PDA

View Full Version : Dolby Digital Sound on French 5 deg w Multistreams

moulin
11-01-18, 11:58
Just received a promotional email from the sponsors advertising Mutant HD51 with DVB-S2X tuner etc.

Would like a second receiver capable of receiving the French TV Multistreams on 5 deg W - I already have an Octagon 4008. Would have bought an OCtagon SX88 like a shot, but it doesn't do Dolby Digital sound which is required for all but one of the French channels.

I'm afraid I'm pretty dumb, does this (new?) Mutant which they're advertising do Dolby Digital....?

Thanks.

twol
11-01-18, 12:24
The HD51 has been around for about a year, only has 2 tuners compared to the Octagon SF4008, but overall (in my view) is the better box and offers more (delivered) features.
Well if the SF4008 delivers DD on your French channels then Yes, so will the HD51..and more

moulin
11-01-18, 12:37
Thanks for that twol. I'd fallen into the trap of thinking this was new, but what I think is new is the price and the availablilty of DVB-S2X.

AIUI the Octagon 4008 production has the DD licence, and the chip inside is therefore capable of decoding it. Also AIUI with the SX88 they took the decicion not to buy the DD licence and so that box will NEVER be suitable for French TV via multistream.

But from what you say it sounds as though the Mutant is compatible. I might give it a go....

twol
11-01-18, 15:09
e,g, BBC HD has AC3 and the Mutant HD51 plays 5.1 quite happily-
The s2x tuner came out around 3Q2017 and uses the follow-on chip to the one in the SF4008

moulin
11-01-18, 16:55
Thanks again twol. I'm not technical enough to say what it is about the French Multistreams that causes the trouble, is it perhaps that they are DD and NOTHING else, whereas the BBC sound is a choice of various....? As I say it's a deal breaker for the SX88 but sounds as though it isn't for the Mutant 51. Of course whether or not I'd ever get it working is another matter, the Octagon 4008 tested my patience to the limit (although now I've got it programmed it's fine, although I leave it alone and alter NOTHING now it's working.

maxben
11-01-18, 22:26
No problem with the HD51 on French audio channels on 5w MS but most of the tracks are AC3+.

My LG TVs can decode AC3+ but the Samsungs can't.

ronand
11-01-18, 23:55
Neither my amp nor TV decode AC+ from my Solo2 but turning on AC3 downmix solves it although its only 2 channel audio. Tested on one of the Movistar channels on 19e as I cant receive multistream transponders.

moulin
14-01-18, 10:55
Thanks for the further comments.

ronand
14-01-18, 12:15
There is a FTA test channel on 5W - Fransat Info HD which you can use to test the AC3+ sound with your existing receiver.