PDA

View Full Version : Help

Iya
10-12-17, 19:08
Hi
New Twin 4k. Flashed with Openvix by wos/ 320Gb HDD.
Connected up after unpacking, and booted OK. Connected to my network and (rather foolishly perhaps) got it to update vix.
This didn't seem to work, as all I got was a continuously flashing green LED.
Downloaded via PC, a vix image (5.1.002 I think it was)....unzipped to USB, and reflashed.
I now had a box that no longer connected to my network, and weirdly I got "keybounce" on the remote. Each button behaved as if I'd pressed it twice in quick succession. Also, the coloured buttons (for close, save etc) were completely ineffectual.
Flashed OpenATV 6.0, and (although the network didn't work) all seemed to be OK, so much so that I configured the box to receive 13.0, 19.2, 26.0 and 28.2E FTA. Over 1200 channels. Great, I thought (but miffed that the network adapter seemed to be dead).

After a day, wanted to go back to vix, so downloaded 5.1.003, and I was back to a bouncing remote, and unable to configure any tuners (because of the key bounce making things a pain in the a**e).

Am I doing something wrong ( I am a complete noob with this sort of satellite receiver, but have 40 years in I.T. behind me), OR do I have a duff box?

Cheers
Ivor

1554leslie
10-12-17, 19:22
Try an earlier vix version

Iya
10-12-17, 20:47
UPDATE:

Left the box powered-up (with 5.1.003) and went to have something to eat. 30 mins later, came back to a box that behaved (no key bounce) !!???!!??.
Have once again configured to 4 sats (Love the standard epg by the way), but still no Network (Remember, it WAS working when first used...DHCP/name server / ip address assigned all correctly), but now...nothing.

lnoton
10-12-17, 22:10
Seems odd. I've had no luck with these boxes. As Leslie said, go back to a 5.0x build. They we're stabler for me, but still crashed.

Send mine back tomorrow. I've had two with same and different issues.

TBH...utter rubbish if you ask me.

I'm gonna get a vu uno I think. The gigsblue and bigger Vu boxes have screens on as if theyre for pub av shelves.

Sicilian
10-12-17, 22:37
Seems odd. I've had no luck with these boxes. As Leslie said, go back to a 5.0x build. They we're stabler for me, but still crashed.

Theres no issue with OpenViX and the TM-Twin 4k. Since reading about your issues I've actually had one setup testing latest builds for 5 days now with zero issues.

Send mine back tomorrow. I've had two with same and different issues.

So you keep posting..... :rolleyes:

TBH...utter rubbish if you ask me.

Or maybe its an issue with your environment or how you setup the receiver.

The gigsblue and bigger Vu boxes have screens on as if theyre for pub av shelves.

Jeez your hard to please :eek:

cactikid
10-12-17, 23:53
what way is box connected to internet hard wired / homeplugs / wifi ? did you retry rebooting box and router?

lnoton
11-12-17, 07:42
Sorry guys. I didn't mean the tone that came across clearly.

I spent several hours over many days with both to see the same lock ups.

I'm sure it a comparability issue at least. I'd love to have spent more time troubleshooting, but I only have one sat feed and a wife and kid that are still wondering why the humax isn't good enough lol..

Sicilian
11-12-17, 07:48
Sorry guys. I didn't mean the tone that came across clearly.

I spent several hours over many days with both to see the same lock ups.

I'm sure it a comparability issue at least. I'd love to have spent more time troubleshooting, but I only have one sat feed and a wife and kid that are still wondering why the humax isn't good enough lol..

I think you where just unlucky. I know you mentioned the VU+ Uno 4K, good box, but I'd seriously consider the Gigablue UHD Ultra UE: https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/gigablue-uhd-ue-4k

The colour LCD is prob the smallest out of all the LCD displays, excellent fast box. Comes with a superb remote also.

Iya
11-12-17, 14:43
what way is box connected to internet hard wired / homeplugs / wifi ? did you retry rebooting box and router?

Its been wired to a 4-way unmanaged hub and also directly into the back of my Sky hub4 router.
Its odd that it worked initally and has now stopped, and there are NO activity LEDs blinking on the back. Dead adapter??

Iya

ccs
11-12-17, 14:49
There is a network test you can run when configuring the adapter - does that show up anything?

Iya
11-12-17, 14:52
I think you where just unlucky. I know you mentioned the VU+ Uno 4K, good box, but I'd seriously consider the Gigablue UHD Ultra UE: https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/gigablue-uhd-ue-4k

The colour LCD is prob the smallest out of all the LCD displays, excellent fast box. Comes with a superb remote also.

I've opened a support ticket with wos, and said that if it can't be fixed, I want to reject the Techno under distance selling regs, and get either a VU+ uno or a gigablue 4k.
I am a complete noob to these kind of sat receivers, having used the one built into my LG 4k oled tv and very old something or other sold by Maplin. The fact that I can flash firmware/OS and that these have network connectivity is what I wanted (but years ago).

Iya

Iya
11-12-17, 15:03
There is a network test you can run when configuring the adapter - does that show up anything?

You mean the "built in" network tester?

Lan Adapter Ticked (OK)
Local disconnected (x)
DHCP enabled (tick)
IP address unconfirmed (x)
Nameserver unconfirmed (x)

which is exactly what I get if I don't plug anything into ethernet.:confused:

ccs
11-12-17, 15:35
.... I get that if all my Lan devices are disabled. Daft question, is your Ethernet adapter enabled? (Use interface=yes)

Iya
11-12-17, 16:48
.... I get that if all my Lan devices are disabled. Daft question, is your Ethernet adapter enabled? (Use interface=yes)

Oh yes.
Its going back to wos for test.
Being a noob, I have NO idea which receiver brand / model is considered to be "the best", not just from a functionality point of view, but also a reliability one.
The only "name" name I remember from 15 years ago is Topfield, but they've probably been surpassed by the myriad of others (chinese clones or whatever)

Sicilian
11-12-17, 17:09
and get either a VU+ uno or a gigablue 4k.

Gigablue UHD UE 4K very nice spec and value for money, superb remote too: https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/gigablue-uhd-ue-4k

adm
11-12-17, 17:43
#
The only "name" name I remember from 15 years ago is Topfield, but they've probably been surpassed by the myriad of others (chinese clones or whatever)

Topfield effectively abandoned their UK user base a decade ago but third party software and bug fixes written by a few customers kept the original boxes going. Many Topfiled users seem to have migrated to Enigma 2 boxes in the past 4 years or so.

Iya
11-12-17, 20:30
Gigablue ordered.
Noobie question.....do i need special LNB to use with the FBC tuner, or can I use my "ordinary" Primesat LNB?

lnoton
11-12-17, 20:55
Hi lya,

I've just ordered a gigablue 4k ue.

I've returned my technos to the rainforest. Hopefully I'll get on better with this.

What's a primesat lnb? Im assuming my standard sky dish will do the job. The tuners might be smarter or have a wider band, but I doubt that forces a better lnb? No idea though.

Did you go for the UE model?

twol
11-12-17, 21:42
@iya @inoton
Giag UE 4K, is a very nice receiver, but..
To get any real benefit from the fbc tuners, you need a new unicable lnb ... so you need to do some reading on the fbc/unicable requirements ... would have been better before ordering, but better late than never:)

lnoton
11-12-17, 21:55
Eek. Will I be able to watch freesat with my current dish (from sky)

abu baniaz
11-12-17, 22:42
Unicable and FBC tuners are two different technologies.

You can use a standard tuner with a unicable LNB. This is more versatile. If more people use them, prices might come down quicker.

You can also use an FBC tuner with a standard/universal LNB. You do not need a unicable LNB with FBC tuners.
Yes, a unicable LNB with an FBC satellite tuner will give more access to signal stream

twol
11-12-17, 23:04
Abu as usual is correct, but having only a dual FBC tuner (only option with the Giga 4K) for DVB-S2 and then sticking a normal LNB on the end of the cable kind of removes the point of buying the receiver... and changing the LNB to a Unicable LNB is not a big deal in terms of fitting or cost............ but if you don‘t want to watch and record a great deal then stay with your current LNB‘S

cactikid
12-12-17, 00:28
You mean the "built in" network tester?

Lan Adapter Ticked (OK)
Local disconnected (x)
DHCP enabled (tick)
IP address unconfirmed (x)
Nameserver unconfirmed (x)

which is exactly what I get if I don't plug anything into ethernet.:confused:

i would get those readings when not connected to internet and a reboot of box and router would fix it.

you mentioned sky hub which got me thinking if possible could there be a shield stopping network connections?

Sicilian
12-12-17, 07:39
Eek. Will I be able to watch freesat with my current dish (from sky)

Yes don't worry, FBC tuners are backwards compatible with standard legacy LNB's, if you ever decide to change your LNB go for Unicable and set the tuners to unicable.

lnoton
12-12-17, 10:40
Cool. My box is OFD. So I'll be back on in a bit reporting the same issue I had with my technomate lol.

Another price drop on them btw. I know wos sells them...but stupidly priced else where at the mo.