PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new box

rikesh
17-09-18, 07:30
Hi all,

Need a bit of advice on how best to replace / complement an ageing (but still working) Vu+ Duo.

I need a box which handles IPTV very well and optionally (but ideally) handles satellite. If not, then I can always keep the Vu+ running just for satellite.

Ideally the box would be designed for IPTV with self-updating portal software that can be managed remotely - i.e. not E2. Originally I was just going to get a MAG256, but then I noticed the drastically reduced range of options in the sponsor shop and realised this might be because the market has moved on.

Can anyone advise on the best box to meet those needs?

Many thanks in advance!

Andy_Hazza
17-09-18, 08:23
You could look at the Mut@nt HD51. A very fast satellite receiver which has the Stalker plugin for your IPTV needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twol
17-09-18, 09:38
As much as I agree about the HD51, whilst on holiday I have been using an ios app to watch via IPTV streams my fta favourites and have to say for stability it seems to be much better than Stalker.
Having said that, the HD51 does give you the alternative of embedded IPTV in the E2 bouquets or Stalker (which also has an EPG)

Andy_Hazza
17-09-18, 09:46
The GSE Smart IPTV is a wicked app for the iPhone/iPad etc.

Andy_Hazza
17-09-18, 09:48
Also to add the Suls plugin can be used on the HD51 as well. You could also look at the range of Formuler boxes specific for IPTV.

twol
17-09-18, 13:09
The GSE Smart IPTV is a wicked app for the iPhone/iPad etc.
110% agree! Thats what I am using!! .... and so easy to use.

rikesh
17-09-18, 23:00
Thanks all for the fantastic replies. It's why I keep coming to this forum :)

I have to be honest, although the app sounds great, in this case it will have to be a box.

So it looks like we have two contenders:

Mutant HD51 (£159)
- 2 x tuner (configurable)
- Enigma2
- IPTV: Stalker portal / E2 plugin
- Storage: SATA HDD / USB

Formuler S Turbo UHD (£115)
- 1 x S2 tuner
- Android
- IPTV: Built-in portal
- Storage: Micro SD / USB

Performance specs are broadly similar.

At the moment I'm leaning more towards the Formuler because I think it'll require less maintenance and it offers a slightly more integrated experience between satellite and IPTV. It'd be great to hear from anyone who has either of these boxes though to tell me if that's a reasonable assumption or not?

Cheers

danlou
18-09-18, 13:58
Thanks all for the fantastic replies. It's why I keep coming to this forum :)

I have to be honest, although the app sounds great, in this case it will have to be a box.

So it looks like we have two contenders:

Mutant HD51 (£159)
- 2 x tuner (configurable)
- Enigma2
- IPTV: Stalker portal / E2 plugin
- Storage: SATA HDD / USB

Formuler S Turbo UHD (£115)
- 1 x S2 tuner
- Android
- IPTV: Built-in portal
- Storage: Micro SD / USB

Performance specs are broadly similar.

At the moment I'm leaning more towards the Formuler because I think it'll require less maintenance and it offers a slightly more integrated experience between satellite and IPTV. It'd be great to hear from anyone who has either of these boxes though to tell me if that's a reasonable assumption or not?

Cheers

I would opt for the Mutant especially if it's going to be used for satellite more than the Formuler. I recently sold the Formuler because the satellite configuration and channel management was cumbersome as it isn't openvix base so you won't get AutoboquetsMaker.
As an iptv delivery box it's fine but then again so is an amazon firestick at only £30 compared to £115 for the formuler.

bluepassat
18-09-18, 16:13
i would go for the Mutant HD51 also..... i have 3 xtrend boxes and run openvix and IPTV fine just, i use sly skin and run satellite and IPTV bouquets

hope it helps

rikesh
18-09-18, 17:55
OK but that is essentially the same as my existing setup (Vu+ Duo) but with better hardware, right? Or are there any software benefits with the Mutant?

Andy_Hazza
18-09-18, 18:07
OK but that is essentially the same as my existing setup (Vu+ Duo) but with better hardware, right? Or are there any software benefits with the Mutant?

I think you’ve made your mind up, go with the easy option, get a formuler (IPTV specific receiver), at least you know what you are getting then. [emoji4]

rikesh
18-09-18, 18:26
I think you’ve made your mind up, go with the easy option, get a formuler (IPTV specific receiver), at least you know what you are getting then. [emoji4]

Lol I promise I haven't, I am happy to be convinced either way. If anything, I have no idea what I'm getting with the Formuler. If the satellite configuration is cumbersome (as stated above), it doesn't meet my needs either.

I guess the real question is - will the Mutant deliver strong IPTV performance or am I better off buying a MAG and running it with the Vu+ in parallel?

Cheers

Andy_Hazza
18-09-18, 19:14
Lol I promise I haven't, I am happy to be convinced either way. If anything, I have no idea what I'm getting with the Formuler. If the satellite configuration is cumbersome (as stated above), it doesn't meet my needs either.

I guess the real question is - will the Mutant deliver strong IPTV performance or am I better off buying a MAG and running it with the Vu+ in parallel?

Cheers

Do you have an Apple TV at all? Only reason I ask, is if so, you could try the GSE Smart IPTV Pro app on it and that might be suffice for you?
I prefer e2 boxes, but I have friends who swear by MAG boxes for their IPTV needs.

JonMMM
18-09-18, 19:22
The Formuler remote conflicts with Enigma2 remotes, it also tries to configure itself as a gamepad in Kodi.

I am not really sure its fit for purpose and am considering sending mine back

Andy_Hazza
18-09-18, 19:27
Won’t conflict with the Vu+ receiver as he can change to different frequencies quite easily.

JonMMM
18-09-18, 19:33
The Kodi issue will still be there, seems to me that they have merged codes that are normally used for sat receivers game pads and android boxs, it seems to be a bit of a mess.

It also has really big problems with Netfix - I have been experiencing those myself, and apparently has the same with amazon prime video, that one I have not tried.

Their own IPTV ap is great but not sure that its worth it for a crippled android box

Andy_Hazza
18-09-18, 19:44
The Kodi issue will still be there, seems to me that they have merged codes that are normally used for sat receivers game pads and android boxs, it seems to be a bit of a mess.

It also has really big problems with Netfix - I have been experiencing those myself, and apparently has the same with amazon prime video, that one I have not tried.

Their own IPTV ap is great but not sure that its worth it for a crippled android box

Any new updates? Are they frequently updated with bugs ironed out? Do they do beta releases you can try out? Seems a shame if the IPTV experience is good for you. [emoji20]

JonMMM
18-09-18, 19:57
Need to decide soon for sending it back, the netfix and kodi issues for me are huge, and just waiting for an update that may or may not happen seems a waste of £100 when a £50 andriod box does better on everything but the MyOnlineTV ap

danlou
19-09-18, 00:45
Seriously , if you want to use satellite on formuler box then be prepared for manual and time-consuming overhead in ensuring your channel list is up-to-date.

I applaud the fact that you have android and satellite from one box but the satellite component will not be acceptable, especially if you're coming from an E2 box.

My advice would be have a satellite box and still run IPTV via suls plugin. You have a nice looking EPG and it sits comfortably side-by-side with the satellite channels.

I would then download GSE, IPTV SMARTERS etc. on an android device or even smartiptv on a smart TV and use that as a secondary source for IPTV delivery .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sicilian
19-09-18, 08:33
The Formuler remote conflicts with Enigma2 remotes, it also tries to configure itself as a gamepad in Kodi.

You have to go into Kodi settings and set up buttons/remote. Many Android devices have the same issue with latest Kodi. From memory back buttons also needs mapping in Kodi.

rikesh
19-09-18, 09:39
Seriously , if you want to use satellite on formuler box then be prepared for manual and time-consuming overhead in ensuring your channel list is up-to-date.

I applaud the fact that you have android and satellite from one box but the satellite component will not be acceptable, especially if you're coming from an E2 box.

My advice would be have a satellite box and still run IPTV via suls plugin. You have a nice looking EPG and it sits comfortably side-by-side with the satellite channels.

I would then download GSE, IPTV SMARTERS etc. on an android device or even smartiptv on a smart TV and use that as a secondary source for IPTV delivery .

Ok so now the question - is the Mutant HD51 the best E2 box going at the moment? Or at least, is it a good fast box which will last for a while?

twol
19-09-18, 10:20
Probably the best well-tried, well-supported non FBC tuner receiver..... mine gets treated pretty harshly but has never missed a beat.
Its a no thrills solid receiver that does what it says on the tin!

danlou
19-09-18, 10:42
Ok so now the question - is the Mutant HD51 the best E2 box going at the moment? Or at least, is it a good fast box which will last for a while?Now that is a subjective question.

Everyone has an option on box. The mutant is a solid performer , fast and ticks the majority of the boxes.

Is it a nice looking box ? In my opinion, definitely not. But then again you're looking at a far lower price than an equivalent VU+ box.

There are other cheaper priced E2 4K boxes but you will not find support or recommendations on this forum .
But the Mutant hd51 was one of the first 4k boxes to hit the market about 2 years ago and it still holds up well so that is saying something.

JonMMM
20-09-18, 15:28
You have to go into Kodi settings and set up buttons/remote. Many Android devices have the same issue with latest Kodi. From memory back buttons also needs mapping in Kodi.

I tried that, but it keeps saying that a new gamepad has been attached and wants me to setup a game pad not a remote

rikesh
23-09-18, 21:27
I reckon I'll keep the Vu+ Duo going for satellite and run a MAG separately for IPTV. Probably the MAG 351 as now the 256 seems to have been discontinued, the 351 is the only one with decent RAM / specs.

Thanks for all your advice on this thread - much appreciated.

Andy_Hazza
23-09-18, 22:07
Look at the new Octagon SF8008.

rikesh
23-09-18, 22:35
That Octagon looks excellent. Can't believe I didn't spot that before! Anyone had any pre-release experience with it?

twol
24-09-18, 08:11
The initial images are still in final testing, so a bit early to comment other than the Octagon develops respond well to issues so far.

rikesh
24-09-18, 08:16
Ok I think I'll give it a shot. I'm at the checkout stage and I'm getting the following shipping options:

Choose Shipping Method:

DPD Next Working Day - Order before 3pm
£5.99

UK Mail Next Working Day - Order before 3pm
£4.99

DPD Saturday Delivery - Order before 3pm Friday
£11.24

UK Mail Saturday Delivery - Order before 3pm Friday
£9.02
Customer collection from our warehouse in Hoddesdon, Herts

Collection from our warehouse in Hoddesdon, Herts - Collection orders must be paid on collection. We accept credit and debit cards on collection.
£0.00

Where's the free UK delivery option? Can the sponsor please have a look and get back to me?

Cheers

world-of-satellite.co.uk
25-09-18, 14:20
Ok I think I'll give it a shot. I'm at the checkout stage and I'm getting the following shipping options:

Choose Shipping Method:

DPD Next Working Day - Order before 3pm
£5.99

UK Mail Next Working Day - Order before 3pm
£4.99

DPD Saturday Delivery - Order before 3pm Friday
£11.24

UK Mail Saturday Delivery - Order before 3pm Friday
£9.02
Customer collection from our warehouse in Hoddesdon, Herts

Collection from our warehouse in Hoddesdon, Herts - Collection orders must be paid on collection. We accept credit and debit cards on collection.
£0.00

Where's the free UK delivery option? Can the sponsor please have a look and get back to me?

Cheers

Sorry we're not able to offer shipping on this item, its a new product and our margins are very tight.