PDA

View Full Version : AD/Linux Kernel has Changed/USB Flash HELP!!!

Trem
09-12-17, 13:43
Hi, I was about to flash the new Vix today to hopefully resolve the audio description problem on lots of channels. I am currently on Vix 5.0.023. But for once I have been cautious in my approach. I wanted to check everything and back up my current image. I have done that (the back up) so my drive is fine and Ext4. What I can't do is download an image through the Vix option nor via my drive because I do not have a file manager installed (pretty sure I did once). If I choose to update through Vix over the air it says the Linux Kernel has changed and to use an image with file manager/USB stick. If I go to plugins I get the same error when trying to download any more.

I have read about the plugin support being stopped for XP boxes but has this extended to this box?

If I flash my box by doing it the old fashioned way will the plugins be supported/available afterwards or will I be knackered? I'm just being super careful to avoid any further problems.

Please help, I haven't had this box terribly long, as always bought from WoS.

Andy_Hazza
09-12-17, 14:09
So pressing Blue button > ViX > Image Manager > Yellow Button, you don’t have option to download (Green Button) 5.1.003?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trem
09-12-17, 15:04
So pressing Blue button > ViX > Image Manager > Yellow Button, you don’t have option to download (Green Button) 5.1.003?

Not on my current Vix version, no. It gives the kernel error.

My biggest worry is if I do the box off/usb drive in with firmware/box on method and it gets flashed I won't be able to access the plugins/cams etc. I guess my post started a bit misleading about my concerns. It's just worrying/confusing why I can't get any plugins to download although that *may* not be an issue if I update.

Andy_Hazza
09-12-17, 15:08
You can restore settings and plugins when updated to 5.1.003, just follow onscreen when prompted to select your backup.

Zappas
09-12-17, 15:43
Hey, I as wondering what the latest update 5.1.003 offers over the previous one, where can I read about the details please and is it necessary to update to this at this stage?

Ashley69
09-12-17, 15:50
I thought you had audio issues. This will resolve it.

ccs
09-12-17, 16:02
Not on my current Vix version, no. It gives the kernel error.

My biggest worry is if I do the box off/usb drive in with firmware/box on method and it gets flashed I won't be able to access the plugins/cams etc. I guess my post started a bit misleading about my concerns. It's just worrying/confusing why I can't get any plugins to download although that *may* not be an issue if I update.
You should be able to download the latest image using image manager - it sounds like you're trying to do software update, which won't work.

Try reading the 5.1 release notes.....

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/2017/11/20/openvix-5-1-released/

Trem
10-12-17, 13:22
I thought you had audio issues. This will resolve it.
Yes I do, audio description. Not sure if the previous poster does as well. But as an answer to him/her, if you have AD on channels and you can't switch it off this update solves that.

You should be able to download the latest image using image manager - it sounds like you're trying to do software update, which won't work.

Try reading the 5.1 release notes.....

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/2017/11/20/openvix-5-1-released/

I shall study more but I honestly could not get anything to work no matter what, it isn't a massive worry, more of a thing to point out to you guys I guess but my biggest worry is the plugin issue if/when I do update. As you can tell by my lack of posts I do try to sort things out by reading first before posting on here.

You can restore settings and plugins when updated to 5.1.003, just follow onscreen when prompted to select your backup.

This may sound stupid but if I don't ask etc. You know the back up I do, that is just my settings and what not then? It isn't backing up the whole image? I was under the impression if I restored my back up after a new image has been flashed it would revert it to what it once was. It's brilliant if it just does my settings/plugins (that are current on the server, I understand that).

Cheers for your help so far guys.

ccs
10-12-17, 13:31
Assuming your box is the Edision OS-Mini+ Plus, the latest image is here... http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/edision-images/edision-os-mini-plus/

Plugins are available for 5.1.nnn releases, but your current version, 5.0.023 no longer has a plugin feed.

I'd take an image backup, a settings backup and then couch flash 5.1.003, followed by a settings and plugin restore.

Going back to

does Menu > Setup > ViX > Image manager not give you the yellow button option to download??

Trem
11-12-17, 11:00
Assuming your box is the Edision OS-Mini+ Plus, the latest image is here... http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/edision-images/edision-os-mini-plus/

Plugins are available for 5.1.nnn releases, but your current version, 5.0.023 no longer has a plugin feed.

I'd take an image backup, a settings backup and then couch flash 5.1.003, followed by a settings and plugin restore.

Going back to

does Menu > Setup > ViX > Image manager not give you the yellow button option to download??

Yes it gives me the option to download then I get the kernel has changed error once I have pressed it.

Can you please confirm with me how to do a plugin/settings back up? I have done a back up but aren't sure what that has covered, I saw no seperate options for anything else regarding plugins/settings within the backup menu, or have I missed it?

Thank you.

Edit - I am sorry for the questions but I do think quite a few will be in the same situation as me and hopefully this will cover their problem as well. It's a snow day today so I might go for it!!

ccs
11-12-17, 11:20
Yes it gives me the option to download then I get the kernel has changed error once I have pressed it.

Can you please confirm with me how to do a plugin/settings back up? I have done a back up but aren't sure what that has covered, I saw no seperate options for anything else regarding plugins/settings within the backup menu, or have I missed it?

Thank you.

Menu > Setup > ViX > Backup manager and select new backup (green).

This will backup all your settings and plugin details, so they can be restored after re-flashing the box.

I can't see how you are getting this kernel error - can you post a screenshot?

Edit: Are you sure the box's network connection is working ok?

twol
11-12-17, 14:17
Hi, I was about to flash the new Vix today to hopefully resolve the audio description problem on lots of channels. I am currently on Vix 5.0.023. But for once I have been cautious in my approach. I wanted to check everything and back up my current image. I have done that (the back up) so my drive is fine and Ext4. What I can't do is download an image through the Vix option nor via my drive because I do not have a file manager installed (pretty sure I did once). If I choose to update through Vix over the air it says the Linux Kernel has changed and to use an image with file manager/USB stick. If I go to plugins I get the same error when trying to download any more.

I have read about the plugin support being stopped for XP boxes but has this extended to this box?

If I flash my box by doing it the old fashioned way will the plugins be supported/available afterwards or will I be knackered? I'm just being super careful to avoid any further problems.

Please help, I haven't had this box terribly long, as always bought from WoS.
OK, like others I am confused :)
ImageManager as far as I can see doesn't have a kernel check and why would it as it's replacing an image and then you update plugins from feeds.
Backup Manager, does but most msgs only go in logs and this check although in the code is superseded.
Software Update Does have checks and issues messages to the screen, because it will not allow an update by a user where the kernel has changed.

So can you post a screen image to show exactly when you get this message and the exact message ?:)

abu baniaz
11-12-17, 17:13
Have you seen this?
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?47588-Image-backup-and-flashing-Settings-backup-and-restores

Trem
12-12-17, 11:07
Hi guys, I did it yesterday via the USB drive method. Haven't messed so much yet due to the wife and kids having a snow day as well.