PDA

View Full Version : First impressions

lnoton
12-12-17, 20:53
Looks better than the technomate.

Not crashed either! Was nice to be greated by an install wizard unlike the ones I got from the rain forest.

Plugged in some external drives for the moment until I'm happy.

Couple of issues with timeshift, when I pause and click play it jumps forward to live. Doesn't happen all the time. This might be that I'm not having it long enough? But not as slick as the Humax.

The next 24hrs will be crucial to confirm if the experience I've had with the technomate happens with this box in my environment. Both the same version of openvix..actually no this is the newest 5.1.003 release.

Gone a step further on step up with this one and installed picons.

Topmetom
12-12-17, 22:17
Damn just saw this..should i of waited?

lnoton
12-12-17, 22:39
Should have waited for what?

lnoton
13-12-17, 08:48
Woke to a working box. Good sign! Give it till tomorrow.

Box feels so much cooler than the technomate. That was hot to touch (both of them, although the replacement I had was cooler), this is just warm and has no fans. Must have a kick ass passive heatsink.

It also feels more responsive, they're the same chipset so why so many differences?

Topmetom
13-12-17, 11:26
Get mine tomorrow. Glad its working ok the zgemma i had freezes constantly

lnoton
13-12-17, 12:59
So far so good.

I've noticed some stuttering today though this morning :-( I had to reboot the box to make it go away.

Sicilian
13-12-17, 14:05
So far so good.

I've noticed some stuttering today though this morning :-( I had to reboot the box to make it go away.

Stuttering on Freesat? If so you better check your satellite feeds, LNB and dish alignment.

lnoton
13-12-17, 16:52
Dish is rock solid. This is a box feature. Might be a one off. I've turned on logging to see if that gives any information next time something bad happens.

So far so good mind.

Sicilian
13-12-17, 16:54
Dish is rock solid. This is a box feature. Might be a one off. I've turned on logging to see if that gives any information next time something bad happens.

So far so good mind.

Remember bad weather can affect satellite signal.

I've been using one for over a week know and its been rock solid with satellite tuners and extra twin hybrid tuner. Excellent box imo.

Topmetom
14-12-17, 16:26
Blimey...good german manual....hehe

Sicilian
14-12-17, 17:02
Blimey...good german manual....hehe

Manual a bit pointless less when using openvix, but GB are aware and working on an English manual for download.

In all honesty it’s rare for any e2 boxes to come with manuals these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topmetom
14-12-17, 17:09
Just thought was humorous..just plugged box in stuck on video input page...ok button does nothing?:confused:

Sicilian
14-12-17, 17:11
Just thought was humorous..just plugged box in stuck on video input page...ok button does nothing?:confused:

Press ‘giga’ button on the remote then operate the receiver.

Topmetom
14-12-17, 17:28
Press ‘giga’ button on the remote then operate the receiver.

Doh...must put reading glasses on....maybe i should of had the, on when i ordered the single hybrid tuner..and i should of got the twin....flippin iriot

twol
14-12-17, 18:37
I have been using its big brother since release in May, and it has been rock solid, although with a few issues and missing features that have been fixed (other than things like HbbTv which is not really a UK requirement).
... so I certainly would not expect any issues on the UE. Regarding Freesat, I am really on the fringe of reception for these services (even with a 1.5M dish), and have no issues at the moment (Summer time signals degrade, but that is a signal issue, not the receiver) ... so I really think that Sicilian is correct about the weather

Topmetom
14-12-17, 21:09
How do you add the ccam on the box?the only ones in the plugins is oscam?
On my zgem i could do it through windows , was very easy into a keys folder

Sicilian
14-12-17, 21:12
How do you add the ccam on the box?the only ones in the plugins is oscam

No arm based 4k receiver supports CCcam, they only use OScam.

Google 'CCcam to OScam Converter'. Not something we provide support for here.

Topmetom
14-12-17, 21:28
Apologies, and thanks for that answer. Been googling all arvo, will ask for oscam thank you youve been super helpful

ccs
14-12-17, 22:41
I was wondering when you'd start asking this type of question.:)

lnoton
15-12-17, 17:16
No idea about cams. Might look in to it another time.

So far super impressed. Just install HDD I had.

Couple of observations:

This picture did start to have a stutter fest. Reboot fixed it. Only happened once and not since.
Cooler than the technomate
No crashes or UI hangs like the technomate, which basically made it useless for me. Two boxes did this!
Feels faster than the technomate.
Gigablue app is alright, cant seek through recordings though. Can with the dream player app.
Pause and play fails if you do it too soon (10seconds) which is annoying.
No idea how to use hbbtv and even if it can be used in UK. Isn't this freeview play?
Screen has a blue tinge at my viewing angle.
Tempted to get the t2 add on so I can use freeview as well.

Sicilian
15-12-17, 17:36
Have you enabled timeshif in settings? If so how many seconds before it starts?

Hbbtv not for uk.

Try blackbox app.

Topmetom
15-12-17, 18:47
Thanks for yor help, sorry i broke the rules.

Topmetom
18-12-17, 21:12
All sorted now, thanks everyone.
New questions? What plugins do you all use? Any tips?

gmanpanthro
22-12-17, 01:21
Would this box work from a regular quad sky lnb using the 2 cables that i currently use on my zgemma h2s? And if not what would i need to buy lnb wise, in order to make it work alongside a regualr sky hd box working using the other 2 lnb cables?

Sicilian
22-12-17, 06:28
Would this box work from a regular quad sky lnb using the 2 cables that i currently use on my zgemma h2s? And if not what would i need to buy lnb wise, in order to make it work alongside a regualr sky hd box working using the other 2 lnb cables?

Yes would work fine.

Iya
02-01-18, 05:06
Fantastic box. Used it to record all the Xmas shows. ordered a fbc lnb. Will install next week <gulp> Wish me luck

Topmetom
21-01-18, 21:21
Tbh its not missed a beat..unlike that pile of zgem

lnoton
29-01-18, 10:47
its a good box. my only disappointment is the crappy front screen is bright white face on , but dirty brown at an angle. I sit on an angle.

Topmetom
04-02-18, 11:35
Id like it to display the time when on, not just in standby. When i say I , really mean the wife!

twol
04-02-18, 11:50
.......... well it does ... at least on my Giga4K .... top right corner.
Not something I have played with, so it must be the default LCD skin.

Topmetom
18-02-18, 09:55
Well a couple of months in, and gotta say its a great box. No faults at all...like to find some 4k stuff to watch though?

lnoton
20-02-18, 21:53
Yup good box. Can someone link me the dvb-t2 add-on card. I'm not sure which one is compatible...none look right.

lnoton
28-02-18, 00:54
Anyone?

Does WoS sell this?

http://www.gigablue.de/portfolio-item/gigablue-dvb-c-t2-h-265-2/

Andy_Hazza
28-02-18, 08:02
No, WoS currently don’t stock them.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
28-02-18, 15:56
Anyone?

Does WoS sell this?

http://www.gigablue.de/portfolio-item/gigablue-dvb-c-t2-h-265-2/

Yes in stock.

Order here:https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/Plug-and-Play-Digital-Tuner-modules/GiGaBlue-Tuners/GiGaBlue-Twin-Hybrid-DVB-C-DVB-T2-tuner-Module

In order comments place a note saying 'please send new version for UHD UE 4K'.

lnoton
28-02-18, 21:04
Yes in stock.

Order here:https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/Plug-and-Play-Digital-Tuner-modules/GiGaBlue-Tuners/GiGaBlue-Twin-Hybrid-DVB-C-DVB-T2-tuner-Module

In order comments place a note saying 'please send new version for UHD UE 4K'.

Thanks! Ordered.

BTW. I'm running open vix...do I need to reset or reflash..or just shutdown, install and turn back on?

twol
28-02-18, 21:09
You should be able to plugin, reboot and then go to tuner setup to enable the new tuner.

lnoton
03-03-18, 00:20
Thanks.

Finally..i see I have I and j tuners. I've set both to dvb-t2...how many simultaneous channels can each tuner run?

ccs
03-03-18, 00:24
... You can probably record 8 channels as long as they're on no more than 2 mux's.

Most of the HD channels are on the same mux, so bbc1 hd 1 ,itv1 hd ,channel 4 hd etc can all be easily recorded at the same time.

lnoton
03-03-18, 00:25
Must say. Having this box over humax and sky is soo much better.

Apparently I can point at another sat and get F1 from a German channel too! Need to look into that.

abu baniaz
03-03-18, 01:26
I am inclined to close this thread so you can start a "topic specific" thread.

EDIT:
Thread has is now closed.

I have moved the EPG posts into their own thread.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?59065-Freeview-EPG