PDA

View Full Version : Octagon SF8008

Funman18
22-09-18, 07:47
I like the look of this box and hope WOS stocks some. Available to 120 euros in Germany at moment and combines 4k satellite and terrestrial tuner

The Octagon SF8008 is the second 4K UHD receiver from Octagon. It encodes content in HEVC.265, offers two built-in tuners (DVB-S2x and DVB-C / T2), with 15,000 DMIPS quite wirungsfähig and fulfills current connectivity standards. It is equipped with a USB 3.0 port as well as a USB 2.0 port, a Gigabit LAN interface, a CA slot, an S / PDIF output, an AV, an RS-232 and an HDMI connection as well as a MicroSD card slot ,

Octagon SF8008 Powerful 4K receiver from Octagon

For a sufficiently stable connection while enjoying your high-resolution 4K content, the Octagon SF8008 features two WLAN antennas and a permanently installed WIFI module. In addition, the Octagon SF8008 supports numerous images, the download of additional entertainment and multimedia plug-ins, HDR and HLG and is also very economical with a power consumption of less than 0.5 watts.

Specifications Octagon SF8008:
- DVB-S2X & DVB-C / T2 Combo (2xTuner)
- Hisilicon Hi3798MV200 Huawei Chip
- Quad Core 64Bit (4x 1.6GHz) Processor with 15000 DMIPS
- 8GB eMMC
Flash Memory - 1GB DDR4 RAM
- 4- Digit 7
-Segment Display - 300Mbit Wlan installed, 2x Wlan antennas

Features:
- Linux Enigma2 OS Operating System
- DVB-S2X 4K UHD & Multistream
- PIP HD & UHD (Picture in Picture)
- HDR 10bit & HLG
- Blindscan (Blind Search)
- Kodi Support
- HbbTV
- Stalker Support
- ffmpeq HW Playback Support
- 2160P Media playback H.264 and H.265 HEVC
- OTA updates
- PVR recordings (* optional)
- 0.5W stand-by

connections:
1x H.265 HEVC 4K UHD DVB-S2X tuner LNB input
1x H.265 HEVC HD DVB-C / T2 tuner input
1x Dolby S-PDIF
1x AV audio video jack jack to RCA
1x RS-232 socket (maintenance & service)
2x WiFi antenna
1x USB 2.0 port

world-of-satellite.co.uk
22-09-18, 07:53
We will have them in stock hopefully during next week.

Sicilian
22-09-18, 07:58
Thread moved to new section for the SF8008.

Andy_Hazza
22-09-18, 08:22
I’m guessing this will only allow for an external HDD? Looks different with the antenna’s, bit like a router. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sicilian
22-09-18, 08:23
I’m guessing this will only allow for an external HDD? Looks different with the antenna’s, bit like a router. [emoji4]

Yes external only.

Sicilian
22-09-18, 08:27
I'm told is will do Kodi Hardware playback in E2, will use actual Kodi media player. Also has Stalker client.

Andy_Hazza
22-09-18, 10:20
Looks really promising. [emoji4]

Funman18
22-09-18, 10:23
Putting one on my wish list. Ticks all the boxes I am looking for.

twol
22-09-18, 11:01
Anyone know a use for the av jack, it seems to be a new feature on this and some other forthcoming HiSilicon receivers??

Sicilian
22-09-18, 14:52
Anyone know a use for the av jack, it seems to be a new feature on this and some other forthcoming HiSilicon receivers??

It's on a number of receivers, HD51 has it also, but you need correct A/V leads. Rare to be used nowadays.

Sicilian
23-09-18, 06:56
Interesting video featuring Kodi.

https://youtu.be/2e86H3PSTgk

cactikid
23-09-18, 12:30
If wos are going to sell them presume openvix would do?

dlmlus
23-09-18, 13:35
Buy Octagon at your peril, As an owner of the SF4008 i am allowed to state this.

I personally would never touch another Octagon product ever again, Ask any one on this board
Who has had reason to contact this manufacturer and they will explain why.

ccs
23-09-18, 13:54
Buy Octagon at your peril, As an owner of the SF4008 i am allowed to state this.

I personally would never touch another Octagon product ever again, Ask any one on this board
Who has had reason to contact this manufacturer and they will explain why.There's only one other poster I can think of.

Andy_Hazza
23-09-18, 13:54

Different team responsible for drivers etc so hopefully, fingers x’d better than previous experience.

twol
23-09-18, 14:57

You could say this about most Brands at some stage (even Vu+ and GigaBlue where the air was “blue“ for some time) but they in general learned from past mistakes.
With Octagon and the SF4008, I would freely admit the results didn‘t match promises, but so far the SF8008 delivery has been excellent, with very fast turn around on fixing issues..... so I will test it without any historical hang ups, just like with my Giga4K‘s.

Huevos
23-09-18, 21:25
Buy Octagon at your peril, As an owner of the SF4008 i am allowed to state this.What problems have you had? No problems with mine.

linsladeboy
25-09-18, 09:43
We will have them in stock hopefully during next week.

I suppose it's a bit early to ask if Octagon are likely to issue a twin satellite tuner version?

twol
25-09-18, 13:56
I suppose it's a bit early to ask if Octagon are likely to issue a twin satellite tuner version?

From comments on other forums - No!
There is a model apparently for non-European markets thats has only 1 sat tuner

linsladeboy
25-09-18, 17:08
Ok, thanks twol for update.
Seems a bit strange, wouldn't a twin satellite tuner unit be more popular than this particular standard hybrid model?

twol
25-09-18, 17:41
Ok, thanks twol for update.
Seems a bit strange, wouldn't a twin satellite tuner unit be more popular than this particular standard hybrid model?
Cost -> hence spec, aimed at specific market ... and from the number of hiSilicon models with similar specs hitting the market - they obviously expect this to be profitable.

Sicilian
26-09-18, 06:30
If wos are going to sell them presume openvix would do?

Yes there will be an OpenViX image, waiting for sample to test image that has already been built.

twol
29-09-18, 13:44
The SF8008 is kind of small!
Here is a pic of the SF8008 on top of a HD51
2/3rd width, 2/3rd depth

Sicilian
29-09-18, 15:07
Looking forward to getting mine this week [emoji3]

Andy_Hazza
29-09-18, 20:02
Me too.... hopefully. [emoji4]

Sicilian
02-10-18, 15:13
Another demo video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oXT4QGo6Og

Andy_Hazza
02-10-18, 16:28
Another demo video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oXT4QGo6Og

What skin is that in the video? I know its OpenATV image, but the skin looks wicked. Just wondered if we had it in our feeds. [emoji4]
Box looks cool, hope it delivers.

TK4|2|1
02-10-18, 17:03
What skin is that in the video? I know its OpenATV image, but the skin looks wicked. Just wondered if we had it in our feeds. [emoji4]
Box looks cool, hope it delivers.

Metrix, not sure if it’s in vix feeds though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sicilian
02-10-18, 17:26
Testing OpenViX dev image at the moment, this is a proper nice fast box. Kodi is well fast, just like on a decent android box.

Sicilian
02-10-18, 17:48
Kodi starts faster on this box than many Android devices.

irfyd
03-10-18, 17:04
Kodi starts faster on this box than many Android devices.

Flashed with latest openatv I'm pretty used to openvix for simplicity. I can not find the autoboquet maker settings. I'm trying get cable and sat folders. I tried autoboquet plugin but it's not the same one I see on openvix. Looking for the page where I select my area for cable and sat.

I could really do with openvix image. Also I have stalker installed. I've been given a url with port and user name password.
This was for telnet use. Can the info I have be used in stalker?

dsayers
03-10-18, 17:45
For AutoBouquetsMaker download from plugins, system plugins.

For stalker plugin it's Mac address based so you would need to give Mac address to provider. Or just use e2m3u2bouquet.

This box is looking nice.

irfyd
03-10-18, 18:17
Thanks I found it was looking in wrong folder. Now It doesn't seem to tune. I keep getting "Failed to tune Virgin (UK) on tuner B Please check the following : The tuner is correctly configured. You can receive the specified frequency"

:( I hope I haven't got a duff box. My psu came broken 1 rubber foot missing. Damnnn

Sicilian
03-10-18, 19:00
Now It doesn't seem to tune. I keep getting "Failed to tune Virgin (UK) on tuner B Please check the following : The tuner is correctly configured. You can receive the specified frequency"

:( I hope I haven't got a duff box.

Might be a possible driver bug with DVB-C, speaking with Octagon now.

Not a duff box.

Octagon-Germany
03-10-18, 19:11
Thanks I found it was looking in wrong folder. Now It doesn't seem to tune. I keep getting "Failed to tune Virgin (UK) on tuner B Please check the following : The tuner is correctly configured. You can receive the specified frequency"

:( I hope I haven't got a duff box. My psu came broken 1 rubber foot missing. Damnnn

i am using dvb-c unitymedia & Kabel bw here on sf8008 octagon. No problem with defualt scan auto and also cablescan mode.
UK setup i dont know ( sorry

irfyd
03-10-18, 19:22
Might be a possible driver bug with DVB-C, speaking with Octagon now.

Not a duff box.

Thanks bud are you getting same bug? hows openvix with box. Any chance I could try your openvix build pls.

If it is driver bug or firm issue hope its sorted soon.

ccs
03-10-18, 19:24
….. tbf, it's day one of a brand new box, there are bound to be some issues.

Octagon-Germany
03-10-18, 19:26
Thanks bud are you getting same bug? hows openvix with box. Any chance I could try your openvix build pls.

did you try with OpenATV 6.2 Image ?

Octagon-Germany
03-10-18, 19:27
right now i tested dvbc again and make fresh channel scan on openatv 6.2 image with cable provider Uniytmedia & Kabel BW

here some photos

irfyd
03-10-18, 19:28
did you try with OpenATV 6.2 Image ?

yes latest nightly build openatv-6.2-sf8008-20181003_mmc.zip

Octagon-Germany
03-10-18, 19:34
yes latest nightly build openatv-6.2-sf8008-20181003_mmc.zip

can you post me your tuner config and cable scan menu photos please ?

dsayers
03-10-18, 19:34
Try automatic scan if that works possibly frequency issues if that's the case post in the ABM section.

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44783-Please-read-before-raising-ABM-support-questions

Andy_Hazza
03-10-18, 19:37

No release date for OpenViX image. You will have to be patient and wait like everybody else. [emoji4]

Octagon-Germany
03-10-18, 19:42
tunerconfig my cable provider and 2nd photo try for uK pls

irfyd
03-10-18, 20:32
tunerconfig my cable provider and 2nd photo try for uK pls

I have tried your way I have tried brute force I have tried different ways. Automatic scan didn't work also. Im using same cable wire I always use tested on solo4k no issues. I will try to add some pics in a bit. Sat scan works its just DVB-C. If you guys post the settings ill try them but im just doing the same way I do solo4k setup (Sat 28.2 + Virgin Leicester)

Octagon-Germany
03-10-18, 20:36
we will check soon, may can fix next week, because engineers in national holiday now.

Sicilian
03-10-18, 20:41
I have tried your way I have tried brute force I have tried different ways. Automatic scan didn't work also. Im using same cable wire I always use tested on solo4k no issues. I will try to add some pics in a bit. Sat scan works its just DVB-C. If you guys post the settings ill try them but im just doing the same way I do solo4k setup (Sat 28.2 + Virgin Leicester)

Issue is being looked at, only problem engineers are on national holiday to fix the issue.

grizzuk
03-10-18, 22:10
I'd try another area, I have an sf4008 and if I use the cable tuner I get a failed to tune if I use my area (west Yorkshire)
if I try Barnsley it works fine though, so have a try with other areas

irfyd
04-10-18, 00:37
we will check soon, may can fix next week, because engineers in national holiday now.

No worries ill wait also just wanted to point out with 28.2 FTA chans. Chan zap times are pretty slow....when chan does start there is big frame drop almost slow motion for few seconds then playback is ok. Gonna try using 8GB SDcard on back and 64GB USB on side.

irfyd
04-10-18, 00:37
I'd try another area, I have an sf4008 and if I use the cable tuner I get a failed to tune if I use my area (west Yorkshire)
if I try Barnsley it works fine though, so have a try with other areas

I tried a few diff areas still no luck

Sicilian
04-10-18, 06:12
No worries ill wait also just wanted to point out with 28.2 FTA chans. Chan zap times are pretty slow....when chan does start there is big frame drop almost slow motion for few seconds then playback is ok. Gonna try using 8GB SDcard on back and 64GB USB on side.

Zapping is fine here using Freesat and Freeview. Zapping from Freeview to Freesat is a little slower which is normal as its switching Terrestrial to Satellite, but zapping around Satellite channels is normal speed comparable to a VU+ Uno 4K SE and Ultimo 4K I have setup at home. Only issue I've found is with DVB-C which is going to be fixed by Octagon.

Sicilian
04-10-18, 06:39

Just reflashed last nights build of OpenATV in case I was missing something, yes notice now that you've pointed it. Zapping is actually fast, just first couple of seconds theres a little slow motion. Tbh I hadn't even noticed it before.

Octagon have just confirmed to me in Skype that this is normal for receivers that use Hisilicon CPU.

twol
04-10-18, 08:52
If you install the 8GB SDcard then you will get a multiboot setup .... that is the SDcard once initialised will be used to store images. The card has to be initialised on the OpenATV image by long pressing the power button, clicking on multiboot and then select Init.

Sicilian
04-10-18, 11:41
I've just tested another receiver that uses the same CPU, its has the same second or so slow motion on zapping. This was the Dinobot 4K+, the SF8008 much faster and smoother through the menus. In all honest never even noticed until reported here. Some other 4K broadcom models have slightly longer black screen in between zapping, so horses for courses imo. For me its replacing two boxes into one.

irfyd
04-10-18, 12:57
If you install the 8GB SDcard then you will get a multiboot setup .... that is the SDcard once initialised will be used to store images. The card has to be initialised on the OpenATV image by long pressing the power button, clicking on multiboot and then select Init.

Did notice the multiboot option after inserting sdcard may use in future. On the positive got kodi working and for the 1st time 4k stuff actually works proper. I could never get it to work on solo4k

danny121pt
04-10-18, 14:29
I believe multiboot is same as Mutant HD51, no need for sd cards as /boot has

Startup
Startup_1
Startup_2
Startup_3
Startup_4

On OpenATV just press

Blue - flash/online - yellow to change startup partition - then local to flash what zip onto that startup

By looks of it.

danny121pt
04-10-18, 14:31
Running fine for me on OpenATV 6.2 and PurE2.

I have used internal Kodi player on the zgemma h9t, but that was only 256mg flash and had run a script to mount a sd card as plugin.

I also hacked Mutant HD51 to play internally, but tluch and go as sometimes boots back to menu.

Pvr Client for iptv works in Kodi also

opkg install kodi-addons-meta

rikesh
04-10-18, 16:54
Anyone running Stalker on this box? I've set up clean with the latest OpenATV build but the app won't start - screen just stays as is and box appears unresponsive after clicking Stalker.

danny121pt
04-10-18, 16:57
Anyone running Stalker on this box? I've set up clean with the latest OpenATV build but the app won't start - screen just stays as is and box appears unresponsive after clicking Stalker.

Yes.

Menu - plugins - stalker setup - add your portal url.

Then add your mac with supplier.

Me personally on OpenATV I just just network mac to the mac of all mine starting with 00:1A:79 and all work fine, that way I don't have change mac on client areas and still access on every device I use.

rikesh
04-10-18, 17:27
Working now

irfyd
04-10-18, 17:31
Working now

How is it bud? stable

irfyd
04-10-18, 17:52
Yes.

Menu - plugins - stalker setup - add your portal url.

Then add your mac with supplier.

Me personally on OpenATV I just just network mac to the mac of all mine starting with 00:1A:79 and all work fine, that way I don't have change mac on client areas and still access on every device I use.

Do you give the provider Stalker MAC or Normal MAC? thanx in advance

rikesh
04-10-18, 17:55
Very stable.

Stalker has the same MAC address as the device itself.

twol
04-10-18, 18:46
I believe multiboot is same as Mutant HD51, no need for sd cards as /boot has

Startup
Startup_1
Startup_2
Startup_3
Startup_4

On OpenATV just press

Blue - flash/online - yellow to change startup partition - then local to flash what zip onto that startup

By looks of it.

Wrong......startup_1 is eMMC
Other Startups are on the sd card.... and currently only 2 slots.
Without sdcard, multiboot is not in menu options with ATV

iain66
05-10-18, 08:52
Hi all i received my box yesterday but havent set it up yet from what ive read here the sat tuner will be ok but the cable tuner wont work at the moment is that correct

Thnks

Sicilian
05-10-18, 08:54
Hi all i received my box yesterday but havent set it up yet from what ive read here the sat tuner will be ok but the cable tuner wont work at the moment is that correct

Thnks

Yes correct, awaiting a driver fix soon for DVB-C, Hybrid Tuner can be used for Terrestrial without issue straight away. Engineers back from national holiday next week.

danny121pt
05-10-18, 12:24
Wrong......startup_1 is eMMC
Other Startups are on the sd card.... and currently only 2 slots.
Without sdcard, multiboot is not in menu options with ATV

Yes, so it it so, I genuinely forgot I had sd card in from start, so always see it, until removed. ha

Octagon-Germany
05-10-18, 15:51
remark: dvb-c in germany tested 3 different operators as kabel bw unitymedia and kabeldeutschland . works well
dvb-c problem only with UK dvbc like virgin operator

Tunder
05-10-18, 22:27
Hello All
Regarding the tuners in this receiver, do you know if is possible to have 2 S2X tuners , we don't have use for the cable tuners here in the USA,
Please let me know.
Regards.
Tunder.

Andy_Hazza
05-10-18, 22:51
No its just gonna be 1x Satellite & 1x Cable/Terrestrial receiver.

iain66
06-10-18, 13:31
Anyone have problems with this box moving their dish put the same sttings in as I use on my edision box but wont move the dish

Octagon-Germany
06-10-18, 13:46
Anyone have problems with this box moving their dish put the same sttings in as I use on my edision box but wont move the dish

no problem here with moving positionier + 120cm dish

iain66
06-10-18, 13:50
ok well odd it works fine on 1 box but not the Octagon

iain66
06-10-18, 14:24
reflashed the box still no joy any idea when open vix will be out

twol
06-10-18, 15:30
reflashed the box still no joy any idea when open vix will be out

Not long!! Just checking out multiboot code on all my boxes

danny121pt
06-10-18, 16:02
Can someone please send me the Non release (dev image) OpenVix image for SF8008 to have a play with and try? please

In middle of compiling it on Ubuntu, but be quicker if someone can send, or it may fail yet lol.

Andy_Hazza
06-10-18, 16:22
Can someone please send me the Non release (dev image) OpenVix image for SF8008 to have a play with and try? please

In middle of compiling it on Ubuntu, but be quicker if someone can send, or it may fail yet lol.

Nope, wait like everybody else.

danny121pt
06-10-18, 16:36
Nope, wait like everybody else.

Ok no worries, will build it.

Sicilian
06-10-18, 16:58

Post a screenshot of your tuner settings, what motor do you have? How are you trying to move the motor?

iain66
06-10-18, 17:12
will post screen shot asap not sure what make motor is its been up years and was trying to use usals to move it

iain66
06-10-18, 17:27

hopefully pic od tuner set up

Sicilian
06-10-18, 17:49
Can’t remember 100% and in front of a receiver. Away for the weekend. Shouldn’t your longitude and latitude be other way round? Can’t check or test myself until Monday.

iain66
06-10-18, 17:55
I just copied them over from my edision set up

Sicilian
06-10-18, 18:09
Properly are correct, memory blank here and not near a receiver. I’ll check couple of motors I have Monday. You don’t know the make / model of your motor?

iain66
06-10-18, 18:17
been up had a quick look it says cryptik on the motor

Sicilian
06-10-18, 18:18
Never heard of them. I’ll test with a Technomate and dark motor Monday.

iain66
06-10-18, 18:44
thank you it is old but it has always worked on any receiver ive had no problems

Sicilian
08-10-18, 08:50
I've just tested with a Technomate TM-2600 motor, no issues whatsoever.

I'd advise to USB re-flash latest OpenATV nightly build. DO NOT RESTORE ANY BACKUP SETTINGS, set up new.

Setup as per this thread: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?60120-How-to-easilly-setup-OpenATV-on-Octagon-SF8008

Setup a couple of providers in Autobouquetsmaker see if the motor moves and scan.

I also tested testing using Vhannibal Motor channel list available via online plugins under 'settings'.

I'm going to close this thread now, this was meant to be just for general discussion. Please open your own threads for any discussions or setup issues.

Sicilian
16-10-18, 06:39
OpenViX for the SF8008 release is in the process of being built. Will be released with build 5.2.002. If all goes to plan in the next 1-2 days.

Sicilian
24-10-18, 07:31

Motor issue fixed in new drivers:
https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core/commit/0fcbef7a0e6ec8dec49c6c9b223fa80b3a40b14c

Will be in next vix release build.