PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Ultimo] Update

Hamram
29-10-17, 13:35
The last couple of times I've been forced to update my Ultimo with a USB-stick. When I try the update service in the menu, it seems like everything is working just fine, but the box is freezing on the first action in the process. On my TV screen I get the yellow triangle, and the text telling me that the update is being performed, and it will take a few minutes. On the box itself, the display is showing the blue circle with half circles on both sides, and that's it. Nothing more happens. It is not reacting to the remote, and it can probably hang like this forever, if I don't hit the switch on the rear.

Any solution..?

abu baniaz
29-10-17, 13:46
Only realistic way to find problem is to update by command line.

As an alternative to flashing by USB, you can flash newer image using Image Manager, then restore settings/plugins afterwards.

By the way, there is no automatic updates. You have to make the receiver perform an online update, it does not do it automatically.

Hamram
29-10-17, 14:16
Only realistic way to find problem is to update by command line.

As an alternative to flashing by USB, you can flash newer image using Image Manager, then restore settings/plugins afterwards.

By the way, there is no automatic updates. You have to make the receiver perform an online update, it does not do it automatically.

Sorry, my bad... It is the online update I refer to as "automatic update".

abu baniaz
29-10-17, 14:25
Sorry, my bad... It is the online update in Image manager I refer to as "automatic update".

Sorry to be pedantic, but that statement is incorrect too. There is no online update in Image Manager.

You can get to a newer image by doing following:

Online update
Menu > setup > software update > software update

Flash/install using Image Manager
Blue > Vix > Image Manager > Yellow (to download an image) > Blue (flash/install selected image)

Flash/install using USB
Download image to PC > extract > transfer to USB stick > put USB in receiver > reboot > follow receiver specific instructions.

Which exact one are you doing?

Hamram
29-10-17, 14:33
Online Update. (I edited my first reply, probably while you responded to it. I just took it from my memory, but with my remote in hand, I saw I had it wrong.)

abu baniaz
29-10-17, 14:36
Just saw your edited post.

If you want to find the error (it may be fixable), issue this command

init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade

If there are errors, save the output in a document and attach it here. Please don't post a picture.

If it completes without error, issue this one afterwards

init 6

If you need it, guide to issuing the commands in my signature.

If you want to be on newest image and can't be bothered about the errors, flash using Image Manager, then restore settings and plugins. You won't have to re-set your receiver and everything should be as it was within 5 minutes.

ccs
29-10-17, 14:40
... I didn't think an Image Manager flash was available for the VU+ Ultimo?

abu baniaz
29-10-17, 14:44
... I didn't think an Image Manager flash was available for the VU+ Ultimo?
It is for the Ultimo, not the Ultimo 4K though.

iwg
29-10-17, 15:30
Sorry to be pedantic, but that statement is incorrect too. There is no online update in Image Manager.

You can get to a newer image by doing following:

Online update
Menu > setup > software update > software update

Flash/install using Image Manager
Blue > Vix > Image Manager > Yellow (to download an image) > Blue (flash/install selected image)

Flash/install using USB
Download image to PC > extract > transfer to USB stick > put USB in receiver > reboot > follow receiver specific instructions.

Which exact one are you doing?

Thanks Abu - I have over the last few months decided the best way to upgrade is to use the Flash from within Image Manager (the 2nd option Abu lists). There are so many upgrades these days involving "kernel" that prevent Online Update from always working. Happily not had to resort to downloading and flashing from USB lately. I usually find that when I Image Manager flash, there are 2 pending packages if I look in the Online upgrade preview (that is the green dot comes back!). Simply sorted by telnet connection to the box and issuing following commands at the PS1 prompt: opkg list-upgradable # lists 2 pkgs depending on yer plugins
opkg update
opkg upgrade # will take a few mins
opkg list-upgradable # should be blank now
init 6

abu baniaz
29-10-17, 15:55
With regards to the update icon still showing, unless people post what these packages are, it is a guessing game. Listing the available updates should be done before upgrading, otherwise you don't know what is being available. So sequence should be as follows (file created in hdd). Installing somthing newer than what is on the feeds/plugin server also shows as an update. IIRC, downgrade and update are treated the same.

init 4
opkg update
opkg list-upgradable
opkg list-upgradable > /hdd/listofupdates.txt
opkg upgrade
init 6

Hamram
29-10-17, 16:08
OK, this is what I get when I run the command you suggested:

Welcome to OpenViX for vuultimo
openvix 5.0 vuultimo

vuultimo login: root
root@vuultimo:~# init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade
Downloading http://www.openvix.co.uk/feeds/openvix/release/5.0/vuultimo/3rdparty/Packages.gz.
Updated source 'openvix-3rdparty'.
Downloading http://www.openvix.co.uk/feeds/openvix/release/5.0/vuultimo/all/Packages.gz.
Updated source 'openvix-all'.
Downloading http://www.openvix.co.uk/feeds/openvix/release/5.0/vuultimo/mips32el/Packages.gz.
Updated source 'openvix-mips32el'.
Downloading http://www.openvix.co.uk/feeds/openvix/release/5.0/vuultimo/vuultimo/Packages.gz.
Updated source 'openvix-vuultimo'.
Downloading http://www.openvix.co.uk/feeds/openvix/release/5.0/vuultimo/vuultimo_3rdparty/Packages.gz.
Updated source 'openvix-vuultimo_3rdparty'.
root@vuultimo:~#

The box is freezing with the blue circle in the display, and nothing more happens. I then typed in init 6, and then the box restarted, but I don't know if it was the command, or if it would've started anyway.

abu baniaz
29-10-17, 16:13
init 4 puts receiver to sleep, so it would not restart by itself.

perform the following one by one:

opkg update
opkg list-upgradable
opkg list-upgradable > /hdd/listofupdates.txt

There will be a file called listofupdates.txt on your HDD. Attach it here.

Hamram
29-10-17, 16:27
The list was generated, but it was empty. No text in it...:confused:

abu baniaz
29-10-17, 16:34
That should mean update was fine. Please double check you are on 5.0 032.

Hamram
29-10-17, 16:41
Ah, yeah... I'm on 32 now, but I did it using my USB, when online update only froze my box. I will do all this over again, when the next update is due. Thank you very much for your help so far!