PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] Unable to initialise and mount 2nd HDD

bartjunited
08-08-18, 15:20
I have a Solo SE 2 , i am trying to set up a new HDD which will eventually replace the existing HDD that is connected
Therefore I am trying to initialise and mount it as hdd2 so that I can then move content between the 2 and then remove the original one

thus far I have put the new hdd in a caddy , connected it to a laptop to initialise it in the laptop and formatted as NTFS (priort to this the solo would not even see the new hdd)

when i connect this to the Solo SE it now sees the device in mount manager

how do i initialise it so I can mount it? I believe this needs to be done so that its formatted in ext 4?

when i try to mount it as is the box crashes

help please and also advise if what i have suggested is the best method to transfer content between the 2 hdds

TIA Bart

cactikid
08-08-18, 15:44
My thinking laptop may not set it up correctly?,Is the hdd usb or externally powered?
As with adding adding any storage device insert/remove when box is powered off only then power on and go to storage devices does it see both?

bartjunited
08-08-18, 15:45
Hdd is usb powered and I turned off the box before inserting

Mount manager does see it as external storage but oddly it appears twice in there

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ccs
08-08-18, 15:50
usb powered caddy might not work - it depends on the power rating of the caddy + hdd.

cactikid
08-08-18, 15:51
I never use passport by usb only as i have 2 here and dont work,others have used a powered usb hub and worked>
Are both your Hdds a different make or size that you know the difference?

bartjunited
08-08-18, 15:51
I have been using a usb powered caddy for many years with the existing hdd

bartjunited
08-08-18, 15:53
I never use passport by usb only as i have 2 here and dont work,others have used a powered usb hub and worked>
Are both your Hdds a different make or size that you know the difference?Yup diff size and make

cactikid
08-08-18, 15:54
Time to upgrade to a working one as i have 2tb toshiba desktop hds on a number of boxes,some people it works and others not.

ok so you can see the new one and click on it can you initialize it then check if its ext3-ext4 in mounts?

bartjunited
08-08-18, 15:57
Huh this is a brand new 1tb 2.5 inch sata drive, nothing wrong with it. Just needs to be initialised so that i can mount it and it's currently in ntfs format

cactikid
08-08-18, 16:00
Always start with fat 32,then setup with box settings

bartjunited
08-08-18, 16:02
Are you saying to reformat it on the laptop to fat 32 and then connect it back to the box?

If I'm gonna reformat shouldn't I just format to ext4?

And where is the initialisation option in the vix image?

cactikid
08-08-18, 16:05
Most usb or hdd come as fat 32 do they not?,storage device should see it then when its seen go from there,initialize and ext 3- ext4.
IT will stay connected to box and NOT removed.

bartjunited
08-08-18, 16:15
The HDD was not initialised so I had to do that in then laptop and format it at teh same time.

Where in vix do you initialise the device or is this done when you mount it?

twol
08-08-18, 16:21
And where is the initialisation option in the vix image?

Main Menu/Setup/Storage/Initialize Devices

If you have a Linux system you can initialise on that as I have had many(all??) HDD's delivered unformatted.

cactikid
08-08-18, 16:26
Storage devices should see your new hdd
No start with fat 32 format.On box it might ask you to format the hdd { recheck correct one ticked/listed } yes
Initialize -Yes
ext 3 - ext 4 can be checked in your mounts,as i have a usb and internal both say ext4

cactikid
08-08-18, 16:28

If you have a Linux system you can initialise on that as I have had many(all??) HDD's delivered unformatted.

Have you heard of setting them up from pc m8 thinking it maybe different?

bartjunited
08-08-18, 16:28

If you have a Linux system you can initialise on that as I have had many(all??) HDD's delivered unformatted.Thanks exactly what I was after.

And yes hdd came unformatted too

When I mount it should I mount it as hdd2 as the 1st device is mounted as hdd?

And is it ok to move the content between the 2 hdds via the solo?

twol
08-08-18, 17:26
I would use filezilla to move things around ... just more control even if it means copying to PC 1st.
Ref hdd2 , see what comes up in mount manager (setup/Vix) .. last in list so use up key!