PDA

View Full Version : New HD51 owner

TK4|2|1
11-03-18, 16:29
Took the plunge and purchased one. Wow! Glad I did. What an improvement over my ancient TM-2T. It’s sooooooo fast, boots in no time at all.

Couple of questions, I couldn’t find answers to though,
1. Can I perform an online update? Thought I recalled posts saying no.
If the answer is no, can I couch flash or is it usb flash only?

2. Browsing through the menu, I stumble upon front display setup which mentions picon for the front display. Is this possible, because with it enabled I get nothing?

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cactikid
11-03-18, 16:53
i might advise not to online update but not to couch flash and dont use settings restore that might have non compatible stuff,but no harm in doing saving your previous image in case you want to restore.

oops just remembered arm boxes using openvix cant use couch flashing,so have a good 8gb usb like kingston,cruzer,integral:o

never used picons but they might need to be added as an extra,few picon threads on forum.

Ashley69
11-03-18, 17:02
Yes you can do an online software update.
If doing a clean flash then you can use usb or couch flash.
I am unaware of Picons being able to be displayed on front display. Maybe someone knows different.

ccs
11-03-18, 17:06
I'm not sure if you still need this plugin to couch flash the hd51, I know the option to couch flash was unavailable in imagemanager once upon a time.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?56800-Automatic-full-backup-by-Dimtrij&styleid=1

And settings+plugins restores are perfectly fine.

birdman
11-03-18, 17:10
i might advise not to online update...Whereas most others would disagree.

and dont use settings restore that might have non compatible stuffditto.

cactikid
11-03-18, 17:22
users choice to update or not and how many are on old images that have not read up on new stuff?
i might only only refash every 6 months and miss many things.

ccs
11-03-18, 17:51
users choice to update or not and how many are on old images that have not read up on new stuff?
i might only only refash every 6 months and miss many things.The last time a settings restore was not an option after an image release was 18 months ago, and as the OP has only had the box a day I don't think he needs to worry too much.:)

cactikid
11-03-18, 18:09
ahh the fun begins with a new toy,18 months wow time flies bye:sofahide:

TK4|2|1
12-03-18, 09:38
Thanks for the replies, but So many conflicting replies.

Can any HD51 owners or vix developers confirm yes or no, is online update ok or should it be couch or usb flashed.
I’m not concerned about backup or settings restore, was not asked in op.

Ashley69
12-03-18, 10:24
I refer you to post 3.
This was a straight forward reply from a Mutant HD51 owner. (me)
"Yes you can do an online software update"
"If doing a clean flash then you can use usb or couch flash"
Flashing is only required on certain image updates or if you just want to have a fresh install.

ccs
12-03-18, 11:49
Thanks for the replies, but So many conflicting replies.
Only the first reply caused confusion. If you ignore it, the rest should make sense.

abu baniaz
12-03-18, 12:01
Yes, you can perform a software update. This is the simplest and most common method of updating. It is usually problem free. In case of problem, it will be posted on forum and usually affects all receivers.

Obviously, if there are kernel/partition updates, that may not be possible. That is not a common occurrance, but stipulating it for sake of completeness.

You can also flash an image by USB or Ofgwrite (via ImageManager) and then restore settings and plugins.

Please note, the HD51 is a multi-partition/boot receiver. At the moment, the image backup can only be restored by USB. Just to emphasise, I am referring to an image backup, not a settings backup.

TK4|2|1
12-03-18, 18:45
Much appreciated.

cactikid
12-03-18, 20:50
sorry guys if i misled you as a better bunch of people you wont find anywhere else:thumbsup:.

TK4|2|1
18-05-18, 07:15
Got another question for you good people.
I’m running OpenATV and VIX on multiboot, can I perform the software update for vix as usual, or will it remove the OpenATV install?

Sicilian
18-05-18, 07:20
Should be fine to update.