PDA

View Full Version : Gigablue LCD panel: Picon background not transparent

outrage_uk
23-10-18, 00:21
There seems to be a light blue background on the front panel picon background. Ive tried disabling background colour in the options or changing it to transparent, but its just the same. OSD is fine.

Any ideas?

mrmattyc
17-02-19, 22:06
Did you find an solution for this? mine are doing exactly the same thing.

Glenn2
03-03-19, 00:26
Same here (on UHD UE4K). The ones downloaded from the plugin feeds look great but are old and some are missing. The current ones from picons.eu have this horrid blue background and look like crap. Especially the BBC TWO ones that are practically invisible.

dntaylor
04-03-19, 07:20
I have always downloaded the picons manually and replaced the BBC 1 & 2 ones as I always thought they looked better anyway.5849658495

Glenn2
05-03-19, 15:05
How do you make the background black for all the others though?
The old ones from the feed look great, the latest ones look terrible. They have a blue/grey mist when used in the LCD skin.

dntaylor
05-03-19, 22:00
Sorry I misunderstood I thought you were discussing just the BBC picons, I didn't realise this issue was with all new picons because I am using the old ones and manually download new picons and individually change them when needed, which is not very often.

abu baniaz
06-03-19, 00:10
Which exact picon set are you using?

BTW, the ones on the plugin server are old

dntaylor
06-03-19, 06:59
The ones I use are the Ocram SRP Picons (service reference named picons) snp-full.400x240-400x240.light.on.transparent and as confirmed by the members here the new picons do have a blue/grey mist when used in the LCD skin.

abu baniaz
07-03-19, 02:50
I tried with "enigma2-plugin-picons-srp-full.100x60-86x46.light.on.transparent_2019-03-04--22-28-13_all.ipk" on a GB UE 4K. There is indeed an issue. The picons work fine on a Solo 4k and Duo4k. Needs further investigation.

Joe_90
08-03-19, 13:56
@abu - I noticed this on the enigma2-plugin-picons-snp-full.400x240-400x240.light.on.transparent_2019-01-27--17-58-53_all.ipk set that I downloaded from picons.eu back in January. I had been using the version from Vix before this, but it was out of date as it didn't have the Virgin Media picons that are now needed for Saorview. Even at that, I had to rename some of the Virgin Media picons as the channels are named "Virgin One" on Saorview, rather than "Virgin 1" etc.

The version from picons.eu look perfect on screen, but have a blue/grey background on the LCD screen on my Gigablue Quad Plus. It happens on all channels. I hadn't bothered reporting it as the Vix version was ok (but incomplete/out of date).

abu baniaz
08-03-19, 18:31
I remember a similar issue where trial posted something similar about the duo2. Was a few years ago, maybe in the SNP thread.

We need to compare the picons and see what the differences are.

EDIT:
Looks like the picons on the the Vix server are not transparent, maybe named wrongly.

Glenn2
11-03-19, 15:25
I did try all the different varieties on picons.eu but none looked like the old ones on the Vix feed, and none looked good either (in my opinion).
So I stuck with the old ones.

I also made a solid black one as picon_default so that missing ones are black rather than white space.

Joe_90
12-03-19, 17:30
I remember a similar issue where trial posted something similar about the duo2. Was a few years ago, maybe in the SNP thread.

We need to compare the picons and see what the differences are.

EDIT:
Looks like the picons on the the Vix server are not transparent, maybe named wrongly.

@abu - do you know what the background colour is, if not transparent? The picons I downloaded from picon.eu two months ago (420x200) were labelled transparent and looked fine on the TV screen, but not on the LCD on the Quad Plus. When I re-checked picons.eu yesterday I couldn't see any 420x200 picons on the list.

I see you've pulled the original set from the Vix repository in the dev builds. Any alternative sources to picons.eu?

abu baniaz
12-03-19, 17:52
Ocram picons are on link below now

https://github.com/picons/picons/releases

Please post any link references that need to be added. My graphics skills are not good enough to compare the differences.

Maybe someone with another receiver that has a colour LCD, maybe an ET8500 can check for transparency issues with the picons. If it is the picons, I'll ask Ocram to have a look.

Joe_90
12-03-19, 18:00
I'll try a few downloads of 400x240 with different backgrounds and see which works best on the Quad Plus. Thanks for the direct link. Funny, though, the picons.eu downloads link is now pointing to the same github list. When I checked a couple of days ago I just got a limited set which had been released/committed by @hotio.

Joe_90
12-03-19, 18:31
edit - tried various 400x240 picons. Those that were marked transparent were transparent in the GUI but had that grey background on the LCD. Those that were marked blue were indeed blue/grey both on the GUI and on the LCD.

Trial
12-03-19, 19:30
Hi,
is the brightness of the LCD to high? On LCD TV/projector black (transparent) is not black but gray. Either dark or light gray depending on the brightness.

Ralf

Joe_90
13-03-19, 00:23
Haven't changed the brightness on the LCD, so it shouldn't be that. The original picons on the ViX download are fine - just the new ones are giving issues. Maybe the black levels are different on the new picons or they are set for a different range of levels?

abu baniaz
15-03-19, 11:39
I have reported issue to Gigablue. It seems they have a problem dealing with 8bit images. This includes the default_picon in images. Convert to 32 bit and they are fine.

May I take the opportunity to remind people ViX has function to use a separate picon folder for LCD picons. They can be placed in a folder caller piconlcd

Menu > Setup > Front Panel Display > Settings > Use separate picon pack for front display

Joe_90
16-03-19, 00:55
I have reported issue to Gigablue. It seems they have a problem dealing with 8bit images. This includes the default_picon in images. Convert to 32 bit and they are fine.

Do you mean 24 bit? My photo editor sees the picons as 8 bit png (256 colours), but I can save them as 24 bit. I don't see an option for 32 bit.

Joe_90
18-03-19, 13:39
I downloaded the snp picons (400x240) and I opened all the Saorview ones (RTE, Virginmedia 1/2/3, etc.) in an image editor and saved them as 24 bit pngs. They all display fine on the OSD and on the LCD screen. The conversion process makes the files even larger (about 30% - 40%), though. It would be a real pain to have to do this for the hundreds of picons used in Freesat/Sky, so the real solution would be for Gigablue to fix the handling of 8 bit colour images with transparent backgrounds.

abu baniaz
17-10-19, 12:37
Here are the old ipks for any interested parties

outrage_uk
22-07-22, 01:49
Did any fix happen (and been removed) for this issue?

Having the same problem with new 6.2 images.