PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media rolls out 30Mbps broadband

bassethound
01-02-11, 17:18
Virgin Media has today launched a new 30Mbps broadband service to replace its existing 20Mbps package, as the firm's battle with BT and TalkTalk hots up.

The new 30Mbps XL service, which costs £18.50 per month, is a response to the increasing use of data-hungry wireless devices in the home, such as smartphones and tablets.

According to the cable operator, the explosion in popularity of such devices has meant that data consumption on its network has increased by more than 215% over the past three years. The 30Mbps service offers unlimited downloads and upload speeds of 3Mbps for sharing bandwidth-light content.

Virgin Media also claimed that customers will receive speeds close to the stated headline of 30Mbps, avoiding the "speed lottery" experienced with BT Infinity and services delivered over copper telephone wires.

Existing customers already on the XL 20Mbps broadband package are being invited to upgrade to 30Mbps from today, but they will have to pay the one-off fee of £30 to cover activation and installation of a new SuperHub router capable of Gigabit wired connectivity and dual-band 'N' WiFi.

"As consumers continually demand more and more from their broadband, the unique power of our next-generation network means that we're able to turn up the dial to meet their needs, said Jon James, executive director of broadband at Virgin Media.

"With so many devices connecting to the internet at home these days, our new 30Mbps service will give Virgin Media families that extra boost needed to make everything run smoothly, with speeds that don't slow down depending on where you live."

Virgin Media has reshuffled its broadband packages to include 10Mbps, 30Mbps, 50Mbps and the new 100Mbps service, which increased its footprint last month.

The cable operator has also grown its total broadband subscriber base to more than 4 million homes, larger than TalkTalk and second only to BT Retail.

pooface
01-02-11, 18:00
Once again, if available in my area, I'd probably move over to them. But, since it's not, and they don't wanna make it available, I won't...

It's a shame though, that half of the village is enabled, and the other half not! I'm just unlucky I guess...

chris76
01-02-11, 18:24
just got upgraded in belfast for £15 and it saves £1.50pm also get find base..

deano41
01-02-11, 18:59
I have the 50meg but don't have the super hub,do u think they will let me have one if i just phone up and ask for one !!

sivhead
04-02-11, 13:07
£18.50 a month ?
The minimum broadband advertised is (L) uptp 10MB which costs £20.25 a month
The next package advertised is (XL) upto 30mb £28.50 month

The 20mb service has just disapeared off my screen when I refreshed.. (the homepage still says 20mb) though.

Just as I clicked back the 30mb has disapeared and gone back to £20. but the page cannot displayed. anyway the £18.50 is if you take out a phone line.

bassethound
04-02-11, 13:22
I find its best to ring for the best deals with Virgin or where i live there is a Virgin shop go in there and haggle i know lots off people who got some cracking deals in the past

cypchris
04-02-11, 13:57
super hubs are crap mate dont bother with it formware is usless no dns option would not work with my homeplugs stick with seperate router and modem much better

have a look around google superhub problems

bobonthejob
07-02-11, 10:08
i can confirm that...SuperHub are dog crap....

I kept phoning and insisting on separate modem and router. They finally gave in...