PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Ultimo] Software update

Hamram
27-12-17, 15:51
When I choose the update option in the menu, I get a message telling me that there's a problem retrieving the update list. If I use the Image manager in the Vix-menu, I can download and install updates, but then I have to install everything (plugging and settings) from the backup files, and that's a bit annoying, as the box then crash and restart on the first attempt. When it starts over again, I can go to the backup manager and run the latest backup file. This will get me most of my plugins, but not all. So I always have to do some restoration manually.
Edit: I wasn't able to get down epgrefresh manually either this time.
Edit 2: It was there. Only had to restart.

Is there anything I can do to get the updates through the "ordinary" update? It was always nice to read about the changes made, before I chose to go for it, and it was great to get it all ready at once, without struggling to get it restored.

ccs
27-12-17, 15:56
Which version of ViX were you updating from?

abu baniaz
27-12-17, 16:31
Which image are you using at the moment? You have entered 5.1 004, is this the current version you have?

Issue this command and post back the results

opkg update && opkg list-upgradable

Hamram
27-12-17, 17:22
I was at 5.1.004, but did a manual update to 5.1.006. I can go back to 004, and try what you suggest, if it has any meaning..?

Regarding the other post: It must have been posted twice by accident, as I was prompted to log in just as I posted it.

Edit: I ran the commando in 006, and it now will search for new updates. I guess this was the trick! Thanx a whole lot!

abu baniaz
27-12-17, 17:23
There is no automatic update. All updates are manual.

Hamram
27-12-17, 17:33
There is no automatic update. All updates are manual.
Automatic, as in press update, and nothing more needed.

abu baniaz
27-12-17, 17:37
So what is manual update please?

Hamram
27-12-17, 17:46
So what is manual update please?

When I have to go to the Vix-menu, Image manager, choose download, pick the version I need, download it, and then install it. Afterwards I'll have to restore all settings and plugins. This is what I speak of as manual update.

abu baniaz
27-12-17, 18:19
Please do not confuse terms.

Software update = software update.
Flash image = flash image
Restore settings = restore settings
Restore settings and plugins = restore settings and plugins

So, someone could say:
I couldn't perform a software update. I had to flash the newest image using Image manger then restore my settings and plugins.

EDIT:
A definite way of finding out why a software update does not work is to issue the command posted in post 3. You will see exactly where/why it fails. Normally people add some feeds and they can no longer access them, so opkg fails.