PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 4K reciever

satnut2
11-02-18, 13:11
Well I'm looking to upgrade my Xtrend ET8500 which I've been massively disappointed with , mainly on the tuner driver side of things which have not been resolved forcing me to use drivers from old builds to get around recording glitches when using multiple tuners.

Anyway I fancy a 4k Receiver with 3 or 4 satellite tuners , I have been looking at the Gigablue Quad but open to suggestions

I've had VU receivers before and Technomate but not tried Gigablue , can anyone recommend anything

Sicilian
11-02-18, 13:15
Both the Gigablue UHD Quad and UHD UE are nice receivers imo.

twol
11-02-18, 16:37
Well I'm looking to upgrade my Xtrend ET8500 which I've been massively disappointed with , mainly on the tuner driver side of things which have not been resolved forcing me to use drivers from old builds to get around recording glitches when using multiple tuners.

Anyway I fancy a 4k Receiver with 3 or 4 satellite tuners , I have been looking at the Gigablue Quad but open to suggestions

I've had VU receivers before and Technomate but not tried Gigablue , can anyone recommend anything
I have had the Giga UHD QUAD 4K since 1st release in Germany (April 2017) and they have continued to update drivers and provide announced features (although not all at 1st ship :) ).
I am really pleased with the speed of the receiver (once booted), the FBC tuners and built in features like QUADPIP and Multiboot (which allows you to flip between Images very easily).... it also has an excellent remote unlike some of the other 4K receivers!

satnut2
11-02-18, 20:46
I have had the Giga UHD QUAD 4K since 1st release in Germany (April 2017) and they have continued to update drivers and provide announced features (although not all at 1st ship :) ).
I am really pleased with the speed of the receiver (once booted), the FBC tuners and built in features like QUADPIP and Multiboot (which allows you to flip between Images very easily).... it also has an excellent remote unlike some of the other 4K receivers!

Thanks for the feedback Twol , would you say your Gigablue is your prefered box from your vast selection of receivers in your signature ? :)

john doe
11-02-18, 20:49

sorry to jump in
would you say better or on par with the solo4k?

twol
11-02-18, 21:25
Thanks for the feedback Twol , would you say your Gigablue is your prefered box from your vast selection of receivers in your signature ? :)

Yes. My all time favourite was the ET8500 (it had some real nice features e.g. slide in HDD, large colour LCD and even a multiboot feature).
Mut@nt HD51 is my work box, where I try out things.
I had an Octagon SF4008, but managed to sell it on at a reasonable price:) A good decision.
The Giga is my Lounge receiver, and I have no issues. Currently runs with 3 images OpenViX (naturally), OPenPli and Open ATV .... they all run with the same bouquets, and it’s controlled by an Ipad app so my wife sees no difference.

twol
11-02-18, 21:35
sorry to jump in
would you say better or on par with the solo4k?

Never had a Vu+, so hard to really comment...Although I would suggest that Vu+ dropped their pricing when the Giga arrived.
Quadpip works better on the Giga (all 4 pics have video and sound), but otherwise I would guess that most features are comparable.... same chip(as the newer Vu+ 4K boxes), same FBC tuner, excellent remote, similar LCD size/quality etc etc
... BUT the Giga has built in Multiboot like the HD51 and (Mut@nt like boxes) and as far as I can tell Blindscan also works ... regardless of some peoples disbelief!

Trial
12-02-18, 09:23
Hi,
the Solo4K would be the worst decision when you want a 4K VU because it is the oldest one and she does not support VP9/WEBM. I would choose Vu+ Uno 4K SE or if money does not matter the Ultimo 4K even though she is also quite old.

ciao

john doe
12-02-18, 09:55
I have a zero and solo2 and both been fantastic. the sf4008 has been ok but come to realise its not all that, also like the idea of multiboot. ummm

stavo
12-02-18, 10:13
i was thinking of taking the plunge regarding the giga, i did first take a look at the ultimo, however it realy is a lot of money (ultimo), for my needs, questions for twol, what is the sd picture quality like, have you tryed iptv on this stb,is it atable !

john doe
12-02-18, 11:28
does the gigablue quad 4k remote control the tv?

twol
12-02-18, 11:36
i was thinking of taking the plunge regarding the giga, i did first take a look at the ultimo, however it realy is a lot of money (ultimo), for my needs, questions for twol, what is the sd picture quality like, have you tryed iptv on this stb,is it atable !
IPTV runs fine on this (and on the HD51)... the ET7500 runs off the Giga4K
I run Stalker plugin (available only on the HD51) when I am watching something serious on IPTV as it seems more consistent & solid - rare to get stoppages.
SD is OK (my wife never notices if we are running a SD or HD channel, but to me it’s pretty obvious), so not as clean as HD... but then again both my TV‘s are Panny plasma‘s and the 4K monitor is also high quality.... so that perhaps smooths out any issues.

twol
12-02-18, 11:51
does the gigablue quad 4k remote control the tv?

Good question! As mentioned I typically use an Ipad app to control everything, but...........
It has buttons for the receiver(GIGA), TV , DVD and AUX, so I am assuming that like previous Giga remotes it can be setup to control the TV .....there are threads posted on this forum and also tutorials/pdf‘s on the Gigablue (Impex) web site.
Certainly, as I have found to my cost pressing the TV button in error, can really confuse my in-laws when everything stops working on the receiver!!

Multiboot for me is a significant advantage, especially when you run your own build and play with the code ... just takes no time (reboot) to flip images .... available on most images including now OpenPli (only on HD51 currently, but its trivial to add code (even I can do it :) )for the Giga4K so I would expect it to be covered when they start officially providing images for the Giga4K (meta for the Giga is already in OpenPli and the image buiilds fine)....

lnoton
04-03-18, 18:28
I had two technomate 4ks. Neither worked for me and crashed. I was a newbie (an still am) but I do feel the quality was less than impressive and they ran very hot. Someone here recommended the Gigablue 4k UE and so I got that instead. Awesome box. I've never really had the permanent timeshift working perfectly..but I think that might be because I don't understand its behaviour when watching short 5-10min kid programmes.

Anyway...defo vote for gigablue.

satnut2
17-03-18, 18:03
Well still not bought anything yet , Ive been looking at the Octagon SF4008 triple tuner , any Octagon owners got any comments about the receivers ?

satnut2
17-03-18, 18:35
Does the Octagon SF4008 have the DVB-S2x tuners ?

john doe
17-03-18, 18:40
I have one that I use in the bedroom, on one cable feed. it can be purchased with DVB S/S2 tuner for sat. I see theres a grade A for sale on WOS for £145. I was selling mine but no takers

Andy_Hazza
17-03-18, 19:20
Does the Octagon SF4008 have the DVB-S2x tuners ?

No. The Mut@nt HD51 does though. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huevos
17-03-18, 19:58
as far as I can tell Blindscan also works ... regardless of some peoples disbelief!Can you post some screenshots of that please.

satnut2
17-03-18, 20:23
No. The Mut@nt HD51 does though. [emoji4]

Is this defo correct Wos are saying they are the DVB-S2X?

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/Octagon/octagon-sf4008

I'm seriously wanting this box and 3 x DVB-S2X tuners

Andy_Hazza
17-03-18, 21:09
In the main description it mentions DVB-S2x, but in the Select Tuners tab no mention of them. Ask WoS themselves for confirmation/reassurances.

satnut2
17-03-18, 22:01
In the main description it mentions DVB-S2x, but in the Select Tuners tab no mention of them. Ask WoS themselves for confirmation/reassurances.

Yep your right , no mention of DVB-S2X when selecting tuners

world-of-satellite.co.uk
18-03-18, 06:38
Is this defo correct Wos are saying they are the DVB-S2X?

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/Octagon/octagon-sf4008

I'm seriously wanting this box and 3 x DVB-S2X tuners

Listing has been corrected, yes they are S2X tuners.

Gerry55
18-03-18, 12:57
I would like to add my 4 pennyworth.

I would recommend a Vu+ 4k box, myself I have a ultimo 4k with 4 tuners, it also has a HDMI in port that I use for my mag box.

It runs IPTV very well, as I can edit the m3u lines and put them into folders better than I can on the Mag box.

You can even have Cccam now.

Huevos
18-03-18, 13:33

I would recommend a Vu+ 4k box, myself I have a ultimo 4k with 4 tuners, it also has a HDMI in port that I use for my mag box.

It runs IPTV very well, as I can edit the m3u lines and put them into folders better than I can on the Mag box.

You can even have Cccam now.Nice box, but double the price.

satnut2
18-03-18, 13:48

The ultimo is also on my list , but top of the budget !

Sicilian
18-03-18, 13:53
Gigablue UHD 4K and Quad 4K are nice boxes, but no extra PNP satellite tuners yet. You could use the FBC tuners with a Unicable LNB. The Gigablue sat tuners will be S2X.

el bandido
22-03-18, 23:32
Can you provide the model number for the the Gigablue sat tuners that will be S2X? I am interested in getting one if the S2X tuners will blindscan and do the APSK transponders like the Zero 4K does.

Sicilian
22-03-18, 23:36
Can you provide the model number for the the Gigablue sat tuners that will be S2X? I am interested in getting one if the S2X tuners will blindscan and do the APSK transponders like the Zero 4K does.

They’ve not been released yet.

linsladeboy
23-03-18, 15:18

Cccam with 4K since when:confused:
I thought you could only run oscam on 4k receivers?

Andy_Hazza
23-03-18, 15:53
Not on ViX.

linsladeboy
23-03-18, 16:50
Hi Andy, didn't know that.
Am I allowed to ask why not on Vix image without breaking any rules.

abu baniaz
23-03-18, 17:29
If you get the binary file that works on Arm receivers, place in /usr/softcams, chmod 755, transfer configs, it should work.

simonckenyon
28-03-18, 10:50
what are the differences between the Gigablue UHD Quad 4K and the Gigablue UE 4k?
i've searched quite a bit and cannot find a comparison.

Andy_Hazza
28-03-18, 11:03
what are the differences between the Gigablue UHD Quad 4K and the Gigablue UE 4k?
i've searched quite a bit and cannot find a comparison.

Quite obvious when you read the specs of each receiver. Extra USB port, Extra CI Slot, Extra HDMI port, Bigger Display Screen.....

simonckenyon
28-03-18, 11:34
Quite obvious when you read the specs of each receiver. Extra USB port, Extra CI Slot, Extra HDMI port, Bigger Display Screen.....

Thanks. I understand there are some additional features in the Quad. But from the perspective of receiving and displaying tv pictures they seem identical.
I was just wondering if I was missing something. Like the Quad only will handle 4 streams, whereas the UE will handle 8. One has internal routing of the DVB-S2 signal and the other does not. Something like that.

Sicilian
28-03-18, 12:34
Thanks. I understand there are some additional features in the Quad. But from the perspective of receiving and displaying tv pictures they seem identical.
I was just wondering if I was missing something. Like the Quad only will handle 4 streams, whereas the UE will handle 8. One has internal routing of the DVB-S2 signal and the other does not. Something like that.

They're both the same. Both have embedded Satellite DVB-S/S2 FBC tuners with 8x demodulators. To get full use of the FBC tuners you need a Unicable LNB:
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/universal-and-unicable-lnb/gt-sat-unicable-lnb

simonckenyon
28-03-18, 12:36
They're both the same. Both have embedded Satellite DVB-S/S2 FBC tuners with 8x demodulators. To get full use of the FBC tuners you need a Unicable LNB:
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/universal-and-unicable-lnb/gt-sat-unicable-lnb

Thank you both very much for your quick replies.