PDA

View Full Version : Ultimo4K Display Issues

spevs
18-07-18, 21:25
Recently purchased Ultimo 4K, running OpenViX 5.1.030 (2018-06-25), also tried 5.1.031 but same problem, display output is set to 2160p - 50hz, as you can see from the screen photo I am getting a strange pixelation. This develops after approx 45 mins of viewing the same source, if I select Menu and then exit back to the programme pixelation goes but comes back in 5 mins or so, if I change channel pixelation problem goes away but comes back in 5 or so mins. I have reflashed the box & same issue occurs. Tried different HDMI leads and problem is the same. My TV is a Samsung UE40MU6400 and any changes in the TV display settings make no difference to the problem, neither does moving the HDMI lead into different inputs.

Anyone have any ideas.........................Spevs............... .:confused:57103

cactikid
18-07-18, 21:28
I might be talking crap but are special hdmi cables needed for 4k content?

spevs
18-07-18, 21:32
I am using a HDMI 2.0b 2160p 4k UHD TV Braided High Speed Cable Lead Gold 2m

cactikid
18-07-18, 21:37
That sounds ok as its says High speed.

spevs
19-07-18, 09:47
I really don't think it is the HDMI cable, I am wondering if I have a hardware issue on the new box.

Andy_Hazza
19-07-18, 10:08
Channel pixelation problems, to me anyhow points to a signal issue, I would look at the cabling from either A/ If cable/virgin etc or B/ if Satellite etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spevs
19-07-18, 12:10
If I use my old Solo2 instead of the new Ultimo with all the same cabling inputs etc I get no issues, when I 1st had the Ultimo this problem did not seem to be there and started after about a week. Why do you think it takes about 45 min to 1 hour to show itself and if I selct Menu or switch channels it goes temporarily.

twol
19-07-18, 14:12
If I use my old Solo2 instead of the new Ultimo with all the same cabling inputs etc I get no issues, when I 1st had the Ultimo this problem did not seem to be there and started after about a week. Why do you think it takes about 45 min to 1 hour to show itself and if I selct Menu or switch channels it goes temporarily.

Well one is a 1080P receiver and one is a 4K receiver...... I agree with Andy but if you are running in 4K mode then you cannot rule out the TV

Have you tried 1080P??? Do you get the same issue?
I would also turn off ALL the Samsung tweaks like motion control etc and see what happens.

spevs
19-07-18, 17:44
I will try the Ultimo in 1080p, but I don't see that it is a signal issue, because if I use BBC Iplayer in 4K I dont get the problem, nor do I get the problem if I play 4K material from a pen drive on the TV, also if play a HD recording of say the World Cup Final on the BBC the lines of pixels appears after about 45 mins, however, if I fast forward the recording to say 30 mins into the game the pixelation appars again after 45 mins but the game is at 75 mins and not 45 mins which suggests to me it is not the signal but a problem with the graphics output in 4K mode on the Ultimo.

Andy_Hazza
19-07-18, 18:34
So that to me points to your dish/cabling/f-connectors etc. I would disable one tuner and test, then enable and disable the other tuner etc and test and see what results you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccs
19-07-18, 18:46
So that to me points to your dish/cabling/f-connectors etc. I would disable one tuner and test, then enable and disable the other tuner etc and test and see what results you get.

If it happens on a recording, at different times depending on when you start playback, then surely the dish/cabling etc has nothing to do with the problem.

spevs
19-07-18, 18:50
That's exactly why I believe the issue is with the Ultimo Video Out

twol
19-07-18, 19:14
I will try the Ultimo in 1080p, but I don't see that it is a signal issue, because if I use BBC Iplayer in 4K I dont get the problem, nor do I get the problem if I play 4K material from a pen drive on the TV, also if play a HD recording of say the World Cup Final on the BBC the lines of pixels appears after about 45 mins, however, if I fast forward the recording to say 30 mins into the game the pixelation appars again after 45 mins but the game is at 75 mins and not 45 mins which suggests to me it is not the signal but a problem with the graphics output in 4K mode on the Ultimo.

You are comparing Apples, Pears and Oranges.
Just because they say 4K doesn’t mean they are sending the same 4K content to the TV.
You cannot say its down to the Vu+ just because thats when the issue started because before then you were driving the TV in 1080p.
Don‘t jumpt to conclusions and try some of the suggestions 1st.

Ev0
20-07-18, 17:36
Also check you are not trying to push a format your tv does not deal with (8bit, 10bit, 12bit, hdmi-colordepth) and Colourspace (YCbCr444, 420, 222, RGB).

You will need to check the specs of your tv to findout what panel it has, if you are pushing 12bit colourdepth to an 8bit panel for example then you are sure to have issues.

twol
20-07-18, 19:37
Also check you are not trying to push a format your tv does not deal with (8bit, 10bit, 12bit, hdmi-colordepth) and Colourspace (YCbCr444, 420, 222, RGB).

You will need to check the specs of your tv to findout what panel it has, if you are pushing 12bit colourdepth to an 8bit panel for example then you are sure to have issues.
Absolutely correct, unfortunately the marketing departments of outfits like Samsung are not very good at explaining any limitations, they just want the „customers“ money.

spevs
24-07-18, 08:50
Thanks Guys, I can't find out exactly what formats my TV will handle, so I have emailed Samsung Support asking the question, will let you know what they say...……...Spevs

spevs
25-07-18, 08:28
Reply from Samsung Support

In regard to your query, your TV has an 8-bit panel. Hence, it can only accept a maximum 'Colour Depth' of 8-bit from HDMI external devices. Though, your TV can support RGB 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2 and YCbCr 4:2:0 in an 8-bit 'Colour Depth' once 'HDMI UHD Color' is set to 'On'. Go to Settings > Picture > Expert Settings > HDMI UHD Color.

A bit more testing to do now............Spevs

spevs
07-08-18, 22:03
Well, after hours of testing, due to the intermittent nature of the problem and so many things to change, I appear to be going round and round in circles, so I have given up on my Ultimo 4K. One last thing, if there are any other Ultimo 4K users looking at this, the temperature of the CPU on my 4K was generally in the 60+ degree area, I see from the WOS spec sheet for the 4k ambient temp range should be in the region of 15 - 35 degree's. I have two Solo2's which generally run around 40 degree's but as these are not an AMD chip, I would be interested to know what other Ultimo 4K users boxes are running at..................Spevs

Ev0
07-08-18, 22:05
Well, after hours of testing, due to the intermittent nature of the problem and so many things to change, I appear to be going round and round in circles so, I have given up on my Ultimo 4K. One last thing, if there are any other Ultimo 4K users looking at this, the temperature of the CPU on my 4K was generally in the 60+ degree area, I see from the WOS spec sheet for the 4k ambient temp range should be in the region of 15 - 35 degree's. I have two Solo2's which generally run around 40 degree's but as these are not an AMD chip, I would be interested to know what other Ultimo 4K users boxes are running at..................Spevs

Mine is usually between 65 and 71°c

spevs
07-08-18, 22:08
Thanks, that's about where mine was running, so I can put the overheating theory to bed as well........Spevs

Ev0
07-08-18, 22:12
Well the next step is to try your Ultimo4K on another 4K tv (ideally a different model to your tv).

Not easy I know, but atleast then you can confirm if your Ultimo4K is causing the issue or not.

Another option is to try your box in 1080p mode and see if you get the same problem, although this won't fully rule out an issue with your tv or the ultimo4k.