PDA

View Full Version : flashing help

mrtayto
15-11-18, 15:11
im trying to flash a new image.
i think im following the instructions correctly
im using a 8GB kingston datatraveler usb stick but the box keeps booting up normaly with out giving me an option to flash a new image. i've tried a few different usb sticks it doesn't make an difference.
any idea what i might be doing wrong?

twol
15-11-18, 15:20
USB flash can be a real pain - so use ViX ImageManager to install new image (flash online/couch flash)

mrtayto
15-11-18, 16:34
would you be able to expand more on this or point me to a guide.
thanks for help.

twol
15-11-18, 16:46
Menu/setup/ViX/ImageManager
Yellow button -download latest image /red button to exit back
Blue button /Flash

mrtayto
15-11-18, 17:03
the box has Fortis OS on it at the minute, is it possible to use ViX ImageManager with fortis?

twol
15-11-18, 17:33
the box has Fortis OS on it at the minute, is it possible to use ViX ImageManager with fortis?

No - sorry thought it was running ViX

mrtayto
15-11-18, 17:47
just after noticing the usb stick i'm using is usb 3.0 would this make any difference to the flashing process?

twol
15-11-18, 18:01
Its always better to stay with the oldest stick around - usb 2.0 minimal storage.

mrtayto
15-11-18, 20:15
found a 2.0 2GB stick and managed to get it sorted
thanks for the help

ccs
15-11-18, 20:18
… keep it in a safe place just in case you need it again, and use image manager from now on, it's so much easier.

mrtayto
15-11-18, 20:31
it looks to be so much better then Fortis anyway.
just after cancelling my sky subscription so this will be a steep learning curve for me.

kb007
04-11-20, 18:50
Can someone tell me which button you hold when you reboot?

I' tried the standby button and the channel up button...but it doesnt flash

also tried the image download and flash but it crashes currently running 5.3.039 and wanting to upgrade to 5.3.040

twol
04-11-20, 18:59
Can someone tell me which button you hold when you reboot?

I' tried the standby button and the channel up button...but it doesnt flash

also tried the image download and flash but it crashes currently running 5.3.039 and wanting to upgrade to 5.3.040
Can you be more specific and document what you are trying to do - with the current comments you could be in many menu‘s Also post the crash log here.

ccs
04-11-20, 19:22
This is the guide for the Tiviar Alpha+....

https://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/guides-and-tutorials/receiver-usb-flashing-guides/tiviar-usb-flashing-guides/

The release after 5.3.039 is 5.4.001

If you have a working system, couch flashing would be easier....

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?63400-OpenViX-5-4-released!

kb007
05-11-20, 09:31
currently running 5.3.039 and wanting to upgrade to 5.3.040 Running Open Vix

Sorry, Im currently running 039 and want to upgrade to 040. I've tried couch flashing and it downloads fine. But when it gets to using the image manager the flash bar just freezes and it doesn't update.

So I thought I would download the new update image to a usb. The instructions say push the power button when you turn the box on with the USB (and image) plugged in. But I assume the power button is the standby button? The white lit button in the middle of the front panel. If that is the case then it still doesnt update the image.

kb007
05-11-20, 10:35
currently running 5.3.039 and wanting to upgrade to 5.3.040 Running Open Vix

Sorry, Im currently running 039 and want to upgrade to 040. I've tried couch flashing and it downloads fine. But when it gets to using the image manager the flash bar just freezes and it doesn't update.

So I thought I would download the new update image to a usb. The instructions say push the power button when you turn the box on with the USB (and image) plugged in. But I assume the power button is the standby button? The white lit button in the middle of the front panel. If that is the case then it still doesnt update the image.

UPDATE: it just worked as couch it has now flashed the new updated image....thanks

bmitie
05-11-20, 17:43
UN fortunately these boxes are temperamental. I have 2 and A I don't update the software ie if it aint broke dont fix, B. I have numerous USB sticks. I use openatv in both.

Flashing, you need usb formatted to Fat32 and nothing else on it, zip extracted. No other USB sockets in use. I use a SANDISK cruzer and its tops. And its 32gb. You wont gain anything by upgrading but as I said you may have to try more than one usb stick. The button you press and hold until reading or update appears is the one that turns box on and off. Its the smallest one on the left.

Try this, box powered off, put in usb in front, hold power button in and keep holding switch on at back and wait.

Great news.