PDA

View Full Version : Read this Warning all ET-9000 Owners!

bassethound
26-01-11, 20:58
Read this Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The backup battery in the receiver should never be taken out. The receiver will lose its memory and the receiver must be reprogrammed by the chip manufacturer. It takes up to 4 weeks and be paid for!!!!!!!!!!!!

you have been Warned

Achtung !
Die Stützbatterie im Receiver darf niemals herausgenommen werden. Der Receiver verliert sonst sein Gedächtnis und der Receiver muss vom Chiphersteller neu programmiert werden. Das dauert bis zu 4 Wochen und muss bezahlt werden !

Attenzione!
la batteria della scheda madre del ricevitore non dovrebbe mai essere tolta poichè c'è il rischio che i dati del bios della scheda madre vadano persi. In tal caso questa dovrà essere riprogrammata dal produttore con la conseguenza che ci vorrebbero almeno 4 settimane di tempo e bisognerebbe pure pagare!

pooface
26-01-11, 23:27
Hmmm, so what happens then if the battery dies, which it will do at some point?! Unless it's a rechargeable of some kind... But, leave unplugged for long enough, and could die?!

Larry-G
26-01-11, 23:30
Hmmm, so what happens then if the battery dies, which it will do at some point?! Unless it's a rechargeable of some kind... But, leave unplugged for long enough, and could die?!

funnily enough i was wondering the exact same thing. seems kinda like a built in expiry date to me.

pooface
26-01-11, 23:39
funnily enough i was wondering the exact same thing. seems kinda like a built in expiry date to me.

Also a little contradictory to the whole:

8MB Separate boat storage (bootloader can not be damaged!)

Donnie
27-01-11, 09:34
I can confirm that I know someone who has done this and the box is now useless.
Shame he did not know this when he got the box.

pooface
27-01-11, 10:16
I can confirm that I know someone who has done this and the box is now useless.
Shame he did not know this when he got the box.

This whole thread though, makes me more intrigued as to where the battery backup is, lol. And how easy it is to remove... However, I think there should still have been a warning sticker or something surrounding the area to stop prying eyes looking in to it ;)

Hopefully all users will see this warning, and not attempt it ;)

Sicilian
27-01-11, 11:35
I've been in contact with Clarke-Tech about this thread, Below is their reply: -

No users have to worry! What matters now is that nobody has the idea to take out the battery !

The board with the battery is with the Main Board "married" and it is used for Clone protection. In the future there will be a solution, to change the battery! That means if necessary in 5-7 years!
PS: The life of a backup battery is of course depending on the current consumption but that is in the case lower, as in a remote or a motherboard! Thus, the life is much more longer !

Likvid
28-01-11, 17:22
This is a disaster design, how can they reply that stupid?

Necessary in 5-7 years? so they sell a receiver that is useless after 5-7 years and need to be sent in? what a joke.

pooface
28-01-11, 18:08
This is a disaster design, how can they reply that stupid?

Necessary in 5-7 years? so they sell a receiver that is useless after 5-7 years and need to be sent in? what a joke.

Re-read the post:

"In the future there will be a solution, to change the battery! That means if necessary in 5-7 years!"

Yes, bit of a rubbish design, but when that solution is done, then that'll be much better...

basilyoung
28-01-11, 20:29
I have a computer here, that has spent most of its time switched off, I rarely use it nowr days, it still has the orig battery, and thats still ok

although I would preferr it, that this method of protection was,nt used, I think its safe enough,

baz

silverfox0786
03-02-11, 11:46
this reminds me on the sega noami systems that needed sega to reprogramm the board when the batter was removed

now wit them its useless as sega dont reprogram these old boards any more

kaneguru
24-02-11, 15:21
Also a little contradictory to the whole:

8MB Separate boat storage (bootloader can not be damaged!)

this is a big lie from ClarkeTech.
This is what i don´t understand why the 1st clones are comming ,named Xtrend.

Sicilian
24-02-11, 15:24
this is a big lie from ClarkeTech.
This is what i don´t understand why the 1st clones are comming ,named Xtrend.

Why make a sweeping statement about something that you know nothing about??? The Xtrend is the exact same receiver branded differently and meant to be sold in certain countries only, they are not clones!

icewaere
24-02-11, 18:56
From Clarke-Tech Dev´s i know,

Xtrend was distribute by the guys who write the drivers for Clarke-Tech et9000.

I think they want to make money too ;)

No Clone!

greetz

kaneguru
24-02-11, 19:33
Why make a sweeping statement about something that you know nothing about??? The Xtrend is the exact same receiver branded differently and meant to be sold in certain countries only, they are not clones!

its not the same,Xtrens included BlindScan,ET9000 not.but same hardware!!

Sicilian
24-02-11, 19:45
its not the same,Xtrens included BlindScan,ET9000 not.but same hardware!!

:trustme:, they identical receivers.

Unless you've got any rocksolid evidence to state others please dont start rumours.

silverfox0786
24-02-11, 19:59
i can and have proof that xtrend is part of clarketech as i emailed them last week asking for an english manual and they sent me the new and improved xtrend version one

i even forwarded the email to bassethound to let him know a new english manual is available

bassethound
24-02-11, 20:30
xtrend is part of clarketech look at the pdf i have posted below

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?6530-User-Guide-Clarke-Tech-ET-9000-English-version-PDF

Donnie
24-02-11, 23:38
Blimey how do we get doubters these days, It is the same box FFS:D

How come no one questions when we buy a car from a different manufacturer with the same body but with a different badge ???:rolleyes:

It has been happening for over 10 years on no one raises and eyebrow.

It called economics and it is here to stay :p

silverfox0786
24-02-11, 23:44
mate this i dont understand either

look at makes like beko and bush TCM Onn etc they are all rebadges from major manufacturers

once apon atime are dear old alan sugar was using the AMSTRAD name as a rebadge from another manufacturer

Luar
09-03-11, 12:32

clarketech look the battery foto...

Sicilian
09-03-11, 12:39

clarketech look the battery foto...

Dont pull that battery out, Clarke-Tech will release a solution in the future.

MrKappa
20-03-11, 01:22
Let's wait for CT to provide a solution for this problem.
I suppose that currently, if somebody need to replace the battery (very rare case as the receiver is too new) could connect an external power supply with minimum voltage just before unplug the old battery. Maybe a temporary trick waiting for the final fix.

scorpy97
21-03-11, 16:33
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/745/adszsed.jpg

bassethound
21-03-11, 16:58
Please no one follow scorpy97 in removing your battery!!!!!!!!

silverfox0786
21-03-11, 17:47
http://img199.imageshack.us/i/adszsed.jpg

i almost had a heart attack when i saw that scorpy mate i feel sorry for u

MrKappa
21-03-11, 19:18
mmm....maybe a photo shop trick...

pooface
21-03-11, 19:20
skorpion, is that your box?

What's happened? Noticed that according to the vfd you're watching trt hd... Have you got a picture on screen? Have you powered off your box?

Looks like you might have to send a package off to clarke-tech ... :( :sofahide:

72li
07-04-11, 00:30
skorpion, is that your box?

What's happened? Noticed that according to the vfd you're watching trt hd... Have you got a picture on screen? Have you powered off your box?

Looks like you might have to send a package off to clarke-tech ... :( :sofahide:

still working on the device nothing happened. Turkish topics in the forum is being processed. Turks one friend,:thumbsup: he removed the battery out of curiosity:) and the device is still working no problems. then put back in place. device is still solid. undisclosed problem.:D:D

Why put the battery manufacturer do? wonder if a copy of the work on the clone? clone in order to prevent emergence, something made

Smiffy
11-06-11, 15:14
I was all for buying this box until I found this thread.

XTREND saying that they will fix it in the future seems like a 'damage mitigation plan' to me. It's not as if they are going to be able to fix this with a firmware upgrade is it?

All computer motherboards that have batteries are designed to allow you to replace them. Imagine how that would look in computer forums if Intel created a motherboard that was bricked as soon as you removed the battery. Do you think that everyone would accept this, even if they say 'do not worry it will be fixed in the future'? Just seems a bit...of a 'cop out'. If I invested over £350 on a sat box, one of the bigger ticks in the box would be built in 'future proofing'. To me at least, this flaw has removed that.

Unless I can be reassured otherwise, I will be getting something else or waiting until XTREND actually do a hardware fix.

killerbox
05-08-11, 22:21
there isnt any solution for this hard problem , yet ?

pooface
05-08-11, 23:57
there isnt any solution for this hard problem , yet ?

Yes ... do not take the battery out! tbh, how many people would take the battery out? Would you cross the road in front of a truck if you were told that doing so would kill you? No. So, why would you disconnect the battery? They've said that before the life of the battery is out (likely to be around 3 years minimum I would say), they will release a solution... So, wait until then. Don't mess around with it, and if there are genuinely any problems related to this without messing with the battery, we would've heard about it by now!

Rimmel
18-09-11, 14:26
They've said that before the life of the battery is out (likely to be around 3 years minimum I would say)

It's the same sort of bios battery that a normal PC uses. I have seen them last as long as 10 years but also as little as a year. The idea of the battery is to allow the saving of the settings on devices e.g the bios settings on a PC. I is not mean't to actually store and maintain the bios. The batteries in those little holders are designed with easy replacement in mind - so when the battery dies you can simply replace it and reset your bios settings. Having it actually maintain the chip information (bios) is frankly ridiculous.

I must also admit if I had known this I would have gone down the Vu Duo route rather than the CT9000

silverfox0786
18-09-11, 16:16
Mate the new trends have the battery glued in place with a hot melt glue gun so if yr stupid enough to physically scrape the glue off and remove he battery then you deserve the box to die on you

;)

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

parkher
19-09-11, 16:10
So, I take it, the new bootloader with UBIFS does not help at all here?
UBIFS does not keep indices in memory but rather on flash, but it is probably stupid to hope that those indices were kept by the battery previously..
Those indices are probably when flash memory device is mounted.

I think we heard here that this time bomb is already exploding - someone suddenly was not able to boot at all, black screen.
A faulty battery may last much shorter, or a (almost not) faulty circuit drawing more current, or a faulty contact may develop because of oxidation.

I am getting this box today, so not very pleasant thoughts.

bassethound
19-09-11, 16:34
You can always send it back under the distant selling act and get a refund and buy a different box if you are really worried about future problems see link and the The cooling-off period and cancellations

plus you do get a manufactures 12 months warranty

http://businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1073792574&type=RESOURCES

parkher
19-09-11, 19:14
Anyway, I already got Clarke Tech ET-9000 an hour ago, flashed the UBIFS bootloader and then the latest VIX image.
It is still working :)

So now I have both Vu+ Duo and ET-9000, updating my signature :)

Turns, out, I could have orderer either Xtrend or Clarke, both were available. As I did not specify this point, they brought Clarke to me.
Clarke was cheaper. Who knows, perhaps Xtrend already has a new hardware revision, like without that battery?

I just hope it will be hopelessly out-of-date and thrown away before it is dead because of that stupid battery.
I have no hope it will die before the warranty period ends.
And I have not much hope Xtrent or Clarke will provide a "software solution".

bassethound
19-09-11, 19:25
On the plus side the only people who have had problems with the battery so far are the ones who foolishly removed the battery :zoom:

basilyoung
19-09-11, 19:45
If you are that unhappy with the units design, why not simply return it in exchange for another unit?

silverfox0786
19-09-11, 20:10
If you are that unhappy with the units design, why not simply return it in exchange for another unit?

im offering £250 to anyone who wants to sell it

:roflmao:

Rimmel
19-09-11, 21:56
You can always send it back under the distant selling act and get a refund and buy a different box if you are really worried about future problems see link and the The cooling-off period and cancellations

plus you do get a manufactures 12 months warranty

http://businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1073792574&type=RESOURCES

Acually under european law it's 24 month warranty (something retailers don't like the public knowing).

silverfox0786
19-09-11, 21:58
UK is not bound by that

by law in the UK its 12 months and any more is manufacturer or retailer discretion

Stanman
19-09-11, 22:03
I think his confusing it with reasonable life span, as you can still get repairs done depending on price and when it goes faulty after the 12 months.

josweet
24-10-11, 02:04
I have given this a little thought & have a couple of *possible* untested solutions.
Both idea's would be needed to be undertaken by someone who has some knowledge on electronics so NOT to electrocute themselves, but tbh, if u dont know what your doing, you shouldn't be considering any of this anyway ;) I have left out the obvious as this isnt a tutorial, just a theory.

First idea>
It *might* be possible to change the cell if the unit is fully powered and in operation as the Bios should be at this point buffered into memory. After changing of the cell, the bufferd Bios *may* be then written back to the bios during the shutdown of the O/S

Second Idea>
Assuming the button cell within the unit is 3v, an SMD Trimming Pot could be soldered between positive side of the cell & the bios IC. A second SMD Trimming Pot connected to two AA 1.5v cells could then be placed onto the Positive side of Bios IC.
Using a multimetre to watch the voltage, u could reduce the first pots voltage whilst increasing the second pots voltage, thus transferring the necessary 3v to a temporary backup.
Once the backup cells are in place, the old 3v button cell can be removed safely & exchanged for new. A reverse of the proceedure above is all that is needed to finish off the cell exchange and bring your new cell online.
This maybe possible to do all from a single pot, but for explanational purposes i have chosen to use two pots.

NietGiftig
24-10-11, 09:32
Using a multimetre to watch the voltage, u could reduce the first pots voltage whilst increasing the second pots voltage, thus transferring the necessary 3v to a temporary backup.

That's not how electronics works. :confused:

Just put 3v parallel to the battery and replace the cell.

Rimmel
24-10-11, 14:40
UK is not bound by that

by law in the UK its 12 months and any more is manufacturer or retailer discretion

Not quite...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

pooface
24-10-11, 14:53
Not quite...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

Not fully read that, but from what I remember, you get a 12 month warranty in UK. If, it can be prooven that a defective part or material etc caused your product to fail within 24 months, then you would have a case. However, in this case, it has been stated that you would need to remove the battery itself for the item to become defective. If you do this, then you will be the person who caused the fault, and so it is your problem...

silverfox0786
24-10-11, 15:05
just a few keypoints from that the title to start with

A little-known EU directive is making shoppers feel like they have extra ammunition to return faulty goods for up to two years. It's not quite that simple. Read our guide to see if it can help you.

then the third paragraph

However, as this is a directive is only partially adopted by the UK, its use is a grey area.

bertros
11-11-11, 22:23
That's not how electronics works. :confused:

Just put 3v parallel to the battery and replace the cell.

Thats the way to do it .. ! Easy.. Swap every 3 years should never have any issues..

Johev
30-12-13, 15:28
Hi everybody, any solution to this annoying issue? I have the new Xtrend ET9200 with the glue, however it has been running for the past 3 years, so I was wondering when should I risk the replacement with the above mentioned method, or even better is there a software solution for this annoying issue?

Many thanks to all and happy holidays to everybody.

LameDuck
04-03-15, 12:37
Bought my ET9000 back in 2011 and never got around to using it. 4 years later I just plugged it in and it works fine. Pretty good battery then ;-)

asgharmetal
25-03-15, 16:48
i do remove the battery in the receiver
:mad:

asgharmetal
25-03-15, 16:53
If you remove the battery from the receiver what to do

Larry-G
25-03-15, 17:27
If you remove the battery from the receiver what to do

Nothing you can do, it will kill the receiver.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

josweet
23-06-16, 17:43
So 2016 now & no solution to this still i see.. Surprise surprise, xtrend fobbed us all off with B.S.. and we fell for it :confused:

My Extrend 9000 PSu failed this week (sat dead wouldnt boot) which was luckily an easy fix, this now makes me think it will down to us owners to also come up with a solution for the battery change.
Im changing my battery shortly before it dies & the box is dead. Ill connect an external 3v supply to the board & then change the cell, but this obviously isnt an ideal solution for Etrend owners.

twol
23-06-16, 19:06
Well the et9000 has certainly been around since 2010 which in todays world is pretty good going, and although I certainly think my old ET9200 was one of my best receivers, they are really old technology compared to todays boxes.
When I look in my loft at some of the latest greatest brands that are now,junk, the older Xtrend ET9x00 boxes have done pretty well :)

Sicilian
23-06-16, 20:30
So 2016 now & no solution to this still i see.. Surprise surprise, xtrend fobbed us all off with B.S.. and we fell for it :confused:

My Extrend 9000 PSu failed this week (sat dead wouldnt boot) which was luckily an easy fix, this now makes me think it will down to us owners to also come up with a solution for the battery change.
Im changing my battery shortly before it dies & the box is dead. Ill connect an external 3v supply to the board & then change the cell, but this obviously isnt an ideal solution for Etrend owners.

You could have bought a VU+ Duo and died from red light issue by now. Or Duo2 with white light issue, any other brand of receiver with some other failure.... its done damn well, 5-6 years old!

Rob van der Does
23-06-16, 20:44
Too bad if technology can only last so short :(
Pretty sure this is all premeditated, forcing to buy new stuff.
Good, dearly bought devices, full of rare materials: suddenly it's all waste.....

Sicilian
23-06-16, 20:47
I got a Panasonic plasma, cost approx £1200.00, just got to approx 6 years old and IR receiver on it is virtually stuffed. Not worth the repair bill to have it repaired, will be in the junk yard next.

twol
23-06-16, 20:56
Too bad if technology can only last so short :(
Pretty sure this is all premeditated, forcing to buy new stuff.
Good, dearly bought devices, full of rare materials: suddenly it's all waste.....

Well, no ...... There some well documented articles where companies like Apple are stripping out the rare elements. My wife runs a trade association for some of the mining and fabrication companies and they now work really hard to reclaim these metals.
In fact I can remember (in the days I still worked :) ) phone calls from companies who had picked up some of our old technology modules asking how they extracted the gold off the chips (and Yes, it was worth doing :))

Rob van der Does
23-06-16, 21:00
But how much of 'wast' devices are actually being used again? Worldwide?

PS: As smartphone I have a Fairphone, for exactly this reason (I know; helps only a tiny little bit, but still).

josweet
26-06-16, 18:56
The receiver maybe old & may have out done some of the others, but this is surly the way it should be when spending £300+ on a receiver.
As for the VU+ Duo's red light issue, & the Duo2 with white light issue, that imo shows the standards of that company. p1$$ poor.

Moving on... what is currently the most popular dual tuner receiver everyone is raving about, which would be considered an upgrade ?

twol
26-06-16, 19:13
The receiver maybe old & may have out done some of the others, but this is surly the way it should be when spending £300+ on a receiver.
As for the VU+ Duo's red light issue, & the Duo2 with white light issue, that imo shows the standards of that company. p1$$ poor.

Moving on... what is currently the most popular dual tuner receiver everyone is raving about, which would be considered an upgrade ?
An upgrade from what?

Sicilian
27-06-16, 06:43

This is totally off topic, start another thread.

Thread now closed, no longer needed, all required info is in thread for members to read if needed.