PDA

View Full Version : gently please - Positioner help

martyd
19-05-10, 11:30
Ok got my vu very nice,fitted hdd samsung 1tb flashed image fine no problems there, scanned free first cool few extra channels then scanned all millions of bsb no use to me yet, i need help with tuner b i have not positioned it properly yet dish has moved during scanning so my question is how do i send the motor home reset? and am i best installing a bouquet for 0.8 west picking a channel and fine tuning that way or is there a better way plus once its fine tuned what's the next step change it back to positioner rather than single sat and scan again.
p.s. i have dcc set up can see vu+ on network etc

bobonthejob
19-05-10, 11:40
What image are you using? If you have PLi, there should be a postitioner setup. On that you can send the motor back to 0.

Try:

Setup
Service searching
Positioner Setup.

martyd
19-05-10, 14:04
found it, then just scan 0.8w as a single sat see if i can find anything?

bob1
19-05-10, 17:54
Whats the dish setup your using?

ttt1892
19-05-10, 17:58
I have motorised dish on Tuner A (Advanced) and my Sly UK on Tuner B (Simple: Single Satellite).

ttt.

martyd
19-05-10, 18:26
I have a sly mini on tuner A, no problems there messed with skins etc. everything good, its tuner B its on a duel lnb just used one leg though, a tm2600 and a 1m dish im using the boss's openpli image for newbie's, there's a positioner help section on the image using a sat meter i have a good signal at where i think 1 west should be come indoors and nothing if i scan from image the signal rises at other sat points so i assume the basics are OK coax lnb etc..

kingy29
19-05-10, 20:50
Set Tuner A simple : Positioner and lat. Long
Set Tuner B simple : Single :Astra 2 A-B-C-D (28.2)
Motor must be set to Tuner A

Sicilian
19-05-10, 20:57
When you scan 0.8, use the settings in the screenshot below (the satellite should show 0.8, not astra/eurobird)

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=333

martyd
20-05-10, 07:34
Thanks guys will try later on this afternoon

martyd
20-05-10, 17:49
Thanks kingy now on tuner A, i scanned and have 12 channels all Baltic so i assume this is not 1 west but Sirius i did have 0.8 selected on search so that threw me i suspect the inclination may be out because if i move 4 degrees there is nothing there
Yours sincerely
Fed up
gonna have a break

kingy29
20-05-10, 19:17
You will need to setup your dish correctly.
Inclination markings on my TM were close enough providing your pole is plumb both ways this is critical. Align to Thor 0.8W BBC News and you should be OK.
I get BBC News SNR 86-88% AGC 93% . Nova Sport SNR 70 % AGC 95%

martyd
21-05-10, 04:37
have another look today i think its plumb used a good boat level on it and i have a god compass the fact these channels appear to be on Sirius threw me thout it would only tune to 0.8 once selected

bobonthejob
21-05-10, 08:41
Yeah...cant stress how critical it is to be plumb with the pole. Another thing you could do is step east and west using the positioner app. This way you can see if you pick satellites up over the through the arc. Once you find 1W you can get an idea of where the dish should be pointing.

You could then set the motor back to zero...and move the dish and motor to the new direction.

martyd
21-05-10, 09:02
had a go with that bob, thats how i found sirius, gonna throw a plumb line on later to double check for plumb then start again on motor angle etc i will get there now the positioner app is pretty good i think whats happened is i have moved bracket to tune in with meter on sirius and not thor so if i move dish approx 5 degrees west and then look again got all weekend to get right

bobonthejob
21-05-10, 09:25
Im a newb to this...the principles i used were....

- Bracket must be plub from all sides of the arm
- Set motor to 0, connect motor to dish fittings and allign 0 on motor inline with the dish head. Also set angles as per TM instructions
- from dishpointer.com find general 1W
- point to general direction...
- use dish pointer to move dish east west to hit Thor at 0.8W.
- Make a mark somewhere on the motor to show the right direction.
- reset to 0 again.
- move the dish and motor back to the marking manualy.

You should then be connected at your 0 to 0.8 W.... put your long and lat in...And your Off..... Woooohooooo happy days.

martyd
24-05-10, 13:18
The saga continues busy weekend but i have made a decision to get rid of l shape mount just too flexy went to grax and got t&k and pole for stability and going to start again today, whilst messing about i noticed that if the dish was pointed south and i selected a channel on 0.8w the dish went east dont seem right that? but every other command was ok just could not find sat.

micscave
24-05-10, 15:37
The saga continues busy weekend but i have made a decision to get rid of l shape mount just too flexy went to grax and got t&k and pole for stability and going to start again today, whilst messing about i noticed that if the dish was pointed south and i selected a channel on 0.8w the dish went east dont seem right that? but every other command was ok just could not find sat.Hey martyd
Is it a TM 2600 motor ? If so & this is probably the same as on all motors but you could try resetting the motor by inserting a pin in the reset hole to push in the button. I think from memory that there is a rubber plug over the hole.
hope this helps

martyd
24-05-10, 17:36
no need with pli image, theres a positioner that takes it back to zero for you, can some one just tell me if i am doing everything right

1) pole now perfect on t&k
2) latitude set on motor at my 50 something
3) dish set using motor instructions figure and point due south
4 configure tuner as positioner with my coordinates north and west
5) manual scan using 0.8 west as sat
6) no joy there try moving dish while watching snr level
7) almost nothing at all to west some sats to east

micscave
24-05-10, 20:53
The reset dosen't send it to zero but it resets the preset satellite table. You need to make sure the dish is at zero when you push the button for a couple of seconds, also the cable from the receiver to the motor must be disconnected. Set the dish to zero using the buttons on the motor.
only a suggestion but I had to do this a few months ago as the motor software got screwed up & it wouldn't find any sats.

It looks like you're doing everything right looking at your list.
Good luck

Sicilian
24-05-10, 21:02
Isn't there a button on it that send it to zero too? Cant remember for sure.

martyd
24-05-10, 21:05
i am pretty sure its going to zero, looked at gauge under motor and its going to 0 each time i send it there, Am i doing the next stage right though do i need to insert bouquet then send the dish to Thor then move dish around to locate sat

Sicilian
24-05-10, 21:12
Its its aligned to thor 100% and everything is plumb, you should be able to switch to other satellites no problem.

What the signal strength like on Thor?

Try upload mine or catseyes latest Enigma 2 settings, then switch to another strong satellite like 13, 19 or 28.2.

martyd
25-05-10, 04:28
No its not aligned to thor where thor should be i have nothing i am off work so gonna mess a bit today

bobonthejob
25-05-10, 09:04
You may need to mess about with satfinder application and also may need to tweak the angle of the dish (Not the motor).

On the satfinder app, configure it so that you are locking on to Thor at 0.8W. Then see the signal strength monitor to see the strength. You will need to move the dish about.

martyd
25-05-10, 09:38
signal appears erratic 99% down to 0% and everything in between, going back out now to have a fiddle can i clarify if select a channel say on sirius or hotbird should i be able to move dish and get reception? sounds daft i know but i am now starting to doubt everything i know.

bobonthejob
25-05-10, 10:16
If you select the BBC World News channel on Thor 0.8W .... That is FTA. You should get a good signal to that....

But id try locking on to the satellite...it will be a ball ache of a job alligning with out a meter....

bobonthejob
26-05-10, 10:17
How you getting on with this martyd?