PDA

View Full Version : Help dvb-c tuner started breaking up on all cable channels

Stew
03-04-18, 22:10
My Edision has been setup for over 6 months and working perfect with a Disqec motor for satellite and a cable feed. Recently for no reason the cable signal is constantly breaking up on all channels sometimes flashing up the tuner failed message. I'm trying to determine if this is software related or something has broken on the tuner itself.

One thing I have noticed is in the Signal finder menu the green lock tick is constantly flickering on and off and the SNR and AGC percentages will drop. This does not happen on the Satellite tuner.

I have cleared and updated the ABM, updated the openvix software, but I'm honestly not very well up on the Openvix software. Any help to would be great, I have a week on my warranty so if it is faulty I need to sort it out soon.

Thanks.

adm
03-04-18, 22:38
My Edision has been setup for over 6 months and working perfect with a Disqec motor for satellite and a cable feed. Recently for no reason the cable signal is constantly breaking up on all channels sometimes flashing up the tuner failed message. I'm trying to determine if this is software related or something has broken on the tuner itself.

One thing I have noticed is in the Signal finder menu the green lock tick is constantly flickering on and off and the SNR and AGC percentages will drop. This does not happen on the Satellite tuner.

I have cleared and updated the ABM, updated the openvix software, but I'm honestly not very well up on the Openvix software. Any help to would be great, I have a week on my warranty so if it is faulty I need to sort it out soon.

Thanks.

Other possibilities

Loose cable connector?

Have you introduced or moved any electronic equipment close to your box recently? If so you could be getting local electrical interference getting into the fly-lead if it isn't 100% screened. To test just turn of other equipment to see if the problem disappears.

Have you introduced any new splitters to your cable input? Every passive splitter reduces the signal.

cactikid
03-04-18, 22:43
i tend to agree check all feeds connections as i had the same issue and it was a bad connection,signal finder is a great thing to see still when fixed.:D

Stew
03-04-18, 22:59
I did get another cable box recently which is setup in the other room with a perfect signal. I used a new splitter to split the cables to include the new box. Since the problems started I have connected the new box to the same location with the same cable as my misbehaving box and the signal was fine. This should rule out the cable/electronic interference shouldn't it?

cactikid
03-04-18, 23:05
are you using correct splitter?

Stew
03-04-18, 23:20
I think its just a standard 4 way splitter. Like i said I've connected my new Technomate up to the same connection and everything works fine on that. Shouldn't that rule out the splitter/connection? I'm trying to think whether it was when I installed the new box when the trouble started. I've not had much time to watch my box for a while, its only the last few days I finally got the chance and its driving me crazy now. Spent all night messing with it. Not watched a thing :confused:

adm
03-04-18, 23:27
I did get another cable box recently which is setup in the other room with a perfect signal. I used a new splitter to split the cables to include the new box. Since the problems started I have connected the new box to the same location with the same cable as my misbehaving box and the signal was fine. This should rule out the cable/electronic interference shouldn't it?

Not all tuner inputs have the same sensitivity, especially if the tuners are from different manufacturers. A signal that is maginal may work with one box and not on another.

Every time you passivly split the incomming signal you reduce its amplitude and the more times you split the lower the signal.

A good quality two way passive splitter has a typical insertion loss of 4.7dB (each output = approx 0.58 of the input voltage)
A good quality three way passive splitter has a typical insertion loss of 7.0dB (each output = approx 0.45 of the input voltage)

If you box is at the end of multiple spitters or you have split the signal using a 3 or 4 way splitter the problem you are seeing is very probably too little signal. This can be tested by picking a program that is breaking up and putting back the original splitter arrangement.

Stew
03-04-18, 23:44
Yeah putting back the original splitter was my next port of call. The thing is a couple of weeks ago I messed about with different settings and rebooted, it seemed to sort it, but when I've tried it recently its back to normal.

If it is the splitter is there a way of boosting the signal? The signal finder is fluctuating between 34.3dB and 41.8dB is that normal?

adm
04-04-18, 00:00
I think its just a standard 4 way splitter. Like i said I've connected my new Technomate up to the same connection and everything works fine on that. Shouldn't that rule out the splitter/connection? I'm trying to think whether it was when I installed the new box when the trouble started. I've not had much time to watch my box for a while, its only the last few days I finally got the chance and its driving me crazy now. Spent all night messing with it. Not watched a thing :confused:

For info
A good quality four way passive splitter has a typical insertion loss of 8.5dB (each output = approx 0.38 of the input voltage)

By replacing a 2 way splitter with a 4 way splliter you have reduced the signal level by around 35%

cactikid
04-04-18, 00:14
i still say bad connection but you have not said what splitter in use?

adm
04-04-18, 01:07
By using a 3 way splitter rather than a 4 way splitter you should get back some of the signal which may help if the signal level is just marginal with a 4 way splitter.

Ebay seller selected at random

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/F-type-Screw-Connector-Splitter-for-Virgin-Cable-5-2450-MHz-3-Way-Bt04/1137760162?iid=261778665293

It may also be beneficial to correctly terminate any unused splitter outputs. It will not however make any difference if the signal is too low.

Ebay seller selected at random

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/05302-10x-F-type-Male-Plug-Terminator-End-75-Ohm-Connectors-for-F-type-Socket/271116694395?hash=item3f1fd0737b:g:XOEAAMXQBg5RsIJ y

cactikid
04-04-18, 19:43
i would use one that suits their system,5-1000mhz,5-24500 may work but could let in interference causing issues later?

Stew
04-04-18, 20:22
What you're saying makes sense rather the splitter than the box I guess. I'm pretty sure the splitter is an H shaped one with 1 in and 3 out. One to the router and the other 2 to my receivers. I will try to install the original 2 way and report back, but I think it will probably be tomorrow before I can get to it.

Cactikid I'm not too familiar with splitter specs, to be honest I thought they were all the same! Are you saying a specific type would help, I'm thinking ahead now on how to solve this in anticipation that the splitter is at fault.

cactikid
04-04-18, 21:10
tratec 5-1000mhz is what they used,wos sell labgear 2 and 4 output ones 5-1000mhz if others can confirm there good;)
many people have issues with bad cabling and bad splitters.

abu baniaz
04-04-18, 21:30
Use a powered splitter

Stew
11-04-18, 19:45
Finally got round to installing the old 2-way splitter and the signal is fine now so its definitely the splitter. Appreciate all the help, thanks a lot.

Now regarding a proper 3-way splitter I'm guessing it safer to go with a powered one? Any suggestions? I'm struggling to find a 3-4 way powered splitter, most look like giant 8 and 10 way splitters which I have no room for. Do they even make smaller powered splitters?

adm
11-04-18, 22:24
Another alternative is to amplify the signal by. say. 6dB before then splitting - using a 3 way passive splitter. The problem you are seeing is the attenuation of the signal through the splitter so amplify the signal to compensate for the loss.

If you had a two output powered splitter you could use one output to one box and the other connected to your 2 way passive splitter

This amp has been suggested before.....
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?53534#6

Note warnings about input/output plugs and buying a 240V model

adm
11-04-18, 23:03
Another alternative is to amplify the signal by. say. 6dB before then splitting - using a 3 way passive splitter. The problem you are seeing is the attenuation of the signal through the splitter so amplify the signal to compensate for the loss.

If you had a two output powered splitter you could use one output to one box and the other connected to your 2 way passive splitter

This amp has been suggested before.....
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?53534#6

Note warnings about input/output plugs and buying a 240V model

Possibly not sound advice as one output is your broadband and is bi-directional and shouldn't have an amplifier in teh path. So
Cable input to a 2 way passive splitter. One output for broadband and the other to a amplifier/2 way splitter arrangement to feed to your 2 TV boxes.

Stew
08-05-18, 20:45
A bit late I know, but I feel the need to reply with the solution to my issue. As a few have pointed out it was the splitter/signal and thanks again for your input. For anyone with this issue in the future I've found that you can get powered splitters with a Return Path specifically for Cable broadband. This is the one I've got which is now working perfectly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CATV-Signal-Amplifier-Booster-24dB-4-Outputs-Return-Path-Virgin-Media-Smart-TVs