PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Ultimo] Buying advice for System Upgrade

spevs
12-01-18, 07:19
I have some money left over from Christmas and I am looking to upgrade my set up, I currently have two Solo2's & a SoloSE all running latest VIX image, I have a 28.2 dish and quad Lnb. I am interested in the Vu Ultimo 4K and was hoping to take advantage of using a FBC Lnb, however, I am not sure how this will interact with my set up, the intention would be to replace one Solo2 with the Ultimo 4K and carry on using the remaining receivers. Will the FBC Lnb work over the standard coax cable I have in situ & what effect would it have on the remaining Solo2, my SoloSE has terrestrial tuner.

I have tried searching on line for info as to how this all works but I can't find anything.

Any help & advice would be appreciated, also if there is anything better or is considered more suitable please let me know, although I do like VU receivers.

Many thanks

Spevs

twol
12-01-18, 07:54
The cheapest option would be to replace the Quad LNB ith a unicable LNB and setup the Solo2 in C/S mode off the Ultimo 4K.
A more expensive option would be to place a unicable switch (that supports the Quad LNB - many don‘t) that also has legacy outputs (often they have 2 legacy outputs). So you can then run Unicable to the 4K and legacy to the Solo2

Of course you could also do the same with a Giga 4K :) .... but if you ever need cable the Vu has fbc cable.

abu baniaz
12-01-18, 09:20
You are mixing up "FBC tuner" and "unicable/jess LNB". They are two separate and independent things. There is no such thing as "FBC LNB".

Unlike conventional LNBs, unicable LNBs can use several splitters. One possible setup is to use a unicable LNB with a splitter nearby. This creates multiple connections for your existing cabling.

lincsat
12-01-18, 13:57
There is a "Sky Q/Hybrid" LNB available that has the 2 FBC outputs and 4 "universal" outputs, that should do the job for you.

spevs
13-01-18, 13:33
Thanks guys for the responses, looks like the SkyQ/Hybrid option at £22 will enable my remaining Solo2 to function as is, and also allow me to benefit from the FBC available on the Ultimo 4K, would I need one cable to the Ultimo or two......?

Andy_Hazza
13-01-18, 13:47
Thanks guys for the responses, looks like the SkyQ/Hybrid option at £22 will enable my remaining Solo2 to function as is, and also allow me to benefit from the FBC available on the Ultimo 4K, would I need one cable to the Ultimo or two......?

1x cable to the Ultimo, but you are aware the FBC tuner will not function to its full capacity with the SkyQ LNB yeah?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincsat
13-01-18, 14:39
I thought it was 2x Cable, 1 for each polarity?

abu baniaz
13-01-18, 15:52
Sky Q LNB is a wideband LNB. Are you sure it can be configured/used on Enigma2?

spevs
15-01-18, 19:38
Ok, so what would be the most suitable setup to get the best out of the Ultimo whilst still being able to use the Solo2 as it is. Thanks for all your replys..................Spevs

Andy_Hazza
15-01-18, 21:07
Personally I would go with a JESS/Unicable 2 LNB, that gives you 8 tuners and then use the Solo 2 in Client mode to pinch tuners from the Ultimo 4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twol
15-01-18, 21:10
Yep said that in post #2, but nobody seemed to like the idea:)

abu baniaz
15-01-18, 21:27
Solo 2 can also use a Unicable 2 LNB. (Splitter required). No need for client mode although you can still use it.

twol
15-01-18, 22:04
I just think C/S mode is a lot simpler, only needs an internet connection, no splitter and to the end user looks just the same as a full connection.

lincsat
22-01-18, 18:37
Been giving this some thought and done some Googling. The SkyQ LNB is a FBC LNB with, I believe, a local oscillator frequency of 10.45GHz. However, the Hybrid SkyQ LNB needs some sort of signal from the SkyQ box to switch each output to FBC mode, without that signal, it's just a 6 output Universal LNB.

So, to use the Hybrid LNB to get the full features, we would need to figure out and mimic the switching signal - anyone got any ideas what it may be?

abu baniaz
22-01-18, 19:02
FBC is associated with Tuners, not LNBs.

It is more than likely a wideband LNB.

lincsat
23-01-18, 19:39
I've had a play with a SkyQ LNB today, I can confirm it's FBC with a LO frequency of 10.410GHz. They are Full Band Coverage, ie no band switching, so the full range can be covered with just 2 feeds from the dish (H + V). This was a dedicated SkyQ LNB and not the hybrid, that would need some signalling sent to the LNB to switch it to Q mode, otherwise all 6 outputs are standard Universal.

I tested with an Ultimo4k with a FBC tuner, it works with a single polarity but as yet, there is no way to tell the 1st input it's a single polarity, eg H or V only with the 2nd input being the opposite polarity. The 2 output standard SkyQ LNB has a single H and a single V output

abu baniaz
24-01-18, 03:52
You are describing a Wideband LNB. Can you please not call it an FBC LNB as it just adds confusion for the masses.

If I am mistaken, please post a link to a datasheet that calls it an FBC LNB.

lincsat
24-01-18, 13:42
"Wideband" was the name given to LNB's that could access the whole lower band before the "Universal" LNB came along. From memory, a standard LNB covered 10.95-11.7GHz and a "Wideband" covered 10.7-11.7GHz. These SkyQ cover the Full Band from 10.7-12.75 without switching.

I have not seen any datasheet for the SkyQ LNB