PDA

View Full Version : Possble Damage

justaverage
30-05-18, 19:25
Hi there all!
Had just got everything up and running with this box when it stopped working after a lightning storm passed. The light on the front lights up but it doesn't boot and no signal from hdmi. Think it may have been fried by the lightning? Just wanted to ask, i assume this is not covered by warranty? Is there any point trying to repair it, who could even repair it if possible? Would i send it back to Tiviar?
Bad luck for me i guess!
Thanks for any help in advance,
John.

ronand
30-05-18, 19:30
Your house insurance may cover the damage but usually the excess charge would make this unfeasible - its depends on the policy.

cactikid
30-05-18, 20:21
I try to keep things safe by using these on all my setups as i dont take chances.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XMu4VttPcw

justaverage
31-05-18, 18:46
Thanks for the replies. Yeah a warning to anyone, lightning hit my dish, fried that, travelled down coax into two seperate rooms, fried two tiviar boxes, traveled up hdmi cables and fried both tvs! Expensive day!

Not sure what my insurance will cover. I presume repairing boxes even if possible would be more expensive than replacing? I'm definitely buying two coax surge protectors, thanks for the recommendation.

roybach
31-05-18, 19:25
Don't be fooled no surge protector is going to prevent damage caused by lightning, if you or your possesions suffer a lightning strike you are going to get mega damage. A good insurance policy will be more beneficial.

cactikid
31-05-18, 20:14
The monster ones say they do protect from lightning strikes,anything hit by lightning i would imagine is not fixable?

ronand
31-05-18, 20:25
Just ring the insurance company - as they are paying they will tell you how to proceed. Usually its replacement especially with lightning damage.