PDA

View Full Version : Box enters standby mode randomly and refuses to power back up.

brobins
16-11-17, 12:28
Hi there,

I've had this box for a few months and think its great, very quick.

The problem I have been having with it is that the box seems to randomly go into standby mode and locks up, refusing the power back up without turning the power off / on. I am at a bit of a loss with it and begining the think there is a hardware fault.

Has anybody experienced anything similar and would anybody be able to assit me in narrowing down the issue?

Many Thanks,

Ben

twol
16-11-17, 12:40
Which Image?, version? debug logs????

ccs
16-11-17, 13:01
Are you using hdmi cec?

brobins
16-11-17, 13:09
Hi,

Using latest VIX image. HDMI Cec is disabled.

Tbh I think I may have isolated the issue. There was a rather poorly designed fused 2 pin to 3 pin adapter supplied with the box that feels a bit wobbly/loose. I have just replaced it with another, better fitting adapter and all seems to be opperating fine. I will monitor over the next few days to see if it remains stable.

Thanks

brobins
16-11-17, 16:07
Hi,

Using latest VIX image. HDMI Cec is disabled.

Tbh I think I may have isolated the issue. There was a rather poorly designed fused 2 pin to 3 pin adapter supplied with the box that feels a bit wobbly/loose. I have just replaced it with another, better fitting adapter and all seems to be opperating fine. I will monitor over the next few days to see if it remains stable.

Thanks

Ok so that didnt really help. Same thing happened with the better fitting power adapter.
I have attached the latest debug log, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

ccs
16-11-17, 16:11
It looks like you're storing your epg.dat file to internal flash, which is bound to cause problems.

Store it on the hdd.

brobins
16-11-17, 16:22
It looks like you're storing your epg.dat file to internal flash, which is bound to cause problems.

Store it on the hdd.

Ah thanks, just sorted that and saving to the HDD.

Literally just crashed again this minute, here is the crash log.

Thanks

ccs
16-11-17, 16:27
The original epg.dat had probably got corrupted, so moving it to the hdd won't have fixed everything.

You'll need to delete the epg - search the forum for the best way.

eg http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?52890-Remove-EPG

(menu details may have changed recently.)

brobins
16-11-17, 16:41
The original epg.dat had probably got corrupted, so moving it to the hdd won't have fixed everything.

You'll need to delete the epg - search the forum for the best way.

eg http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?52890-Remove-EPG

(menu details may have changed recently.)

I have done this. Will monitor it.

Thanks

brobins
17-11-17, 11:31
I noticed a few other things yesterday that were potentially causing the crashes. There were several mount points in fstab that were no longer available and they were all trying to mount to the same place i.e. /media/hdd/ that cant have been a good thing. I removed the obsolete lines and along with moving the epg so far so good. The box has not crashed since but I will continue to monitor things.

I no longer believe this to be due to a hardware fault or faulty adapter.

Thanks for all the help so far.

adm
17-11-17, 11:47
Have you got any power timers set to put the box into standby at a set time of day or after not using the remote for a certain period? One of my power timers automatically switches the box into standby if I don't use the remote for 3 hours.

brobins
17-11-17, 11:49
Have you got any power timers set to put the box into standby at a set time of day or after not using the remote for a certain period? One of my power timers automatically switches the box into standby if I don't use the remote for 3 hours.

Hi,

Not unless they are setup by default?

The issue I had is that the box was in a crashed state so needed manually rebooting. Seems to be working fine now touch wood.