PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Duo whistling PSU

sundancer
06-02-18, 21:12
Just wondering if anybody has ever come across this before, The Vu+ Duo i picked up for my son to use whistles when its in use. The receiver works fine but the whistle is a little annoying.

I tracked the whistle down to the PSU. Any ideas what this could be. The receiver is knocking on for 4 years old according to the date stamp i found on the case under the psu. Its definitely a 100% genuine Vu+ Duo, not a clone.

I did buy a replacement PSU from a shop in London through eBay who does claim to be an authorised VU+ retailer but all that did when fitted was put the red light on and nothing else. I refitted the old psu and the Duo came back to life, although with annoying whistle intact. No idea if i was sold a clone psu i was sold, all i know is that it didn't work.

I would have rather have purchased one from WOS but they dont seem to sell them

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so i may have a go at fixing the original one if somebody can possibly point me in the direction of where to look first.

Thanks

mcquaim
07-02-18, 00:57
Hi there,

I’ve no idea about the whistling but on the psu you bought check these two capacitors on the psu board:

It’s the two largest ones in the centre of the picture. The two in the picture are slightly buldged at the top but the bottom was completely burst and mine just had the red light also. I replaced both and away it went and still going strong..

Hope it works for you :thumbsup:

Sicilian
07-02-18, 07:51
I would have rather have purchased one from WOS but they dont seem to sell them

The VU+ Duo is old and has been discontinued for years. I would not waste any money on it when you can buy the higher spec Tiviar Alpha+ for only £99.00: https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar/tiviar-alpha-plus

sundancer
07-02-18, 18:40
Its a nice thought, but my wife would cut off my testicles with a blunt knife if i purchased any more receivers :eek:

I have already spent £60 at WOS this week on tuners for my ET8500, I think that will do for a few weeks :D

You cant run Blackhole on the Tiviar either. The Duo is the only box i run Blackhole on as my son gets on better with it than VIX :trustme:

sundancer
18-02-18, 15:24
I finally replaced the psu with a new one from a company in London (not WOS) claiming to be a VU+ authorised retailer. All the new PSU did was put on a red light on the front and nothing else. I can only assume it was either a psu for a clone or it was faulty. The return process was only what i can describe as painful, i finally got my money back after two weeks. Cant say i'll be using them again.
I decided to try and figure out the issue on my current psu. I narrowed the whistling down to the large capacitor on the main psu board when listening with a straw. I replaced the capacitor with a new one with the same values other than it being 105c instead of 85c and also dampened down the coils with hot glue and now the psu is silent again :D

Total cost £1.99 for the new capacitor. Definitely cheaper than buying a new receiver :thumbsup:

Andy_Hazza
18-02-18, 15:41
Well done! [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk