PDA

View Full Version : F4 Turbo In loop

Maxpower
05-02-18, 19:49
My F4 Turbo has on booting up gone into a loop, the "Vix" keeps appearing rotating then disappears. I am unable to get out of this loop. I have disconnected the power for a period but it will still not boot.
I was at the time installing the Night HD skin.
Could you advise me please.Thanks.

twol
05-02-18, 19:54
Using something like putty, open a telnet session using the IP address and root as the userid (no password)
Then enter init 4. /stop the boxes processing)
Then enter enigma2 (to look at the log so far)....have a look at the log or paste it here.
If its the skin, the you will probably have to do as above (upto entering the init 4), then use filezilla to access the receivers files and delete the skins directory in usr/share

Maxpower
05-02-18, 20:03
Thanks twol,
i am new at using this stb, I did install the very latest Vix update today as well.
But I have to be honest I dont understand what you have written up above, my knowledge does not extend to that level i'm afraid.
I will do some reading up on the various terms you use, but I am at a loss as to where to start.
Thanks anyway.
Dave.

Maxpower
06-02-18, 12:59
Hi, I have read what you advise me to do but I’m frightened of corrupting the STB.
Is it possible there is a way of restoring the box to its orginal state and then flashing it with VIX again.
Or alternatively is there anyone who can help me get out of the issue. Otherwise I’m stuck with a dead STB.
Thanks again.

ccs
06-02-18, 13:02
Reflashing ViX is the equivalent of starting again from scratch.

If you then restore (from a backup) settings and plugins you add back what you had before.

Sicilian
06-02-18, 13:06
Simply re-USB flash the box, thats all you need to do.

Maxpower
07-02-18, 00:12
Thanks, I’ll do my reading up on that and let you know how I get on.
Maxpower.

Sicilian
07-02-18, 07:54
Thanks, I’ll do my reading up on that and let you know how I get on.
Maxpower.

Flashing guide can be found here: http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/guides-and-tutorials/receiver-usb-flashing-guides/edision-usb-flashing-guides-2/

Maxpower
08-02-18, 16:22
Flashing guide can be found here: http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/guides-and-tutorials/receiver-usb-flashing-guides/edision-usb-flashing-guides-2/
Hi Sicilian,
Thanks for the very precise details as what to do,
However the STB will not boot from the USB.
It goes straight into run and into the same loop.
I have used the tools you recommended and have tried a couple of different USB sticks.
Can you suggest what I should try now.
Thanks
Maxpower.

ccs
08-02-18, 16:31
Have you tried both usb ports?

If you can delete the offending skin and get ViX running again, you would be able to couch flash, and not need to usb flash.

Andy_Hazza
08-02-18, 18:49
The usb flash drives you have maybe flakey. Try purchasing a 8gb Kingston one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxpower
09-02-18, 01:03
I have a couple of new ones on order
Also not tried both USB ports, that will be my next thing tomorrow.
Thanks.

Maxpower
09-02-18, 01:07
I dint know how to get into the STB as it loops on the start up screen.
If you can delete the offending skin and get ViX running again, you would be able to couch flash, and not need to usb flash.[/QUOTE]

Maxpower
09-02-18, 18:55
Tried the STB with 3 different USB sticks, but it bypassestge USB and goes into boot and run.
Display goes up to 49 then loops and won’t go any further.
Is there anything else I can try. That I can understand.
Thanks.

Andy_Hazza
09-02-18, 19:20
You are extracting the latest ViX image and not trying to flash with the zipped image? I use WinRAR to extract my files.

Maxpower
10-02-18, 00:08
No, using the 4 unzipped files, and the very latest image.
Placed the folder (unzipped) on empty fat32 formatted USB stick.

Maxpower
10-02-18, 17:18
Help, is there anyway I can get this STB to stop looping.
I’ve tried to flash it , but it will not respond.
Surely there must be a way to get it back to its default setting.
I’m left with a STB that I can’t use.

ccs
10-02-18, 18:43
You need to have another look at post #2

If you can't usb flash, then you need to use telnet or putty to connect to the box and attempt to diagnose/fix it.

Has the box a disc attached? I'm wondering if it ran out of flash memory when you changed skins.

edit: remove all other usb devices before attempting to re-flash an image.

Maxpower
10-02-18, 19:10
Hi CCS,
I looked at post#2 but being honest I did not understand it. That would be new ground for me.
I will read up on it, but have no idea what it’s about. Never used those tools.
No disc attached to STB.
No other USB devices attached.

I do take heed of the advice given on here, it’s been helpful, but I’m just stumped on this occasion.

If I return theSTB to retailer, do you think they would reflash it for me as a last option.
Thnx.

ccs
10-02-18, 19:17
Telnet and putty are tools you run on a pc to connect to your stb.

(Telnet will need enabling first in windows before you can use it. It's in "Turn Windows Features On/Off".)

There's also a guide here...

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40948-How-to-use-Putty-for-Unix-Linux-commands&p=315344&viewfull=1#post315344

Re-flashing is bar far your best option. Sometimes people have problems, but eventually they find a stick that works.

roybach
10-02-18, 20:33
A couple of important points I wish to bring to your attention incase that you may have missed them. make sure that the flash drive is Formated to FAT 32, secondly make sure that the only file on the Flash drive is the "Formuler4turbo" folder and absolutely nothing else whatsoever #. If this fails you could ask for a forum member close to your location to assist if you don't mind giving your location away.

Maxpower
10-02-18, 23:11
Thanks for the reply,
Just to confirm I have tried 4 different USB sticks.
Formatted the, to FAT32 using the HPFormat Tool.
The only item on the USB is the 5 unzipped files in Fourmuler4turbo.
Tried them in both of the USB ports (1 at a time).
Turned power on to STB and then no USB ID comes up on screen. Have pressed power button .
It goes into “boot’ then “run” then the screen runs up to 49 with the VIX logo rotating, but then it loops and goes no further.
I have no objection to obtaining help from another member, but I do not like to impose, I do try and learn and sort these issues myself.

ccs
10-02-18, 23:18
Maybe try an older image.

Also, Formuler website has a factory image which you could try.

Andy_Hazza
11-02-18, 08:57
Thanks for the reply,
Just to confirm I have tried 4 different USB sticks.
Formatted the, to FAT32 using the HPFormat Tool.
The only item on the USB is the 5 unzipped files in Fourmuler4turbo.
Tried them in both of the USB ports (1 at a time).
Turned power on to STB and then no USB ID comes up on screen. Have pressed power button .
It goes into “boot’ then “run” then the screen runs up to 49 with the VIX logo rotating, but then it loops and goes no further.
I have no objection to obtaining help from another member, but I do not like to impose, I do try and learn and sort these issues myself.

Confirm when you extract the zipped image you are placing the folder “called, formuler4turbo”, to the root of the formatted (fat32) usb flash drive?

Andy_Hazza
11-02-18, 09:02
And then to also confirm, while the usb flash drive is inserted into the receiver, you have powered off via the rear rocker switch (on the receiver) and then powered back on, then on the front display it will say USB and at this point you are pressing the power button on the receiver which is on the right hand side when facing the receiver?

Maxpower
11-02-18, 13:26
Tried factory image, but with no success.
The STB ignores the USB when turned on, it goes straight into boot the run even when power button is depressed.
The STB won’t recognise theUSB although the indicator light on USB comes on showing it is powered.
It appears that the only way I may possibly get around this is by using Putty and Telnet etc. But I have no knowledge of those tools and worried I might screw the box up completely.
Anyone in the N Kent area than can help please.

Maxpower
11-02-18, 13:28
Andy Hazza, thanks for the advice but the Box does not operate as you believe it should.
No rocker switch, no USB showing on display. And I’m using the power button on right of box.
Thanks.

Andy_Hazza
11-02-18, 13:34
Confirm you just have the one folder to the root of the usb flash drive? The folder is called Formuler4turbo if done correctly.

ccs
11-02-18, 13:35
Try switching off at the mains if there isn't a power toggle at the back.

Maxpower
11-02-18, 20:17
Confirm only the 1 folder Formuler4turbo

Secondly turn off STB from mains power.

Confirm you just have the one folder to the root of the usb flash drive? The folder is called Formuler4turbo if done correctly.

Andy_Hazza
11-02-18, 20:27
Got to be the usb flash drives. You’ve tried front & back usb ports?

Andy_Hazza
11-02-18, 20:28
Also problem turning off at mains is you might be too slow to see the UPDATE message on the receiver?

Maxpower
12-02-18, 10:13
The F4 turbo only has 2 USB ports at the rear, none at the front.
I also have the unit in my hand when I switch it on and can see the display as I do so.
I am going to see if I can get any help from Formuler themselves today.
Maybe they can suggest something.
But thanks everyone for your help.

Maxpower
12-02-18, 11:47
Being returned to retailer.
Will post the outcome.

Maxpower
28-02-18, 16:06
Returned and back to default settings. Bit worried now on altering anything in case it loops again