PDA

View Full Version : Sky+ Magic Eye RF Outlet support

Royal with Cheese
26-01-11, 01:15
Folks,

I am planning on replcing my Sky+HD box with a VU+ after a recommendation from a work colleague.

I have custom cable in my house to be able to receive Sky+ output from any coax output via Magic Eye.

Can I also use this with VU+ Duo? If so, I would very much appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction for set up.

Thanks.

beezo
26-01-11, 01:33
i think the answer is no mate!!

unfortunatley, there is no rf output on a vu so the magic eye wont work.

only way i have been able to do it is to stream the channels over my wireless network to my pc in my bedroom. My pc is connect to my LCD. Only problem with it is that its a real PITA scrolling through each channel individually to se whats on

see here on how to stream http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3643-Guide-to-stream-your-VU-Duo-over-the-WEB-using-VLC

hifial
26-01-11, 08:18
You need this product it is a rf modulator and works with your sky magic eyes. The modulator in this is better than the one in a sky box!

****SORRY I FORGOT TO THE RULES****

Sicilian
26-01-11, 08:33
What hifial should have posted is that you need an scart to RF Modulator.

Royal with Cheese
26-01-11, 08:51
Thanks Sicilian - does anyone have any recommendations of which is best - or works best with the VU?

Any experiences greatly received!

hummer66
26-01-11, 09:19
Im useing a SLX RF Modulator
plus SLx 27833R Digi-Eye works well

Sicilian
26-01-11, 10:02
I've used the Mercury scart to RF modulator before.

Palinkat
26-01-11, 10:52
I am using the OMNILINK SIGNAL EXTENDER SYSTE M INCLUDES SLX DIGIEYE & 3 EYE SIGNAL EXTENDERS & PSU. Works with different magic eyes as well.
You can also get the Marmitek PowerMid XL infrared extender set, little piramids that sit beside your equipement.
Personally and if you already have coax running in your roomr, just get the omnilink signal extender.

squig007
26-01-11, 11:21
use 5.4ghz video senders - far superior picture that using coax and no interference from micrwaves et ...

Royal with Cheese
26-01-11, 16:42
Mant thanks for all the feedback. I've a couple of weeks to work out before I purchase so any more comments gratefully received.

hifial
26-01-11, 19:31
Sorry Sil for my earlier post doh!

I recommend the triax tri-link rf modulator with ir repeating it will work with your existing cable and magic eyes and you can pick it up for around £40-£50. I'm an installer and have used loads with freesat boxes with very good results

Royal with Cheese
01-02-11, 12:00
Again - thanks to all who've posted. My VU+ box arrives today so I'm looking forward to getting it up and running and watching from the bedroom!

mcquaim
17-11-11, 18:03
Hi folks,

Sorry to resurrect a dead post but I am curious about this post..

If I attach an RF modulator to the scart at the back of my Vu Duo and have it connected up correctly etc. and have the magic eye connected to the tv in the other room will the magic eye be able to control the Vu (change channels etc.) or will it simple allow me to view the picture on another tv?

Cheers,
Mac

silverfox0786
17-11-11, 19:36
i would purchase one of these mate they are far better for that function

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Mercury/Mercury-Universal-RF-Video-Modulator-ILS102

mcquaim
17-11-11, 19:53
Thanks silverfox,

I actually bought one of them today but I was wondering if I could control the Vu from the other room using the magic eye?

Cheers,
mcquaim

Sicilian
17-11-11, 20:12
These work http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Mercury/Mercury-ILS103-IR-Infrared-Remote-Extender-Sender

mcquaim
17-11-11, 20:35
Cheers sic!

An awful lot of extra kit to obtain the same as an RF out..

Why is it most cheap sat boxes have the RF connector but all the expensive ones don't?

Cheers,
mcquaim

silverfox0786
17-11-11, 20:52
RF these days is obsolete now and all new TV's after the switch over wont even have the analogue system in the TV

my tv i cant watch analogue as its not even a feature on the TV anymore

mcquaim
17-11-11, 21:03
Good point, never even thought of that..

Where does that leave piping the picture around the home in the future?

silverfox0786
17-11-11, 22:13
well as sic mentioned above the av video senders work or then network streaming is the big cheese at the moment

mcquaim
17-11-11, 22:35
Yeah, I use the webinterface to stream myself but fine for me as I have the pc connected to the TV in the other room! The sister (who I bought the RF Modulator for) doesn't have that luxury I'm afraid so I'm looking at options for replacing her current setup of sly and magic eyes.

I noticed another divice on the net earlier, "Omni Link + Remote / TV Extender". It seems to do exactly what I was looking for, you ever come across one of these?

silverfox0786
17-11-11, 22:39
thats the same as what sic pointed you to in post 16

mcquaim
17-11-11, 23:00
Not excatly, the ones that sic pointed out are wireless senders! I was never a fan of any of those wireless senders be it video or remote.. They tend to be very temperamental.

jonesi100
18-11-11, 02:13
I have just bought the Triax Tri-Link. It is basically a combined RF modulator (high quality) with Sky TvLink Plus functionality (plus 12v to power magic eyes). Give it a try. My only issue is that it doesn't support RGB scart, and it will only work if SCART is enabled as the output!!! Not sure what will happen when I switch over to HDMI

DJS
18-11-11, 18:18
I have just bought an HDMI splitter and a HDMI over CAT5 extender with IR, havent had a chance to set it up yet but I wanted an HD picture in my other room, so it was a bit more expensive.

Silent
24-11-11, 15:12
Hi Guys,

I've already got a HDMI splitter on my sly box, with both an HDMI and a Coax cable running to the bedroom. I'm currently using HDMI for the picture and the Coax is only used to change the channel via a mini Magic Eye on my Sly HD+ box.

I'm waiting for my change of ISP away from Sly to complete before I get my Duo, but can anyone recommend a modulator that will allow me to change the channel from the bedroom? I don't really want to spend £50 when I won't be using the picture.

Cheers,
Silent

Rob van der Does
24-11-11, 21:16
My only issue is that it doesn't support RGB scart
That wouldn't make sense, as the quality of the modulated signal will never exceed CVBS.

and it will only work if SCART is enabled as the output!
No worries there: whatever output the box is set to, Scart will always work (as well).

RichT
25-11-11, 20:09
Silent,

Omnilink do a magic eye kit which works like the sky one but has as extra box at the equipment end to convert back to ir with 3 emitters on plug in leads.

Just connect to coax in each room, you wont need a modulator if you're not sending the picture, I've used this exact same setup before.

Cheers

RichT

Silent
02-12-11, 15:44
Hi Rich,

I've just ordered my Duo and went to look at this, but I'm not sure I understand how it would connect. There's no aerial socket on the box, so would I still need an RF Modulator so that it does it via the scart, or does it have an IR sender the other end I need to position somewhere it can see the box?

Thanks for your help,
Silent.

mookydudz
04-12-11, 10:56
I currently use 4 Powermid XL by Marmitek. They are about £12 each, you need 1 transmitter at the VU+ end & a receiver at each TV point.

These work fine for me (i only have LCD's) but my father in law has trouble, i think its his plasma tv interfering with the IR band.

Mookydudz

mrc
07-12-11, 19:43
im using the triax tri link and it works perfectly with the VU Duo+ i would say go with that pal the HDMI and scart both work at the same time..;)

fintannl
11-11-14, 11:16
Do you need two triax tri-links to control separate TV boxes. The boxes must be kept separate as one is for living room TV and one is for the kids tv