grtmoby
18-05-10, 13:16
any advice on how to calibrate my sony 40"
where to get the test screens to send from PC to the vu

Sicilian
18-05-10, 13:20
any advice on how to calibrate my sony 40"
where to get these test screens?

Started another thread for you m8, as the other thread was for a panny plasma :)

Monty
18-05-10, 13:30
The test screens I used to have were taken from a DVE type source.

http://www.videoessentials.com/products_main.php

They were sent to me a long time ago by a friend who had used certain test screens and supplied a simple to follow tutorial.
The results always showed improvement over what I thought were perfect settings prior to the calibration.
There are other versions of calibration screens out there in internet land :)

grtmoby
18-05-10, 13:36
There are other versions of calibration screens out there in internet land :)

it's always good to get a hand so not to be lost in this tiny land :D

Sicilian
18-05-10, 13:39
I'm pretty sure I've got one of them calibration DVD's at home somewhere. I'll have to look round.

grtmoby
18-05-10, 13:41
After digging the "internet land" i found a nice surprise. On any sony BD, if you type in 7669 then enter on the title screen of any sony blu ray, it will open up 4 calibration screens for you to use !

hope this helps others as well...

Here's a short walkthrough of some of the tests included;

'There are a few adjustment where the included test patterns can be particulary useful for getting the best possible picture. Most of our discs have at least 4 test patterns included, SMPTE bars, monoscope, ramp and cross hatch.

The first adjustment I usually concern myself with is the black level or "brightness". Bring up the colorbar signal and pause your player. Turn up your monitor "brightness" and confirm that all 3 pluge chips are visible in the lower right hand corner of the screen. If all three can be seen, then you have confirmed that your player and monitor are passing signals "below black". Next, adjust the brightness control down until the right chip is just visible. You now have an optimum black level setting.

Put the player back into play mode and chapter skip to the next pattern, the monoscope and pause once again. Ideally, you should see a complete image with 16:9 shown at the corners and no truncating of the triangles. If you don't see the full image, check if you monitor supports "full pixel", "dot by dot" or some other description of a mode that allows a 1:1 relationship between the incoming signal and the pixels on your display. Some displays do not allow the disabling of "overscan" so you will not be able to make this adjustment. The monoscope is also useful for checking over sharpening, or filtering of the image. Ideally the round patterns comprised of wedges should be clear, sharp with no asymetrical gray bars or ovals. Distortions in the pattern usually indicate that a scaler is being used in the display. Also check that the squares comprised of 2x2 pixel black squares are distinct. If sharpening is used, the black or white portions of these squares is often exaggerated. And finally can you read the text on the bottom of the pattern for the company that created it? If you can, you are likely getting a full 1920 x 1080 image.

Of course there are many other important settings for Contrast and color, but these settings need to be adjusted according to your average room light. I recommend turning off all of the processing that is available in todays displays such as Noise reduction, DRC (Sony) or whatever a given CE company happens to be calling their image enhancement feature. If you have a good blu-ray disc, "Black Hawk Down" for example, you should be able to see the film grain from the original master faithfully reproduced. If it looks mottled or irregular, there is a good chance your display is using noise reduction or other processing and hurting, rather than helping the picture quality.'

PS3 controller access instructions

From the disc menu press the Green Triangle button to bring up the access icons.

Then simply press 7669 on the numeric keypad and then click the ENTER icon. Speed is not a factor so no need to rush.

All thanks goes to the original data finder and poster of these nice info...