PDA

View Full Version : [Formuler F1] Why is transcode limited in resolution and bitrate

disneysw
29-12-17, 11:45
Why is transcoding support for the formuler1 limited to a maximum of 1mbit bitrate and a resolution of 416x216 pixels? While this may be fine for streaming to a cheap phone or tablet its useless for HD devices on a local LAN.

I have tried hacking /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/MultiTransCodingSetup/plugin.py to force it to support other modes by faking the box ID but unfortunatly there was no impact. I also tried modifying the encoder directly via /proc/stb/encoder/0 but again without sucess which makes me think it is a driver enforced limitation. Will this ever change or is the source available to build a Linux kernel for this box so I can look at it myself?

ccs
29-12-17, 11:59
Isn't the answer to not use transcoding on your local lan?

disneysw
29-12-17, 14:38
Isn't the answer to not use transcoding on your local lan?

Using a PC with VLC is fine for streamed HD but I want to use firesticks (already deployed) and they choke with presented with a raw DVB-C HD stream. Transcoding could fix that by ensuring the HD streams have the right profile. I don't think it is specifically a bitrate issue since the SD streams are normally Mpeg2 encoded and require similar bandwidth to HD streams encoded with H.264.

Anyway it is frustrating as I am so close to having my perfect solution by using Dreamplayer on the firesticks and the Formuler1 as a headend.

ccs
29-12-17, 14:43
DreamPlayer + FireTV + ET10k works ok for me, although I hardly ever use it.

If PC + VLC is ok, then the problem appears to be at the FireStick/DreamPlayer end, or wifi bandwidth.

Trial
29-12-17, 14:49
Hi,
simple answer to your original question: It is a hardware limitation. If you need better transcoding you need another box.

ciao

disneysw
29-12-17, 15:41
Ok, so I just discovered that DVB-C (cable) HD streams use Mpeg2 and not Mpeg4 like DVB-S/DVB-T.

So they do require a lot more bandwidth which the firestick is unlikely to ever support so transcoding is my only real option.

Which brings me back to the first question of why does the Formuler1 have so few options. I mean it obviously has a hardware scaler and H.264 encoder to provide its current level of transcoding. A higher quality transcoding output requires less processing power (though more memory and higher internal bus bandwith neither of which I would have thought would be a problem for this box).

ccs
29-12-17, 16:07
I assume you're using the ViX image "Formuler 1 – With transcoding support" ?

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/forumler-images/formuler-1-with-transcoding-support/

disneysw
29-12-17, 16:28
I assume you're using the ViX image "Formuler 1 – With transcoding support" ?

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/forumler-images/formuler-1-with-transcoding-support/

Yes.

But the highest selectable quality for the transcoder output on the ew7356 and formuler1tc is 416x216@1Mbit which is unusable on anything but a phone.

gibbletts
29-12-17, 19:31
Dream player doesn’t work for me on hd channels, I have a duo 2 The best results for me are using kodi and vu+ pvr addon works no problem.

ccs
29-12-17, 22:22
Dream player doesn’t work for me on hd channels, I have a duo 2 The best results for me are using kodi and vu+ pvr addon works no problem.Do you mean HD recordings don't play at all, because it works for me, or are you saying playback is not HD quality?

disneysw
30-12-17, 00:17
Do you mean HD recordings don't play at all, because it works for me, or are you saying playback is not HD quality?

None of Virgin media HD streams will play back using streaming. HD freesat channels like BBC HD one are fine.

The difference is Freesat HD streams use H.264 (i.e. MPEG4) while the virgin media HD channels are using MPEG2.

The H.264 streams have a much higher compression ratio than MPEG2 so use a lot less bandwidth to send the quality of video image. There are a lot of factors but generally HD H.264 streams compresses to around the same bitrate as MPEG2 SD streams.

If you are telling me Virgin Media HD channels work fine for you using a firestick I am curious as to how it works for you.

I have high quality 802.11ac WiFi hardwired throughout the house which has been checked with heatmapper (very cool app) all coming back to an enterpriise grade hub. I know from experence the internal network can support multiple 50-80MB streams easly between devices without blocking. So I do not beleive I have any form of network issue.

The firesticks I have are generation one devices but I doubt even the newer V2 units will work with MPEG2 HD streams. The original Fire TV with the ethernet port might work.

But hey I could be wrong and simply missing something :-)

disneysw
30-12-17, 00:24
Dream player doesn’t work for me on hd channels, I have a duo 2 The best results for me are using kodi and vu+ pvr addon works no problem.

I tried the kodi plugin about a year ago with a different box but gave up on it due to stability issues.

Will try it again to see if it has improved with the updates that have happened since then.

disneysw
30-12-17, 01:03
I tried the kodi plugin about a year ago with a different box but gave up on it due to stability issues.

Will try it again to see if it has improved with the updates that have happened since then.

Well you are right!

I have only done a quick test but the kodi plugin does seem able to playback HD MPEG2 streams with only the odd minor glitch.

Will experement some more but if the plugin works I will be a happy bunny :-)

Thanks

disneysw
30-12-17, 01:06
Do you mean HD recordings don't play at all, because it works for me, or are you saying playback is not HD quality?

Funny I noticed after your comment that Virgin Media HD recordings are stored in MP4 (H.264) format even though the streamed channel is MPEG2.

So recording playback was always fine.

ccs
30-12-17, 11:58
Just, to clarify, as I'm probably making confusing statements, I'm referring to freeview HD recordings playing back on a fire TV V1.

Even Wifi worked fine until about a year ago, so I'm now using Ethernet.

gibbletts
30-12-17, 12:49
As an update kodi is now available on Xbox one, I have an s in the bedroom after upgrading to the x downstairs and have to say if you have the option go that route the picture quality using the pvr addon is way better than using a firestick and no glitching, wether that’s down to it being based on the windows version or the extra power/memory of the Xbox I don’t know but it makes quite a difference.

Trial
30-12-17, 14:08
Hi,

Which brings me back to the first question of why does the Formuler1 have so few options. I mean it obviously has a hardware scaler and H.264 encoder to provide its current level of transcoding. A higher quality transcoding output requires less processing power (though more memory and higher internal bus bandwith neither of which I would have thought would be a problem for this box).

have you read and understood that it is a hardware limitation of the low cost broadcom chip used in the cheaper boxes?

ciao