PDA

View Full Version : New Receiver

pjhpjh79
17-07-18, 14:22
Hi All,

New Member here.

I've been using "Zgemma" boxes for a while and now think its time I moved onto a proper box.
I unsure whether to go for the VU+ Duo2 or VU+ Solo 4K. I like the fact the Duo2 has built in Wifi as where my box is I can't get an Ethernet Cable to it. However the Solo 4K box seems to be the better box but without Wifi Built in. And I like the fact its 4K, so wouldn't have to upgrade it later on for 4K content.
Would I be best going for the Duo2 or Solo 4K (With a Wifi dongle)? Or is there a better box around the same cost? Sub £300.

Does Built in Wifi differ from using a Wifi Dongle? If not, then it may open up the list of boxes I can choose from.

Cheers for any help.

pjhpjh79
17-07-18, 14:48
Forgot to mention, I will be using the box for Freesat, IPTV and Kodi (If Possible).

linsladeboy
17-07-18, 15:13
I've got a VU+ ZERO 4K with a Panasonic 4K TV and am pretty impressed with 1080 upscale quality.
There are more unicorns to view in the sky than there are 4K channels for now which is a bit of a shame. Watched a few world cup matches on 4K via BBC IPLAYER, stunning quality even though there is quite a long time lag due to picture being streamed.
I've got a seperate 4K Kodi box( I don't particularly like to mix satellite with iptv) and again upscaling of 1080 movies is pretty awesome, especially on new films.
There are some 4K movies on Kodi to stream but get terrible buffering most of the time even though I got 200mb broadband.

linsladeboy
17-07-18, 15:21
Forgot to say, tv, VU+ and Kodi box are all hardwired to router, so probably best if you are able to do the same especially as 4K streaming requires more bandwidth.

pjhpjh79
17-07-18, 15:27
Thanks Linsladeboy,
I'm not fussed for 4k at the moment, but it would be handy to have it on the box for the future.
Also I like the idea of the FBC Tuners which I can fully utilise once I swap my LNB.

I'd prefer to have my satellite and IPTV together, then I'm only using the 1 box. It needs to work seamlessly so my missus can use it.

I've been using the Ipab image for a while. Would this still be ok to use on either of these boxes, or is there a better Image to try that has a good Sly skin?

pjhpjh79
17-07-18, 15:28
Forgot to say, tv, VU+ and Kodi box are all hardwired to router, so probably best if you are able to do the same especially as 4K streaming requires more bandwidth.

I might be best trying to route a network cable to where I need it then.

linsladeboy
17-07-18, 16:43
Thanks Linsladeboy,
I'm not fussed for 4k at the moment, but it would be handy to have it on the box for the future.
Also I like the idea of the FBC Tuners which I can fully utilise once I swap my LNB.

I'd prefer to have my satellite and IPTV together, then I'm only using the 1 box. It needs to work seamlessly so my missus can use it.

I've been using the Ipab image for a while. Would this still be ok to use on either of these boxes, or is there a better Image to try that has a good Sly skin?

Hi mate,
Not familiar with Ipab image ,only ever used vix image but pretty sure you'll find a suitable skin in plugins section of forum.

Sicilian
17-07-18, 17:32
Both of the receivers you've mention a good receivers, regards IPAB you're better to learn and setup your own image.

pjhpjh79
17-07-18, 17:53
Both of the receivers you've mention a good receivers, regards IPAB you're better to learn and setup your own image.

Ok thanks for that. Still undecided on which one though.

Might try the vix image and see how i get on.

pjhpjh79
18-07-18, 10:44
I'm thinking more VU+ Solo 4K rather than the Duo2. Also been looking at 2 other boxes, so now narrowed it down to:

VU+ Solo 4K
Gigablue UHD UE 4K 2xDVB-S2
VU+ Uno 4K SE

There's so many to choose from. Has anyone had dealings with all of these 3 boxes? And can give an opinion on how each handles?

Andy_Hazza
18-07-18, 13:15
I'm thinking more VU+ Solo 4K rather than the Duo2. Also been looking at 2 other boxes, so now narrowed it down to:

VU+ Solo 4K
VU+ Uno 4K SE

There's so many to choose from. Has anyone had dealings with all of these 3 boxes? And can give an opinion on how each handles?

Also add a Mut@nt HD51 into the mix. A great receiver also. The Vu+ Uno 4K SE is a great receiver too. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjhpjh79
18-07-18, 14:18
Thanks Andy,

I did look at the Mut@nt HD51 but it doesn't have the FBC tuners, which I will be making use on in the next few months.

Sicilian
19-07-18, 06:16

VU+ Solo 4K
VU+ Uno 4K SE

You won't go wrong with any of those, but the Gigablue does not have a Kodi plugin.

pjhpjh79
19-07-18, 19:27
Thanks everyone for your input.

I decided to go for the Uno4Kse, which arrived today. Just in the process of setting it up and playing around with it.

malcolmp
20-07-18, 14:05
Thanks everyone for your input.

I decided to go for the Uno4Kse, which arrived today. Just in the process of setting it up and playing around with it.

Hi,
Following your post, I'm considering a new box and I would be interested in points you find with device. Do you get a satellite version?

pjhpjh79
20-07-18, 15:20
Hi,
Following your post, I'm considering a new box and I would be interested in points you find with device. Do you get a satellite version?

Hi Malcolmp,

Yes I got the Satellite Version.

So far so good, easy to setup and use. The RC is fast and zapping channels is quick too.

Had an issue getting the Picons working, but got it sorted in the end. Think I was putting them in wrong place.

Got to get IPTV sorted on it and then play around with other things.

malcolmp
20-07-18, 15:45
Sounds good!