which actually checks the MAC address.

I'm assuming that this is a MIPS chipset (difficult to determine from a quick web search - it has a Broadcom 7424 chipset, but the Broadcom web site fails to mention the architecture for it!).

So if you PM me the MAC address you want, and the physical name of the network interface (eth0, wlan0,...) I'll compile it for you.

judge
17-11-18, 04:41
I had a solo 2 that reported no Mac address & used kill certain routers.
There was a network file on the box you could edit to spoof a Mac address, can't remember what it was tho but should be an easy solution.

I'm away at the moment so can't check any e2 box, but as far as I remember the VU vix builds come with a set Mac address option since then.
If you can find out which file that alters, you might be sorted.

birdman
17-11-18, 13:38
There was a network file on the box you could edit to spoof a Mac address, can't remember what it was tho but should be an easy solution.No, it won't. He wants to be able to run box A with the MAC from box B. That means that any and every time he wishes to do this he has to:

switch off B and ensure it stays off (no waking up for any recording)
start up A
login to A and edit the MAC-setting file
reboot A
use A
when finished using A, login to A and edit the MAC-setting file back to its own seeing
switch off or reboot A

twol
17-11-18, 13:49
Yes the problem is I have 2 boxes.
1 downstairs and the Lx3 upstairs.
On my iptv.
Is it possible?
So how do you use your IPTV links through bouquets or through some plugin?

Andy_Hazza
17-11-18, 14:08
Must be a plugin. A lot of arsing about if you ask me mind! [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bellejt
17-11-18, 14:41
maybe : https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?56493-2-boxes-with-same-MAC-address

judge
17-11-18, 14:52
No, it won't. He wants to be able to run box A with the MAC from box B. That means that any and every time he wishes to do this he has to:

switch off B and ensure it stays off (no waking up for any recording)
start up A

As he said he wants to do.

login to A and edit the MAC-setting file
reboot A
use A
when finished using A, login to A and edit the MAC-setting file back to its own seeing
switch off or reboot A

Shouldn't need to set it every time.

Try something like this in telnet when logged into the box:

ifconfig eth0 down && ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:01:02:03:04:05 up
Replace 00:01:02:03:04:05 with the MAC address you want.
If it works, find the startup script to put it in.

birdman
17-11-18, 18:33
If it works, find the startup script to put it in.Which would then leave him with two systems with the same MAC address when they are both on at the same time.
Which, assuming they are on the same network, isn't going to work.

judge
17-11-18, 19:38
Which would then leave him with two systems with the same MAC address when they are both on at the same time.
Which, assuming they are on the same network, isn't going to work.

As the OP wants.

If both boxes have the same Mac on the network , it wouldn't work I get that, but if one is turned off , then it would ,would it not?
So back to original question..
Is it possible to change or spoof the Mac on box 2?
Cheers

bbbuk
17-11-18, 23:56
I haven't tested this so make image backup beforehand...

edit: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/nfsroot

Below the 'nfsroot=0' line add following:

if [ "$IFACE" = "eth0" ]; then
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
fi
Obviously change xx, etc to mac you wish.

As mentioned by others, you can't have same mac on same network at same time so ensure other box if powered off.

It also assumes you're using eth0 interface which for LAN connection then you likely are. If WiFi then you may have to amend 'eth0' line accordingly (use 'ifconfig' to get details of interface name).

danny121pt
18-11-18, 08:43
On OpenVIX I just looked in

/etc/network/if-pre-up.d and see this inside hwmac

if [ -f /etc/enigma2/hwmac ]; then
macadr=`cat /etc/enigma2/hwmac`

That then tells me another hwmac file in /etc/enigma2 with just mac in with chmod 755, restarted box and then mac was changed to the mac I chose to emulate my Stalker subs (with no clashes in network router macs), then restarted box

Thats all I did anyways, easy peasy.

Note - this was done on Octagon SF8008 and Mutant HD51 not the machine you are asking for and just what I did.

wambam
19-11-18, 23:26
Thanks guys appreciate the help.

^^COMPASS^^
20-11-18, 00:11
Hi ,
is it possible to change the MAC address on an LX3 ?

I'm using latest Vix at the moment ,but am open to pastures new.
thanks

On my Duo2 I can change the Mac in Menu, Setup, Network, Device Setup!
Network MAC settings...

I made a note of my original mac before changing to another on my network & yes there was a conflict which was resolved by placing the other box on the same mac in this case my Vu Duo into Deep Standby.

And yes I was able to achieve what you desired. (Run a certain plugin on 2 devices via the same mac)

And I returned to the original mac after I completed the test...

danny121pt
20-11-18, 10:35
That change Network Mac settings is on all images I use, bar OpenVIX and OpenPli, and OpenEight on SF8008

OpenATV/PurE2/OpenHDf/OpenDroid/OpenSPA etc all have change network mac in Network menus.

Maybe its something OpenVIX could consider adding into there images in future?

bellejt
20-11-18, 17:28
Maybe its something OpenVIX could consider adding into there images in future? :: Is there already when I look.

twol
20-11-18, 17:42
Maybe its something OpenVIX could consider adding into there images in future? :: Is there already when I look.

Wait & see ! Maybe......

bellejt
20-11-18, 18:19
what I meant is that I can change the mac address in the menu on my vu duo2 inside the vix image. Why would I have to wait then or is something else meant here ?

wambam
20-11-18, 18:32
What version of Vix?
Because I don't see that option.

twol
20-11-18, 18:53

So whats in menu information for your kernel??
I am guessing its 3.15.xx ??

bellejt
20-11-18, 18:54
latest vix for vu duo2 (menu - setup - network - adapter - lan - mac address : dutch menu version)

twol
20-11-18, 18:55
latest vix for vu duo2 (menu - setup - network - adapter - lan - mac address : dutch menu version)

Yes, I know thats not what I asked —— what kernel are you on??

bellejt
20-11-18, 19:50
kernel ? In latest image 5.2.013 after flashing 3.13.5 / 20180319

twol
20-11-18, 19:56
kernel ? In latest image 5.2.013 after flashing 3.13.5 / 20180319

OK thats why it works.... need to change pull.... didn‘t realise that some boxes were still on that level of kernel.